PDA

View Full Version : CAVALIERI To Make Reds Debut

Locke.
22-09-2008, 08:11 PM
Diego Cavalieri will make his competitive debut for Liverpool during Tuesday night's Carling Cup clash with Crewe Alexandra at Anfield.
Click here to watch our exclusive chat with Rafa>>

The Brazilian will replace Pepe Reina between the posts, with the Spaniard given the night off after playing every minute of every game so far this season.

"Normally, Diego will play in the Carling Cup," Benitez told Liverpoolfc.tv. "He is a fantastic professional who is learning all the time about English football.

"It's a different style to what he was used to in Brazil but I think he showed in pre-season that he can do everything well. He's a good goalkeeper and can challenge Pepe Reina."

Cavalieri's inclusion is likely to be one of many changes Benitez makes to his side for the visit of Crewe as the Reds look to take a first step on the road to Wembley.

"It's an important competition for us but it's also one which gives us the chance to use some different players," added the manager.

"We have to be careful though. We want to win the game and go on to win the tournament so while we can use some of our youngsters, we need to make sure we get the team right for winning.

"It's a good opportunity for the youngsters who are selected. We have four or five of them training with the first team every day so they know how we work, but to be involved for a match gives them a chance to show us what they can do. They played well in pre-season and also in some games last year, so we know they have the quality to have a future here."

Crewe will arrive at Anfield on the back of a 4-3 defeat at home to Southend at the weekend - but Benitez isn't expecting the League One outfit to sit back and defend.

"I think they will probably attack more than Stoke did on Saturday," he said. "I think they will play direct to their strikers, look to win second balls and also have some success from set-pieces. They will be well organised and will look to break on the counter attack.

"We know it won't be an easy game. In England games against clubs from a lower league are always tough. Hopefully we can play well and score the first goal because then things will be easier for us."

Benitez has no fresh injury worries ahead of the game, with only Fabio Aurelio ruled out as he continues to recover from a calf problem.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N161406080922-1435.htm

Novo
22-09-2008, 08:12 PM
i sense another barnsley game

Dan_
22-09-2008, 09:21 PM
Hopefully he does better than in pre-season, he looked a real butterfingers.Look out for Daniel Pacheco and Geraldo Bruna tomorrow,if given the chance they could shine.