PDA

View Full Version : What is nothing

78B319GH74
16-09-2008, 08:16 PM
This is a philisophical question...
Something that is nothing doesn't exist, but if it doesn't exist then why do we have a name for it...

Is nothing just something that isn't important for someone else.. for example.. someone dropped there glass of water and say **** and someone else hears it and asks what is it... and you say nothing... well here there definately is something... the glass of water fallen on the floor.... but why does she say nothing..

Is it just a word or do we really mean something but say nothing instead.... I love to hear what you think about this subject .... maybe we can have a nice philisophical discussion.

Fom
16-09-2008, 08:26 PM
There is a word for it so we can explain it... we cant just go... there is...

78B319GH74
16-09-2008, 08:48 PM
Records show that the ancient Greeks seemed unsure about the status of zero as a number... They asked themselves, "How can nothing be something?", leading to philosophical and, by the Medieval period, religious arguments about the nature and existence of zero... and the vacuum.

history of zero

From what I understand, zero is only a placeholder... "Zero" itself is only a representation for the absence of something, which of course cannot be otherwise spoken of. What "zero" does for numbers, "nothing" does for language...
But even as the concept of nothing seems simple enough.. actually seeing or encountering "nothing" is a very very difficult task.

Some may say that it's not difficult at all.... It's impossible. I suppose if you are talking about meditation then one goal is to experience and absence of thought, which some would call "nothing," but overall this whole thing is stupid... I mean does "nothing" really need anything more than to be left alone?

Fom
16-09-2008, 08:55 PM
I think this whole debate is nonsense if im honest haha. Its making something out of nothing (no pun intended)

78B319GH74
16-09-2008, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Fom
I think this whole debate is nonsense if Im honest haha. Its making something out of nothing (no pun intended)

A good pun Fom, no need to apologise or dismiss it as anything less than middle-range humour...I still think that the debate over something which apparently does not exist was worth exploring...

hannah.
16-09-2008, 09:15 PM
YOUR MUM'S NOTHING

...:nono:

Magic
16-09-2008, 09:38 PM

Llamajohn
16-09-2008, 09:40 PM
ooo this is too heavy for me :D

nothing is...well if its nothing, then its something...its nothing...so its not nothing really.

arghhhhhh

Ross
16-09-2008, 09:41 PM
Nuffink

78B319GH74
16-09-2008, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Ross
Nuffink

are you my sisters new boyfriend..