PDA

View Full Version : "Former asylum seeker"

X
29-05-2004, 09:36 AM
Ahmed is in a precarious position, and how he deports himself in the house might have wider-flung ramifications than would appear at first glance.

Like it or not, he is perceived as representing a body of the population which most people think of as being a monolithic block rather than a hugely diverse group : Asylum seekers.

Ahemd, should he last long enough, is in a position to be the first former asylum seeker celebrity the UK has had in recent years : a position of some relevance, given the power of celebrity. How he portrays himself and deports himself is actually quite important, in that sections of the house and watching population will have certain prejudices and expectations which he may or may not fulfill.

Which makes it all the more frustrating is that the producers of the show have set up a powderkeg situation, given that he will have issues with at least three of his other housemates, should he genuinely turn out to be homophobic.

That's not even to touch on his being a muslim in this era of rampant islamphobia....

He may be an irritating, boring housemate as a person - but he may be one of the more significant ones, for all that.

kaphc
29-05-2004, 10:01 AM
I agree - can you imagine what the story will be if he is the first one nominated or evicted, and how this would suggest that this really is an anti-asylum seeker country.

Having said that, he is an EX-asylum seeker who has obviously done well for himself and got into property development

John
29-05-2004, 12:39 PM
Most of these 'ex' asylum seekers usually do very well for themselves indeed! I belive Ahmed is originally from Somalia and isn't the only homophobic one in the house - the black guy is too, is he called Victor? I'm not a racist at all but I do think Britain is very leniant in comparison to other countries when it comes to any kind of immigration rules.

James
29-05-2004, 01:12 PM
He's already talking about feeling isolated in the house. I can't see who he will bond with and it appears that C4 have chosen him as a 'fall guy'.

He reminds me a bit of Hassan in Teen Big Brother in terms of his views.

Romantic Old Bird
29-05-2004, 03:08 PM
I hope he comes over positively. I am very concerned in general that muslims are being demonised, and our national attitude to immigrants hasn't moved on that much since the days of the empire.

The fact is, we are also bleeding emigrants to the US, Europe and Indochina. Not to mention the Antipodes.

Our hospitals certainly wouldn't run withought immigrant doctors, and I can tell you, many of them are looking forward to going home again. Our way of life really isn't superior to many of theirs at home.

I feel sorry for Ahmed, because he has landed in the Rocky Horror Show without the laughs.

p2pnut
28-06-2004, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by John
Most of these 'ex' asylum seekers usually do very well for themselves indeed! I belive Ahmed is originally from Somalia and isn't the only homophobic one in the house - the black guy is too, is he called Victor? I'm not a racist at all but I do think Britain is very leniant in comparison to other countries when it comes to any kind of immigration rules.

Jaysus f'ing Christ ..... how did this get past the moderators?

Iv'e only just come across it, while perusing the 'back numbers', and I can't believe what I see.

Anyone who qualifies their crap with 'I'm not a racist at all but .......... can instantly be defined as a racist. You either are or you aren't - no 'buts'

By the way John - you may 'think' that "Britain is very leniant in comparison to other countries when it comes to any kind of immigration rules". but try telling that to the people who have been turned back to countries where they face near certain torture or even death.

I realise that bigots rarely understand or accept facts, but the following might make illuminating reading for those who think that the UK is a 'soft touch'

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/pdfs2/hosb902.pdf

http://www.refugeecouncil.org.uk/infocentre/faqs/faqs001.htm

http://www.tearfund.org/uploads/documents/Asylum%20Seekers%20-%20jan04(1).pdf