PDA

View Full Version : BB9 to be a game show, NOT a social experiment

Mrluvaluva
16-05-2008, 09:01 AM
From IBB:

"Speculation mounts about BBLB as BB9 exec Phil Edgar-Jones confirms that this year’s series will be tougher than ever before.

With regard to BBLB, take lightly for now. We’ll confirm nearer the time whether it’s airing on Channel 4 or E4 this year.

This year’s gameplaying will undoubtedly shatter the housemates’ hopes of an easy summer.

Speaking recently, Edgar-Jones highlighted that gameplay will be a vital part of the show this year: “We haven’t set this programme up as a massive social experiment- it is a GAME SHOW.”

In brief
BB9’s executive producer says they have set the show up to be a game show, NOT a social experiment.
The production team have tried to get a good, diverse mix of housemates.
BBLB could be back on Channel 4 this year for the first time in years.
This comes just a few days after it was revealed housemates in the upcoming series will have to face a brutal “war and order” theme in the famous house. A spokeswoman earlier said: “Big Brother knows that power corrupts. And this year’s gameplaying will undoubtedly shatter the housemates’ hopes of an easy summer.”

The change in emphasis of the format comes after the poor ratings BB8 obtained last year, averaging a record low of 3.8 million viewers. Edgar-Jones admits that despite the show being on air for nearly a decade, ratings must start to rise to secure the future of the show: ”We want lots of people to watch the show because that’s what we’re judged by, whether we like it or not.”

We try to create a good mix of people, casting a few outlandish housemates and reflecting a regional mix of the whole country.

Big Brother producers have anticipated a change in the show’s format for nearly a year, and resorted to showing the US version of the hit show earlier this year. This was done to accustom British viewers to a gameplay style prominent in the US version, which BBUK producers are looking very closely at. A source revealed that this year’s Big Brother could copy a twist from the US version forcing contestants to appoint a weekly head of house: “The weaker links might be made leaders, while others may see their control vanish. Expect sparks to fly!”

In addition to the show’s format changes, Edgar-Jones revealed that the housemates will always be the most important aspect of the show: “We try to create a good mix of people, casting a few outlandish housemates and reflecting a regional mix of the whole country.” Edgar-Jones who “auditions everybody and ultimately makes the selection of who goes into the house” hinted at who might be going in next month: “Maybe there will be a couple of interesting Irish people in there.”

Meanwhile rumours are flying around about BBLB this year after Applausestore started advertising for tickets with this piece of text: “BBLB is back with two exciting new presenters George Lamb & Zezi Ifore…so it’s now a case of “little brother and little sister” with the duo taking the the reigns of the ultimate BB fan show… oh and they are looking for you, yes YOU to join them LIVE on Channel 4.”

Tom
16-05-2008, 09:23 AM
It hasn't been a social experiment since BB1.

rhombus92
16-05-2008, 09:35 AM
yeah, it has been a social experiment, now it is purely mainstream entertainment, but who cares, if the claims are true, then this series will be great !!!

Mrluvaluva
16-05-2008, 09:38 AM
Just noticed the article has already been posted. Oops.

Arneldo
16-05-2008, 09:47 AM
Since BB2 onwards - it's been a popularity contest. Unless drastic chnages are made, it will never be a game show. However, I think that if BB ever does these drastic chnages - it wont be the BB that most people know and lov and it will turn people off. They cant win either way.

Tom
16-05-2008, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Arneldo
Since BB2 onwards - it's been a popularity contest. Unless drastic chnages are made, it will never be a game show. However, I think that if BB ever does these drastic chnages - it wont be the BB that most people know and lov and it will turn people off. They cant win either way.

Or an unpopularity contest until the final week whichever way you look at it :thumbs:

Mrluvaluva
16-05-2008, 10:18 AM
“Maybe there will be a couple of interesting Irish people in there.”

That doesn't tell us an awful lot does it?

bigbrotherbest99
16-05-2008, 10:23 AM
I like the sound of this, they are freshing up the format

and remeber with bb5 people were not wanting it but once it was over it became the second most watched series ever

Arneldo
16-05-2008, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Mrluvaluva

I think probably be Nicky Byrne's (from Westlife) brother, who auditioned this year. Having the relative of a celebrity in the house would be interesting, for them - for us, not so much.

Mrluvaluva
16-05-2008, 10:34 AM

I think probably be Nicky Byrne's (from Westlife) brother, who auditioned this year. Having the relative of a celebrity in the house would be interesting, for them - for us, not so much.

Oh yeah. I forgot about him.

Tom
16-05-2008, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Mrluvaluva

We've already had someone who qualifies for Celebrity Big Brother in the house and a relative of a celebrity.

Barbie
16-05-2008, 11:07 AM
we had that with charley last year and all she did was name drop all the time
rubbish they think they deserve fame too and wil get far because they are related to a celebrity
lets just keep to people that arent related to a celeb!

RichardBB4
16-05-2008, 03:23 PM
This excites me :d

Stu
16-05-2008, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by rhombus92
yeah, it has been a social experiment, now it is purely mainstream entertainment, but who cares, if the claims are true, then this series will be great !!!
It was always a mainstream event. The first series got away with being dubebd a social experiment , but that was about it.

*mazedsalv**
16-05-2008, 04:04 PM
But people arent evicted by the public in game shows though.

Stu
16-05-2008, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by *mazedsalv**
But people arent evicted by the public in game shows though.
Says who? Of course they can. You cant define a gameshow like that.

Mrluvaluva
16-05-2008, 04:20 PM
BB is a game. People don't always behave as they would normally in there as they have agendas to try and win it.

GiRTh
16-05-2008, 04:47 PM
Thats why its so fascinating. I think every year they should have at least one game player who makes no secret of the fact.

I dont think BB has been a social experiment since BB4. The producers seemed to realise that they must spice up the action in the house and since then it been car crash TV.

16-05-2008, 05:39 PM
gtttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

BarnetFC
16-05-2008, 06:11 PM
eVeRyThInG about this new series sounds gReAt and im sooooo excited

andybigbro
16-05-2008, 06:25 PM
I really hope they do not take the American Format