PDA

View Full Version : Back to the true meaning...

Fom
12-09-2008, 06:36 AM
I dont know if anyone has read '1984' by George Orwell, but its the book BB is based on. I am currently doing a lot of work on this novel and thought... maybe BB should read the book again and understand its true meaning and follow it.

I would love it if big brother actually took on the character of "Big brother" Everyone has to wake up at the same time, people can only cook at a certain time, people cannot use certain words (As for example in the book "I love you" is banned from the vocabulary, and you cant say "very good" you have to say "Good plus one") everything about the person is decided by big brother.

Some of you might find that boring, but it would be so interesting! I would love to see how people would react! And it would go back to the days of BB1 when the whole thing was an experiment to see how people would react!
So really... I would love to see a BB1 but on steroids.
What do you think?

:dance:

(Oh to add to that, There is a "Room 101" in the book which if someone breaks the rules of big brother then the person is locked in room 101 with their worst fear, for example with one of the lead characters its rats and his head is put into a cage full of hungry rats... obviously not that torturous haha)

melanie
12-09-2008, 07:03 AM
I agree with you in some parts but BB is all about entertainment now. It's what attracts viewers. I mean people complain about "boring" Rachel winning, it just seems too monotone. It would be fun to do it for one week and surprise the HMs. Room 101 and the banning certain words seem interesting though.

pinkmichk
12-09-2008, 10:26 AM
i actually think that would be ace they need to pull something pretty special out the bag for the 10 years cos recent years its gone so far from bb1 (not that recent have been bad) but they have lost a lot of what its about

SiaSiaSia
12-09-2008, 04:40 PM
I LOVE that book
it's very clever
but very scary in a way

Fom
12-09-2008, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by SiaSiaSia
I LOVE that book
it's very clever
but very scary in a way

Exactly, its about time BB got really really clever but scary. How cool would it be to have a horror bb? Torturing the housemates in a way if they step out of line, really making the housemates want to quit! Then only the strongest can survive.

Say we shove loads in, and then freak them out so much we dont even need to evict them! Obviously we evict if someone hasnt left, but only the strongest housemate wins, much like the book in its self! Winston never gives in to BB... he fights and fights!

Spike
12-09-2008, 08:36 PM
I am reading this book at the moment and was discussing this topic with my English Lit class today
We all agreed that Big Brother really needs to base a series on this book, I think a series like that would really make a brilliant series

Tom
13-09-2008, 01:16 AM
I don't think they should ... BB is a different show to what it was. They would alienate half of their viewers by doing that.

I wouldn't be against a More4 series though following that format (lets face it it won't exactly be E4 material)

Conor
13-09-2008, 01:20 AM
I like the sound of the idea, with banning word and all that and the way everything is to a set routine but I don't think I'd watch imo.

Oh and I'm not sure, but I think room 101 was already used in BB6 &CBB4??

Fom
13-09-2008, 09:21 PM
Oh and another thing... in the world of Big Brother, in Oceania. If you break a rule or go against the wishes of big brother you just disappear, no warning the person disappears, all memory of the person is wiped and all their details removed from all databases. If BB is running out of ideas I dont see why they dont just read the bloody book they took the idea from.

They dont have to follow every little bit of the book, but it would make room for some fantastic twists and great entertainment. I would love watching it, if housemates were scared of going to the diary room because they dont know if they have done something wrong.

VicKyyKciV
13-09-2008, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Fom
I dont know if anyone has read '1984' by George Orwell, but its the book BB is based on. I am currently doing a lot of work on this novel and thought... maybe BB should read the book again and understand its true meaning and follow it.

I would love it if big brother actually took on the character of "Big brother" Everyone has to wake up at the same time, people can only cook at a certain time, people cannot use certain words (As for example in the book "I love you" is banned from the vocabulary, and you cant say "very good" you have to say "Good plus one") everything about the person is decided by big brother.

Some of you might find that boring, but it would be so interesting! I would love to see how people would react! And it would go back to the days of BB1 when the whole thing was an experiment to see how people would react!
What do you think?

(Oh to add to that, There is a "Room 101" in the book which if someone breaks the rules of big brother then the person is locked in room 101 with their worst fear, for example with one of the lead characters its rats and his head is put into a cage full of hungry rats... obviously not that torturous haha)

I heard there is a film called 1984 too, i imagine thats based on the book?

Fom
13-09-2008, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by VicKyyKciV
Originally posted by Fom

What do you think?

I heard there is a film called 1984 too, i imagine thats based on the book?

It is indeed :)
Follows the same story and the same idea. Not seen it personally but heard it misses a lot from the novel.

pinkmichk
13-09-2008, 09:30 PM
i havent actually read the book but the more you post fom the more i think this will be a good idea (oh and i going to the library monday to see if i can get it out)

krayZ
29-05-2009, 04:24 PM
I just want to bring this topic back to the top of the forum list.:thumbs:

Beastie
29-05-2009, 04:29 PM
yeah it sounds a good idea! i have not read the book! i think they should guinea pig test it first!!

and the housemates should have a harsher punishment when breaking rules!! that room 101 thing sounds good!!

big brother should not be like a bed of roses or a walk in the park.. lol

LaLaLand
29-05-2009, 04:39 PM
It would be a brilliant move I think, plsu it could bring in alot more 'student' viewers who are perhaps studying areas inspired by/in correlation with the original text...

BB - the educational program.

Fom
29-05-2009, 04:42 PM
Thanks for bumping my topic :D
Just raised this point in another thread, it would be very very educational as it is looked at in A Level.

krayZ
29-05-2009, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Fom
Thanks for bumping my topic :D
No probs :thumbs:

Jaaaack.
29-05-2009, 04:45 PM
Using aspects of the book would make the series very interesting and pull in a wider audience I guess.
I like the Room 101 idea.

Fom
29-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Another good idea would be to use the morning exercise they do in 1984.
Every citizen of Oceania must wake up at the same time and follow an exercise video on the screen in their bedroom, if they slacked they would be singled out (By their citizen number not name). It would be great to see some of the unfit housemates struggle.

Patrick
29-05-2009, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Fom
I LOVE that book
it's very clever
but very scary in a way

Exactly, its about time BB got really really clever but scary. How cool would it be to have a horror bb? Torturing the housemates in a way if they step out of line, really making the housemates want to quit! Then only the strongest can survive.

So basically make it like Fear Factor or Im A Celebrity?
The whole head in a bucket full of rats thing...

krayZ
29-05-2009, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by pmccaff2009
Originally posted by Fom
I LOVE that book
it's very clever
but very scary in a way

So basically make it like Fear Factor or Im A Celebrity?
The whole head in a bucket full of rats thing...
lol