PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Executive Producer Shirley Jones

Mark
28-05-2004, 12:22 PM
From the C4 Big Brother Press:

Executive Producer, SHIRLEY JONES, explains more about what viewers can expect this year.

This year was the first year you did open auditions. How did they go?
The open auditions were fantastic. We started in February, over five weeks in seven cities across the UK. It’s the first year we have done open auditions it’s usually always done by videotape.

With open auditions of any kind, it’s amazing what lengths people go to and the effort they make. There were loads of people dressed as chickens and loads of brides for some reason - they were the most popular. We also had quite a few naked people … I think people thought that if they showed flesh, it would get them in. We auditioned in Newcastle in two feet of snow and the medical team had to wrap the naked people in foil blankets… it was like the naked marathon.

People singing and acting up is entertaining but it’s in no way representative of what we are looking for.

Was it a better process than video applications?
Yes, we purposely set out to try and see a broader range of applicants and we saw a lot of people who would never have applied if they’d had to send in a video. If you make a video, we have no way of knowing how long it’s taken you to make it. It might have taken you a week, it might have taken three months, so you could have a brilliant video but you’re not like that really. You can never underestimate seeing someone in the flesh as well. If you walk into a bar or party, there are certain people that stand out - and it’s exactly the same walking down those queues. I’d say now that the people who really stood out in the queue are also the same people that made it to the shortlist, so that says something. I can remember all our final people from the queue.

Was there a specific criteria or character types you were looking for?
I think if you go out there with a specific wish list, then you are limiting yourself - so we didn’t have those in mind. I’d say we approached the whole casting process with a very open mind. It’s really been gloves off in the casting process this year and we haven’t necessarily chosen people we like.

So exactly how are you getting evil?
The house has been designed to be difficult to live in. There’s only one bedroom and not enough beds, the toilet and shower have glass walls, it’s much smaller and ceilings have been lowered to make it feel claustrophobic. We want the whole experience to be a challenge for the housemates from start to finish. There will be no lie-ins, tasks will involve some really agonising decisions and although we’ve increased the prize money to £100,000, ultimately the winner could walk away with nothing. In addition, we’ve also got some nasty surprises planned. It’s really not going to be a holiday this year and knowing what I know I wouldn’t want to go into the house!

All the way through the interviews and auditions people made it clear that they expect certain things from Big Brother. They expect two bedrooms, they expect chickens, they expect to have a lie-in. But that’s all going to change this year. We’re not running a holiday camp. The housemates aren’t there to get a tan and have a rest!

Why a spa then – that’s not very evil?
It would be a thoroughly miserable experience for both the housemates and viewers if it was ALL doom and gloom. However, I know what’s planned and they’ll definitely need a bit of light relief after some of it.

So how will one bedroom make their lives difficult?
It’s all about adding to the claustrophobic atmosphere and challenging the way they think. They are expecting two bedrooms but they will be living on top of each other in just one. There will be nowhere to hide and they will have to make some tricky decisions from the beginning as although there are enough places to sleep there aren’t enough beds so a few will have to share.

What do the housemates know about the house this year?
They are the only 12 people in the country who don’t know what is about to hit them. They are currently in isolation away from the newspapers, radio, TV. They don’t even know that Big Brother is getting evil.

You mention that the winner could walk away with nothing – how will that work?
This year is also the first time that the housemates can win more prize money – up to £100,000. But they could lose the lot, because every Saturday they have to do a live task just to hold on to that prize fund. If they fail a task, they get penalised in cash, at least £10,000 a week. So essentially, the winner of this year’s Big Brother could come out of the house with nothing.

It’ll be interesting to see people’s motivations once they realise that the money is at stake. It’s amazing how many people say ‘you know what, the money doesn’t bother me’ but the minute that someone starts taking that money away, it’s surprising what a focus that it suddenly becomes. In the group some people will really want that prize money and some people might be a bit more blasé about it. But that in itself is interesting, it can lead to all sorts of issues and they are going to have to address them. There will be some agonising decisions for them to make… some very, very difficult choices over the coming weeks.

Do you make decisions as you go along or plan it all in advance?
You can plan a certain amount, and look at ways of changing and improving things, and adding elements of surprise for viewers and housemates alike. We’ve got a really strong and committed team that works really hard at coming up with all of those fresh new ideas. But, to be honest, most of the material comes from within the house, sparked by the housemates themselves - they’re the ones who really keep it going. We can throw little things at them and make life easier or make life more difficult, but essentially, the content of the show comes from them. Once they are in there, you may just rip up everything you’ve planned because you might not need it.

Some of the most memorable things from previous years have all been unplanned. It’s the character-revealing stuff, the things people reveal as they learn about themselves and about each other in there; that’s the most interesting thing about it really.

The tasks are a key part of the week - is there some particular evilness in store?
We’ve upped the stakes on the tasks. They will involve some agonising decisions and more will ride on the outcome of the tasks and challenges. There will be some fun ones but we’ve got some quite evil things planned for them too.

Have you got any favourite moments from the previous Big Brothers – on screen or behind the scenes?
I love the fights - they are brilliant. I love it when Big Brother throws the housemates a party or they are doing something like face painting and then someone has a fight. There is nothing funnier and more ridiculous than someone with face paint on having a scrap! Then there was Alex behind the door in BB3, which was a highlight for me. Plus Big Brother’s Little Brother, which we started in BB2 with Dermot - he is so lovely to work with.

How do you find the job? It must be very intense for 10 weeks.
Yeah, this will practically be my home now until August but it’s really exciting. Everyone is up here to do their bit and just gets on with the job, which really makes it a great place to be and work. It may sound really clichéd but it’s true.

It is really intense too, but if you are watching these people all the time, it gets very hard to leave. At the end of the day, it’s very hard to go home and walk away from it. You go home and you still want to carry on.

Do you get attached to the housemates given the amount of time you have spent choosing them and then watching them in the house?
It’s strange because they are not your friends, but you know them better than your friends in some ways. You’ve been through this process with them right from the audition, through the interviews and all of the selection and like them or not you can’t help but root for them.

It is weird for the viewers too as for a certain number of weeks they get to know people inside out and then suddenly they’re gone, they’ve been evicted and that’s it.

Kaz
28-05-2004, 01:27 PM
Interesting interview - thanks, Mark. :thumbs:
You mention that the winner could walk away with nothing – how will that work?
This year is also the first time that the housemates can win more prize money – up to £100,000. But they could lose the lot, because every Saturday they have to do a live task just to hold on to that prize fund. If they fail a task, they get penalised in cash, at least £10,000 a week. So essentially, the winner of this year’s Big Brother could come out of the house with nothing.

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

So this IS true! :spin2:

Don't quite know how I feel about this - it seems a bit harsh to penalise the winner for other housemates' mistakes.

Interesting, to say the least!!!! :laugh:

bananarama
28-05-2004, 02:49 PM
I don't think it is fair to risk the £70000. Risk the extra £30000 yes but not the main prize.

Like them or hate them anyone who survives now 10 week in a BB house deserves at least the 70 grand.. :shocked:

P.S. It's also a contradiction as to what Dermot said in the best BB bits show when he refered to the prize money as £70000 as per normal. :conf:

BigSister
28-05-2004, 03:14 PM
Thanks Mark for the interview:thumbs:

Wow the task losing money thing is real. When they find out about that, that could be ingresting viewing

Crazeebandgal
28-05-2004, 03:19 PM
Ooohhhh! Im geddin all excited now! :bouncy:

Amy
28-05-2004, 04:38 PM
I can't wait for the show to start :dance: It'll be Interesting to see how they react when they realise they may not walk away with 70,000

BusyBee
28-05-2004, 05:37 PM
But if they look at it logically that money could be a drop in the ocean to what they will earn when they get out of the house? Any chance Fed is going back in?

kaphc
28-05-2004, 06:33 PM
Yeah, a lot of them make more money by selling stories when they come out anyway.

Besides, it's an incentive for them to put their all into the tasks - lol BusyBee at the thought of Fed screwing up the prize money for all the others!! :hugesmile::hugesmile: