PDA

View Full Version : Rich/Poor Divide!

serensilver
08-05-2008, 07:32 PM
A selection of rumours have already started circulating to whether the rich/poor divide is returning for Big Brother this summer. The twist worked very well during Big Brother 3, so maybe the producers will use the idea again. Do you think the rich/poor divide should return for Big Brother 9? What things would you want to work differently if the twist was used again?

Why not let us know what you think of the rich/poor divide returning again.! Get commenting!

Source - inside Big Brother

Stu
08-05-2008, 07:34 PM
No. No returning long term tasks. End of. A one day box task is something , but why would they want to re use an almost series long gimmick?

Something new is needed.

MrGaryy
08-05-2008, 07:36 PM
It would NEVER return. They already revived it in CBB5. They'd never rehash an old task again.

Loukas
08-05-2008, 07:38 PM
I think it's untrue! What they need are NO TWISTS to begin with!! Just 14-15 people in a house on launch night, no twist. The twists come! later!

Tom
08-05-2008, 07:39 PM
I'd like it to return, however I'd like it to be a psychological divide. What I mean is they should all live together in the same house but those who should live on the 'poor side' should not be allowed to eat certain things, go in the pool. bath at certain times etc.

By doing a physical divide they will look desperate and although they probably are they can't show that.

If it did happen then I wouldn't be against it.

Jay
08-05-2008, 07:42 PM
Although it was a good task i do think they should have new tasks for a new series.

Captain.Remy
08-05-2008, 07:43 PM
If it can bring more competition then I'm not against.
The producers need to be very very very careful in the way they will do it, if it happens again.
And from the house picture, I highly doubt it will be back.

MrGaryy
08-05-2008, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Captain.Remy
If it can bring more competition then I'm not against.
The producers need to be very very very careful in the way they will do it, if it happens again.
And from the house picture, I highly doubt it will be back.

Although now you mention it, did look like there was an outside bathroom and a pool large enough to be split.

Spike
08-05-2008, 07:46 PM
BB9 needs to take a step forward not a step back.

The rich/poor divide was great for BB3 but I want new and original twists for BB9.

BBDodge
08-05-2008, 09:02 PM
It went on a week too long in BB3.

Wouldn't be surprised to see it return as they recreated a bit of it when Alex & Adele guested in BB8.

*mazedsalv**
08-05-2008, 09:04 PM
I have a feeling that Aisleyne will go in the house for a task in BB9, dont know why, its a gut feeling. Would love it.

Brekkie
08-05-2008, 10:45 PM
Yes! You know the season isn't far away when the Rich/Poor rumours begin. We can now declare the rumour mill officially open!

I'd love it to return - it was very successful back in BB3 (some people disagree, but BB3 is still by far the highest rated series) - and we only touched the surface of the idea.

If it returns it needs to come back bigger and more extreme than it was back then - very luxurious one side, extremely basic the other - with flagship showpiece challenges deciding who lives where, not a game of musical chairs.

The series also needs to be largely based around it - from the moment the housemates move in until as near to the end as possible. If it's just a 3-4 week twist they might as well not bother.

Redmond
08-05-2008, 11:07 PM
It's a great task and could definitely work again, it's one thing I wouldn't mind seen being brought back.

Mrluvaluva
09-05-2008, 08:39 AM
Loved it and wouldn't mind if they used the bars again.

JJ.
09-05-2008, 09:20 AM
I'd love it.

I agree with Brekkie too. Have a launch night live task, have the bars dramatically fall on the house and really make one side pure luxury living and the other as basic as it gets. Also, housemates can only have access to their luxury items on the rich side, which may upset/anger some. That way, housemates will fight tooth and nail for it. Here's my series plan:

Week 1 - Live launch, 16 housemates enter into a live task right away. 8 losing housemates go to one bedroom, 8 winning housemates to another. Big Brother quickly transforms the house and the bars fall.

Weeks 2 to 8 - Housemates on the rich side nominate housemates on the poor side for eviction each week. Housemates on the poor side also nominate but can only nominate people on their side and have one vote. In Week 8, the immunity barrier is lifted with 9 housemates left, but the rich/poor divide remains.

Week 10 - Coinciding with the 10th (and double) eviction, the bars rise and the Final Six live in one house together for the final three weeks.

Week 11 - There is no eviction in Week 11 but the housemates still think there will be!

Week 12 - A single eviction on the Friday determines the Final Five. Messages from home this week, emotional penultimate week etc.

Week 13 - The finale week. Final eviction on THURSDAY leaves the Final Four for the Friday finale.

As for tasks, they would be a mixture of creative, endurance-based and teamwork tasks. In some weeks, the entire poor/rich side much work AS A TEAM to collectively get to the other side - maybe have a team leader like on the Apprentice. It's likely someone will ***** up on one team, creating hostilities if they fail. In other weeks it's every man for himself.

As well as having the show task based, there are lots of memorable events too. A special room is opened every so often, a 'venue' for a break from the house, but it's seldom open and as such feels special. In Week 7, the 10 remaining housemates have a Ball, with the men in Tuxedos and women in long flowing dresses. These events would take place on Saturdays usually, as a means of light relief to the competitive week.

From Week 10 onwards when the bars rise, plenty of memorable tasks that get the housemates dressing up, enjoying themselves, acting, singing and dancing. Plus the annual award ceremony in Week 12, with the Final Five reminiscing about time in the house.

The mixture needs to be not only about fierce competition but encouraging personal growth in the housemates - so I'd like to see some introverted people enter and given the chance to shine or an angry, moody person enter given the chance to grow and change. That makes a better series for the housemates (who can justify saying they've been on a journey) and a more momentous one for us.

Overall, the tasks are as key to a series as the housemates and if they get them right they needn't bring in any latecomers at all (which, after all, completely meddles with the 'no contact with the outside world' malarkey!

Brekkie
09-05-2008, 10:51 AM
Pretty much agree with that. It is crucial nominations are linked to the divide, whether it's as you suggested, or whether (as in most European variations) HMs can only nominate people from their own side, with one from each side up for eviction.]

And definately agree with that last comment - the tasks are the bread and butter of the show and can really lift it when all else fails. Poor tasks = poor series.

Kevin
09-05-2008, 11:06 AM
I'd prefer something new than something recycled, so I hope it doesn't return in any shape or form. :wink:

Glenn.
09-05-2008, 01:34 PM
No thank you! They ruined last series by bringing back the HND. Theres only so many times you can get away with one twist. Especially one as big as splitting the house in two again.

Brekkie
09-05-2008, 03:09 PM
This is absolutely nothing like the HND though - not at all.

I've always said one of BB4's biggest mistakes was not developing the divide idea from BB3 and taking it to the next level. If they'd done that (i.e. making it more extreme) it would have been the natural next step for the show - now, a few years on for many it's a step back - rather than a belated development.

Mrluvaluva
09-05-2008, 04:13 PM
Bring back the bedsit!

BigBroMad
09-05-2008, 04:58 PM
I loved the Rich/Poor divide, however i have been there and seen it, not sure if i would like to see it again?

Captain.Remy
09-05-2008, 05:00 PM
I do regret it didn't last long in BB3. I thought they would have taken it to the next level but unfortunately they did not.
So if it comes back, bring it to the next level to make it amazing ! And this time, it will have to be extreme...but still original and creative like the UK version knows how to do.

Meredith
09-05-2008, 09:42 PM
I didn't really like the Rich/Poor divide first time round. I hope they don't repeat it.

BBDodge
09-05-2008, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Mrluvaluva
Bring back the bedsit!

Can't do that due to smoking regulations. It would have to have access to an outdoor area.

MrGaryy
09-05-2008, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by BBDodge
Bring back the bedsit!

Can't do that due to smoking regulations. It would have to have access to an outdoor area.

Not if they didn't smoke!:rolleyes:

BBDodge
09-05-2008, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by thebiggerbrother
Bring back the bedsit!

What, and fiddle it so that only non-smokers went there? Or expect smokers to give up for 5 days?

Don't think Emma could have gone that long. She was mad enough.

MrGaryy
09-05-2008, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by thebiggerbrother
Bring back the bedsit!

What, and fiddle it so that only non-smokers went there? Or expect smokers to give up for 5 days?

Don't think Emma could have gone that long. She was mad enough.

Lots of hms don't smoke. barely any did in BB6/7.