PDA

View Full Version : sorry no vacancies...Hand your CV in......

001steven
12-10-2008, 11:52 AM
i hate it when shops say those two things. it so annoying i have handed my cv in over 100s of shops since i left school two years ago and not 1 has got back to me. even when i fill in the application form and hand it bakc to the shop i hear nothing not even a letter saying soory we cant give you a job ect. aqnd it even more annoying when tescos say they have no vacanciee BUT then you see only 6 people at a 20 till checkouts.

Sam!
12-10-2008, 11:57 AM
When im 16 im gonna hand in my CV which I will write soon to Topshop cause we went in yesterday asking if you need an application form and you don't and the girl said she could imangine me working there. yey haha.

xDramatick
12-10-2008, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Scampi
When Im 16 Im going to hand in my CV which I will write soon to Topshop cause we went in yesterday asking if you need an application form and you don't and the girl said she could imangine me working there. yey haha.

Lucky you.
I went in when I turned 16 and was told I was too young and had to come back next year =|

Jobs are hard to get, everywhere I've applied turned me down [even Tesco, where my father has quite an important job] and my CV is pretty good.

I'm gonna apply AGAIN at Starbucks, and when I'm 17, Topman, H&M, River Island and HMV.

Xander
12-10-2008, 12:03 PM
I'm about to hand in My CV, I think My CV's actually pretty good, although It doesn't mean much.

Annie
12-10-2008, 12:05 PM
If you have been knocked back with your CV so many times and application forms for 2 years - it either means your CV is not good enough and you need to sell yourself more and make you sound better and the same with your application forms OR you are just looking in the wrong places all the time.

Try signing up to a job agency and they can find you work for you

Sam!
12-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Darenn
When Im 16 Im going to hand in my CV which I will write soon to Topshop cause we went in yesterday asking if you need an application form and you don't and the girl said she could imangine me working there. yey haha.

Lucky you.
I went in when I turned 16 and was told I was too young and had to come back next year =|

Jobs are hard to get, everywhere I've applied turned me down [even Tesco, where my father has quite an important job].

I'm going to apply AGAIN at Starbucks, and when I'm 17, Topman, H&M, River Island and HMV.

Id love to work in Topman but we aint got one Kettering or A&F but theres only one in London :(

I need to write a CV but I aint got my GCSE results, might do my predictions. Im sure my predictions will be better anyway, A*s, As and Bs.

Spike
12-10-2008, 12:09 PM
Its so hard to find a job, I have handed in applications for the Christmas rush for a few shops but they haven't got back to me and I am fussy so i'm not going to work in any old place
My mom has told me there is a job for me any time at Tesco because she is friends with one of the top managers but I don't want to work there

xDramatick
12-10-2008, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Spike
My mom has told me there is a job for me any time at Tesco because she is friends with one of the top managers but I don't want to work there

My dad said the same thing and I was still refused.

supernoodles!
12-10-2008, 12:12 PM
i agree its so difficult but if your under 16 i wouldn`t even bother,i remember trying to find a job when i was 14 and 15 and it was just a joke.Its bad enough trying to find a job when your 16+,it gets a tad easier when your 18 becuase you can serve alcohol,your more likely to eb able to drive etc but it still is very tough.I too am sick of hearing that line

MrGaryy
12-10-2008, 12:14 PM
I'm lucky I got a job at my dad's office, it's great I can work whatever hours I like and get £20 an hour which isn't bad! :colour:

supernoodles!
12-10-2008, 12:14 PM
you get 20 quid an hour

MrGaryy
12-10-2008, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by supernoodles!
you get 20 quid an hour

I know it's crazy, but I only work like 3 days a week.

Jake!
12-10-2008, 05:16 PM
I'm 14 and have had a job at my local Next for about 8 months. Obviously not full time. I don't really understand why this happens to other people. try around Christmas, its the tiem to get a job.

Princess
12-10-2008, 05:33 PM
Its impossible to get a job anywhere,I ain't looking because I have a 9-5 week with uni as it is but all my friends have found it difficult to get a job.

Sam!
12-10-2008, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by JustJake
I'm 14 and have had a job at my local Next for about 8 months. Obviously not full time. I don't really understand why this happens to other people. try around Christmas, its the tiem to get a job.

Since when could you get a job at 14 lol.

Jen
12-10-2008, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by JustJake

Since when could you get a job at 14 lol.

Was about to ask that... LOL

:P

supernoodles!
12-10-2008, 05:36 PM
wouldn`t have thought next was they type of place that would allow under 16s

SiaSiaSia
12-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Lol, just persevere :D
I redid my CV loads.. and in the end the job I got I didn't even need a CV or references :D

Emzy-!!
12-10-2008, 09:43 PM
LOL, I hate when there is only 6 people and 20 tills, and then everyone has to line up.

Hire some people TESCOS and ASDA!!!!!! :mad::mad:

pinkmichk
12-10-2008, 10:51 PM
def reword your cv to really sell yourself and agree with annie on the agency places they are normally pretty quick to find something and on the most part the money is better through them anyway
when i got my nursery nurse job i wrote to and followed up with phonecalls to all the local nurseries i started as a bank staff member in a place that wasnt even advertising at that time and worked my way up through on site training etc to eventually be 2nd in command of the toddler room

001steven
12-10-2008, 10:59 PM
my CV is good my teacher at college helped me improve it my gcses are good 4 Bs,2C'sand 2 A's... i have tried a pub today as im 18 now and can serve alcohol. hopefully i get it

Sticks
13-10-2008, 05:07 AM
Also learn to spell

It is amazing the number of spelling errors on CVs you find.

Avoid text message speech

Never send them in a brown envelope, brown envelopes will be binned unopened because they are cheap, and if you are not prepared to pay for a white more expensive envelope, they are not prepared to even open the envelope

Also the same with postage, if it is not first class, it will be binned unopened.

Since they get loads of CV's coming in, they have to employ some sort of filter

Also, join your local chapter of the Masons, (Sorry ladies, this is a guy thing only), that might help :thumbs: Oops got cynical head on this morning

hannah.
13-10-2008, 06:00 AM
There will be hardly any vacancies in shops at the moment because all of the summer jobs will have rolled over. A lot of shops will be recruiting cristmas staff soon so try again in a while, but maybe try somewhere else. Call centres always need new staff so find one and go down

GhettoSuperstar
13-10-2008, 03:26 PM
Just keep looking and looking, it can just be a matter of luck and evetually it will come for you!

Sticks
13-10-2008, 04:34 PM
I would have thought in the time of the credit crunch, companies would not be recruiting. In fact, are they not shedding jobs to reduce costs?

Tom
13-10-2008, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Sticks
Also learn to spell

It is amazing the number of spelling errors on CVs you find.

Avoid text message speech

Never send them in a brown envelope, brown envelopes will be binned unopened because they are cheap, and if you are not prepared to pay for a white more expensive envelope, they are not prepared to even open the envelope

Also the same with postage, if it is not first class, it will be binned unopened.

Since they get loads of CV's coming in, they have to employ some sort of filter

Also, join your local chapter of the Masons, (Sorry ladies, this is a guy thing only), that might help :thumbs: Oops got cynical head on this morning

I also find that as well as the brown envelopes thing, use an A4 envelope or an envelope where you don't have to fold your CV more than once.