PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Helenisms!

Mark
03-12-2001, 10:27 PM
Post your favourote Helenisms here by replying to this messege!

Mark :spin:

[Edited on 12-3-2001 by Mark]

disco
03-12-2001, 11:30 PM
What is believed to be the most comprehensive list of 'Helenisms' can be found here (http://www.eyeonreality.tv/features/helenisms.php). My favourites would have to be the following:

Dean (when asked what scared him most): "Insanity"
Helen: "Insanity? What does insanity mean? I'll never remember that"

Stuart: "What's Deans greatest fear?"
Bubble: "Going insane"
Helen: "No it isn't, its insanity he's scared of"

Mark
04-12-2001, 08:21 AM
Helen I like being pink I do!!!!!!

Helen I like blinking I do!!!!!

:elephant::elephant::elephant:

Feefs
04-12-2001, 02:44 PM
I'm not sure if this is legit, because I've never seen it discussed by anyone here, but it was in an email I was sent.

I like to think it's true!

Scene: Helen and Paul playing with the travel chess in the den.

Helen: If these bits are magnetic, will they stick to our faces?
Paul: Only if you're the Terminator.

:laugh:

WILDCHILD2K1
04-12-2001, 08:47 PM
Here are some of my faves:

'How come there are less people in here than we started with?' She did actually say that, bless her!

The famous, 'I like blinking I do'

'How come you lot have all got 8 GCSES'S and I have only got 2?'

Mark
04-12-2001, 09:09 PM
When they were playing the alphabet game I will always remember this : -

When she was asked animals beginning with the following letters she said -

J - Jimmy, Isn't that a baby kangaroo?
O - Origami
S - Sophisticated
N - Nasty Bear

another is when she was talking to Brian she said

"Have you ever been on a plance thats crashed?"

WILDCHILD2K1
05-12-2001, 03:57 PM
I never knew she said that about the plane crash to Brian - funny stuff!!:laugh:

Romantic Old Bird
06-12-2001, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Feefs
I'm not sure if this is legit, I like to think it's true!

Scene: Helen and Paul playing with the travel chess in the den.

Helen: If these bits are magnetic, will they stick to our faces?
Paul: Only if you're the Terminator.

:laugh:

It is true! it was said on the last night in the den, post first fumble and before they were all called into the boys bedroom.

As usual, Paul answered absolutely without irony. Completely on the same wavelength.

Just like when he told her his dad fried chips in a bucket over a bunsen burner - didn't even hesitate or wait for the inevitable question, just said, 'gas flame jet thing' and carried on. Sweet innit?:spin:

LEE
06-12-2001, 10:40 PM
Just like when he told her his dad fried chips in a bucket over a bunsen burner - didn't even hesitate or wait for the inevitable question, just said, 'gas flame jet thing' and carried on. Sweet innit?:spin:

I don't remember this at all, but it is so funny. Don't you just lov'em? :bouncy:

Kaz
07-12-2001, 08:53 AM
"I don't get that - you don't spell magic with a 'j', you spell magic with a 'm'" :laugh:

I agree with you, H!! http://www.plauder-smilies.com/happy/xyxthumbs.gif

LEE
07-12-2001, 01:07 PM
What about:-

'There's no cameras on us while I'm cutting your hair, Paul!'

said while looking directly into a mirror.:spin2:

Fruity
07-12-2001, 06:34 PM
I liked:

"I dreamed last night when I was asleep..."

"Is the jelly cooked yet?"

"Yeah, you know Jack Daniels... he does all the magic stuff on the telly"

Brian: "What if she's (Helen) got an IQ of 25?"
Helen: "Actually, I'm only 23"

"How much chicken is in chickpeas?"

:spin2:

Janette
13-12-2001, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Kaz
"I don't get that - you don't spell magic with a 'j', you spell magic with a 'm'" :laugh:

I'd forgotten that one, very funny!!:lol:

Mark
19-12-2001, 11:25 PM
Found a load more

"God! There are 9 of us in here! It does not seem to be as many as at the start!"

"There's less people in the house than we started with"

When Dean was playing "The Look of Love" with Amma singing along: "Is that one of your songs, Dean?"

"What is a Liberal Democrat?"

Big Brother: "This is big brother, a meteorite has landed in the garden. You have 2 minutes to get dressed"
Helen: "Dressed? What, as in clothes?"

When Bubble was balancing 3 juggling balls on Brian's head as he was reading a book on the sofa: "that's fantastic that is. Does he know?"

"Those infrared cameras can see under your duvet covers"

Josh: "I've had 4 wet dreams... I wake up in the morning covered."
Helen: "Covered in what?"

"I've never been stalked. It doesn't happen in Wales"

(When told about the sweetcorn kernal eating world record task) "What are kernels?"

Bless!!!!!!
:elephant::elephant::elephant::elephant::elephant:

Mark:noel:

Mark
20-12-2001, 09:09 AM
I think we have all the Helenisms......

Does anyone know of any others:conf::conf::conf::conf:

Mark

disco
20-12-2001, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Mark
Found a load more

Those are fantastic! Where did you find them?

WILDCHILD2K1
20-12-2001, 08:55 PM
This just sums up why I liked Helen so much; she wuz just soooo funny...and that is not in a patronising way!:dazzler::spin2:

Mark
20-12-2001, 09:01 PM
I was rumaging through My Documents to check for Microsoft Word files and found one called Helensims....
Must have got it when BB2 was on...

Mark :devil:

disco
20-12-2001, 09:05 PM
Oh right. They seem familiar - i'm sure i've read them somewhere before!

Mark
20-12-2001, 09:08 PM
eh? :conf::conf::conf:

Im sure loads of sites have them on the forums....

Mark

disco
20-12-2001, 09:15 PM
Yeah, probably. Just that as a list it looks familiar, that's all.

disco
20-12-2001, 09:59 PM
I'm sure i've seen those before... it's going to bug me till I remember where now... Doh!

disco
23-12-2001, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Disco
What is believed to be the most comprehensive list of 'Helenisms' can be found here (http://www.eyeonreality.tv/features/helenisms.php)

Ah! That's where I saw them. Good page that, actually. Probably the best list of Helenisms on the net - i'm sure those who compiled it put in a lot of work.

Mark
23-12-2001, 04:42 PM
I believe I owe an apology.......

Sorry Helen for not asking you if I could use your quotes.

I will try to next time.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Happy Christmas Disco!

Mark

WILDCHILD2K1
23-12-2001, 04:51 PM
What is believed to be the most comprehensive list of 'Helenisms' can be found here (http://www.eyeonreality.tv/features/helenisms.php)

Ah! That's where I saw them. Good page that, actually. Probably the best list of Helenisms on the net - i'm sure those who compiled it put in a lot of work.

How sarcastic can you get?! Its not like they are your Helenisims, yeah you might have found them but the quotes are all over the net.

Janette
23-12-2001, 07:21 PM
Ok people calm down. We all love Helen and Paul and we all have been looking round for quotes, we're bound to be looking in some of the same places. It doesn't matter where we find them, the whole point of this board is to share our feelings and thoughts, not to be exclusive to one board or one site.
And it's christmas so lets all be nice to each other :xmas2:

disco
23-12-2001, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by WILDCHILD2K1How sarcastic can you get?! Its not like they are your Helenisims, yeah you might have found them but the quotes are all over the net.

Originally posted by MarkI believe I owe an apology.......

I will try to next time.

Wildchild: How sarcastic can I get? A LOT more, believe me.

Of course the quotes aren't mine, and of course I don't have an exclusive right to use them.

But Mark blatently copied and pasted from http://eyeonreality.tv/features/helenisms.php

At the very least it is unpolite not to credit the source. A lot of work went into compiling the list - not just by me, but by friends and those who have posted in another forum.

At the other extreme it is plagerism. Before you all shout "Ah, but it was Helen that said them", it is not so much Mark using the quotes themselves, but the fact he mearly copied and pasted without any attempt to credit. Not only did he copy the quotes, but the explanations which went with them - take the Helenism concerning Bubble's attempt at the record, for example. He directly published MY explanation.

I do not mind that Mark made the post he did as such. In fact, it is flattering that others think the work I have done is worth reproducing. And it would be churlish to refuse to share such snippets with the rest of the BB community.

But Mark should take heed of the phrase 'credit where credit's due". Perhaps he is not too familier with the importance of this concept yet - those who have studied in higher education will appreciate what I am trying to say - but it is VITAL that other peoples work is accordingly credited.

I know this is not the first time that people have had to mention this to Mark. Just to clarify what is considered acceptable: If there is just a snippet of text is used, like above, then some basic acknowledgement (e.g. I found these at http://eyeonreality.tv) is usually sufficient. If more substantial, such as an entire passage of text or some form of graphics, then permission should be obtained.

The beauty of the online BB community is that each site is unique and takes things from a slightly different angle. For a site to just take the best aspects of others and centralise the work of others will lead to a dull experience.

Let's keep it diverse. Make your own features - take inspiration from others by all means, but give it a unique twist rather than trying to amalgermate the entire BB community onto one site. And give credit where it's due!

LEE
23-12-2001, 09:26 PM
Disco, when you first posted a comment about the Helenisms, I asked Mark about it, asked him where he had got them from.

He said that he didn't remember, that he'd copied them off a site months ago cos he'd thought they were really funny, and forgotten about them. After starting the section on favourite quotes and Helenisms he found them on his computer and added them to the already existing thread.

I think it's been a misunderstanding, Mark probably shouldn't have just copied them wholesale, but I really don't think he remembered where they were from. I know that way before starting bbfans/eyeonreality.tv you had (and still have) your davidprince.com site. I remember reading your section on Helen there ages and ages ago and I'm sure this is where Mark must have got them from.

May I apologise on Mark's behalf. There is enough room out there for several BB sites and I for one do not see why any of us needs to compete. The majority of posters know of the existence of all of the sites, quite often posting on several and surely we should all be friends. In fact I thought we were.

Let's lighten up guys and have a very Merry Christmas and look forward to the start of BB3 in the New Year.

:santa::xmas2::frosty::rudolph::xmas::snowman:

disco
23-12-2001, 10:18 PM
Thanks for that, LEE. Like I said, I don't mind Mark posting them, just that a bit of acknowledgment would have been nicer than Mark's attempt to patronise.

Originally posted by Mark
I believe I owe an apology.......

I will try to next time.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Happy Christmas Disco!

Mark

Anyway, hope you all have a fantastic Christmas :xmas:

Feefs
23-12-2001, 10:40 PM
I'm sure it's very easy to forget where you originally got half your stuff from. I know I got about 10 different emails containing long lists of Helenisms both during and after the show. There are also loads of web-sites that have a core 15 or so. So as an idea, I don't think it's realistic for there to become a single source.

Some lists are definitely better than others and those that create them thoughtfully should be praised. Being an obsessive it annoyed me most when some people had obviously taken to exaggerating some of them. In particular "Dove's a bird innit" was often changed to "What is a dove?" :shocked:

At least these ones are reasonably accurate.