PDA

View Full Version : The destiny of Big Brother 9...

ryanaldinho10
06-02-2008, 12:18 PM
...there were many discussions last year about the mathematics behind whether BB8 would be a success.

Many people predicted BB4+BB4=BB8 for example.

So I thought it would be fun to do a similar thing this year :bigsmile:

Here are a few things I've noticed regarding BB9 and some patterns that have already occured...

BB2 ratings fell after BB1
BB3 ratings rose after BB2
BB4 ratings fell after BB3
BB5 ratings rose after BB4
BB6 ratings fell after BB5
BB7 ratings rose after BB6
BB8 ratings fell after BB7...
...soooooo BB9 ratings/viewing figures/whatever one wants to call them should rise after the dip in BB8.

(Hopefully the above makes sense lol, wasn't too sure how to word it...but basically just think of it as a zig-zag - up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down, now hopefully back up.)

By looking at the above stuff, also notice that generally the odd numbered Big Brothers (eg. BB3) have done better than the Big Brothers with even numbers (eg. BB8)...by numbers I mean the series number, not the number of housemates by the way.

The other thing I for some reason do when thinking about the Big Brother series', is split them in 2 halves - BB1, 2, 3 and 4...then BB5, 6, 7 and 8.

This may have something to do with the way Big Brother re-invented itself for the 5th series and hasn't really been able to break that mould since and the first 4 series had the chickens and stuff.

I also break them into two lots of 4 because the BB3 eye is similar to the BB7 eye and the BB4 eye is similar to the BB8 eye and they are both the last out of the 4 in their section. Why am I talking about this you ask?

Well what will become of BB9, where will this series fit? Will a new era start? Will it follow the traditional ratings yo-yo?

Anyway I've kind of forgotten why I started to write about all this, so whilst I try and remember, does anyone have any thoughts on the patterns I've mentioned or any other patterns you have discovered in the past?

Thanks for reading :thumbs:

Redmond
06-02-2008, 01:24 PM
Numbers have nothing to do with it really. It's just whether the housemates are good and the production is good.

There are patterns though I agree, but I think they mean very little in the grand scheme of things.

One pattern I particularly am intrigued by is the 'Curse of Week 8', where a big character, possibly the biggest character of the series is evicted. BB5 - Victor, BB6 - Science, BB7 - Nikki, BB8 - Charley.

Jack
06-02-2008, 01:58 PM
I don't think you should read into patterns and such so much. Like Redmond said, it's down to the housemates and production. However I do think that after a successful series, the producers become laxy and complacent (especially true in BB8). This may explain the dip in ratings after a successful series (although I thought BB6 was great and was very underated in the ratings).

ryanaldinho10
06-02-2008, 04:28 PM
Good points, yeah I agree with the fact that the producers try more after a not so successful series and are slightly lazy after a good series. Hopefully this means we're in for a good series this year as the producers have been given a right kick up the ar$e. What I forget to mention was the effect a Celeb BB/BB:CH has on the main BB series. I was certain that after the disaster of CBB5 (criticism-wise, not ratings-wise), the producers would do anything to ensure BB8 would be klass. I thought there would be a real 'feel good' atmosphere after the tension in CBB5, however if anything BB8 was even more intense with Charley and Chanelle and co.

Now there have been two series where ratings havn't perhaps been as good as BB usually gets (BB8 and BB:CH), Endemol will try anything to bring BB back to its glory days.

ryanaldinho10
06-02-2008, 04:30 PM
Oh yeah also......good thinking with the whole Week 8 thing. :thumbs:

Tom
06-02-2008, 08:30 PM
There are some patterns, one with every 4 series.

BB1 & BB5- Both original, trying something new, both a success
BB2 & BB6- Both expanding on the ideas from the previous year and being a moderate success
BB3 & BB7- Both regarded as two of the better series along with BB5. Both try something new and are very successful. Both are also examples of the 'institutional' Big Brother
BB4 & BB8- Both flops

Now if the 4 year gap thing continues, then BB9 will join onto that of BB1 and BB5 and if rumours are to believe, that is about right. Odd series tend to do better than even series.

Billy
06-02-2008, 08:53 PM
BB4 was more succesfull than BB6. Is BB6 not the least popular one after BB8?

Tom
06-02-2008, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Billy21

In terms of ratings, yes. But its some peoples favourite series and its one of the series which has made the most impact with the media.

ryanaldinho10
07-02-2008, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Tom_
Originally posted by Billy21

In terms of ratings, yes. But its some peoples favourite series and its one of the series which has made the most impact with the media.

Yeah BB6 is always my favourite series to watch back (the geek that I am :wink:), also the main reason BB4 had quite high viewing figures in comparison to its popularity, was the fact that people were desperate for that series after the success of BB3. Hence the opening night of BB4 had the highest viewing figures out of all 8 series didn't it? (I think BB7 might have matched it, cant remember)

Scarlett.
07-02-2008, 01:27 PM
I didnt belive this Theory last year but now I do.

BB6 has a really nice feeling to it, I dont know why lol

Barbie
11-02-2008, 03:44 PM
i see the theories and you can make a good guess that bb9 will be better with those theories but you cant go on that completely.
it should follow suit because everything is indicating a big turnaround for BB9 and so should be a sucess like BB5
just watch this space i guess

Spike
11-02-2008, 04:41 PM
I don't understand why BB6 had bad ratings and was seen as a bad series, I loved it.

Like other people have said, it all depends on the housemates and production

Jake!
11-02-2008, 04:44 PM
BB9 will be good, I can just feel it. I've that rush of excitment back again that BB3 gave me. Its about time too.