PDA

View Full Version : President Regan has died

Sticks
05-06-2004, 10:13 PM
Former US President Ronald Reagan has died, aged 93, after a long struggle with Alzheimer's disease.
He died at home in Los Angeles, where his family were with him.

Mr Reagan - who was president from 1981 to 1989 - had not been seen in public for several years, and spent his last years being tended by his wife Nancy.

See this link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3779583.stm)

Julia L
05-06-2004, 11:16 PM
I was sad to hear that in the news, he was one of my favourite presidents :bawling:

AndyJK
06-06-2004, 01:21 AM
It was probably a blessing as he had been suffering from Alzheimer's disease for many years.

Probably Reagan's greatest achievement was bringing an end to the Cold War, that eventually brought down Communism in the former Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, and put to rest once and fall the threat of a nuclear war between the two super powers. He seems to be regarded highly by those who worked with him, even adversaries who came to respect and admire him.

Didn't he also offer us help during the Falkands war? I remember reading somewhere he offered to sell us ships and planes, but we couldn't use them as it would have required training that would haven taken too long.

Personally I liked and respected him for being a good man who changed the world for the better.

RIP Ronnie.

Amy
06-06-2004, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by Julia L
I was sad to hear that in the news, he was one of my favourite presidents :bawling:

Mine too Julia, such sad news :bawling:

BusyBee
06-06-2004, 11:09 AM
Ronald Regan was a president who put the American people first and actually seemed to listen to others.

After 10 years of this illness this is probably a blessed release for him and his family. This illness takes the sufferer away from their family in the worst way possible.

Di2001
06-06-2004, 08:30 PM
This was sad news.

RIP.