PDA

View Full Version : Beware of E-mails from BigSister

Sticks
22-05-2004, 12:51 PM
This afternoon while checking the e-mail account I use here, at the server I found an e-mail from BigSister (or plrgrimshaw@aol.com) which had a virus attached.

I was able to delete this on the server and no harm was done this time. As these viruses raid addressbooks there may be more sent out.

I have sent BigSister an e-mail warning that her machine has been infected, but felt I ought to warn others here about the situation

James
22-05-2004, 01:39 PM
These viruses don't work like that Sticks. They use a fake 'From:' address to hide where they come from - and who's computer is infected.

The virus selects this e-mail address from the address book of the infected computer so this address is not the one of the computer with the virus.

If you look at the e-mail headers you can sometimes tell the service provider of the person who's computer has the virus though.

You can do a free online virus scan at http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Amy
26-07-2004, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by James
These viruses don't work like that Sticks. They use a fake 'From:' address to hide where they come from - and who's computer is infected.

The virus selects this e-mail address from the address book of the infected computer so this address is not the one of the computer with the virus.

If you look at the e-mail headers you can sometimes tell the service provider of the person who's computer has the virus though.

You can do a free online virus scan at http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Yep they sure do take on a fake from address I had one of these today folks so just be careful when opening emails and don't download any attachments unless you know who they are from :thumbs:

Julia L
26-07-2004, 07:09 PM
Recently I've had lots of bizarre looking e-mails from addresses I don't recognise - all with the subject header of "Hi" and usually with an attachment. I delete them all there and then - I guess they're all fake ones with viruses in them.

golden~rose
26-07-2004, 08:13 PM
ive had emails like that in the past and ive even had some hack into my msn!!!

anyways my computers virus protected :hugesmile:

BigSister
26-07-2004, 09:03 PM
I just delete any emails if I dont know who sent them

golden~rose
26-07-2004, 09:13 PM
just dont download any of the attachments either

BigSister
26-07-2004, 09:18 PM
No i dont do that either

golden~rose
26-07-2004, 09:28 PM
thats the type of emails i got from people i didnt know. and i would start to download a attachment they sent me and a message would come up saying that there was a virus so it wouldnt let me download. these poeple were also speaking a different language so that was weird!!

Kore
29-07-2004, 09:15 AM
i dont open ne emails!
only if sum1 says they are sending me one, i will open it ..:hugesmile: