PDA

View Full Version : Your Home Town

Magic
05-11-2008, 06:39 PM
Whats special about your home town?
Whats it like?

Locke.
05-11-2008, 06:42 PM
The only thing good about Liverpool is the football club (the amazing one - Liverpool, not the crap one- Everton); anyway, yeah, I can't think of anything else good.

Oh! And the MTV awards are here tomorrow night!

Magic
05-11-2008, 06:42 PM
We have the biggest 'illuminated' carnival in Europe, which is on Friday! Apparently 1000's come to watch it :shocked:

Hometown of Robert Blake, a famous admiral man.

One of the biggest fairs around.

Its so chavvy and inbred though.

Magic
05-11-2008, 06:43 PM
Oh, also just on the outskirts are the Somerset Levels which is where I live.

pinkmichk
05-11-2008, 06:45 PM
my town is primarily known for its tesco , the bypass and as a after thought cos it was the first coach town apparently
its fairly small and largely populated by oaps and is fairly quiet and trouble free

Jen
I live in saintfield.. a small village in Co.Down Northern Ireland :)
My hometown had the Battle of saintfield :D

"The Battle of Saintfield was a short but bloody clash in County Down, in Northern Ireland. The battle was the first major conflict of the Irish Rebellion of 1798 in Down. The battle took took place on the Saturday of 9 June, 1798."

Nicky.
Ermm.. not much.. its like all historic based and stuff xD

All amthitheatres and museums and the old walls xD

Its a thrill a minute :tongue:

Theres lots of shops too xD

Chester btw :bouncy:

supernoodles!
05-11-2008, 06:47 PM
This man called Timothy Hackworth was born and lived here donkeys years ago,he has a school named after him,pubs,park,etc oh and we also have the biggest train museum in England I think,its kinda boring really lol:bored:Ha and does anyone remember Zoe Birkett of pop idol?her dad has a tanning shop down the road looool.

Princess
05-11-2008, 06:51 PM
I found this on Wiki

The Ormonde cinema in Greystones, which closed in July 2007, featured in the Father Ted episode "The Passion Of St Tibulus" and also in an episode of Custer's Last Standup.

Greystones featured as the backdrop for some scenes in the popular BBC series Ballykissangel.

In the 1980s, many scenes from a series called "Rose of Dublin" were filmed around the harbour area of Greystones.

The town was commonly used in the Irish programme Glenroe.

The movie Taffin, starring Pierce Brosnan, was filmed in Greystones.

Greystones featured in an episode of Dream Team, a Sky One soccer soap series.

Parts of George Gently, a 2007 British detective mini-series by BBC, were filmed around the Harbour. Martin Shaw, starred in the production which is set in sixties-Britain (Northhumberland). The Beach House pub was renamed 'The Mariner's Rest' for the occasion.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greystones

Damien Rice lives here as well and Ronnie Drew lived here.

I love how my town is literally named after a strech of grey stones :laugh:

Jen
05-11-2008, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Princess

Greystones featured as the backdrop for some scenes in the popular BBC series Ballykissangel.

God I love that show... I have been in Ballykissangel... I was in the pub. That was such a weekend! :lovedup:

bronaaaa
05-11-2008, 07:08 PM
There was a bomb in my town a wee while back :conf2:

Matt
05-11-2008, 07:10 PM
Alan Carr thinks we're homophobic and racist :laugh: (http://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=101678)

Loukas
05-11-2008, 07:11 PM
Ermm...?

- Leona Lewis is from here. Family still lives here and her cousin's in year 7 in my school.

- During World War II, much of the area was damaged in the Blitz

- Other Celebs Like, Barbara Windsor and Zoe Lucker were born and raised here.

- Amy Winehouse filmed her video 'Back To Black' in our local cemetery.

Here is some info from Wiki;

Stoke Newington or 'new town in the wood', has been lightly settled for many hundreds of years, close to larger neighbouring Saxon settlements near the River Lea. In the nineteenth century it was discovered that Stoke Newington Common and Abney Park Cemetery had been part of a Neolithic working area for axe-making, some examples of which can be seen in the Museum of London.

Stoke Newington is recorded as part of the Ossulstone hundred in the county of Middlesex in the Domesday Book of 1086. In the 17th century, for administrative purposes the west of Stoke Newington High Street became part of the new Finsbury division and the east part of the Tower division. Both divisions were in 1889 then incorporated into the County of London.

Sorry but :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

Sarah.
05-11-2008, 07:15 PM
lmfao.. nothing.
the odd person in the town selling a big issue.

oh and we have a castle, and a zoo. wooo..

Tom
05-11-2008, 07:17 PM
What makes it special is that the government can't decide what county its in :joker:

Geographically its supposed to be in Greater Manchester but postally its in Lancashire

Oh and its a well off area, a few Corrie people live nearby, Kerry Katona isn't so far away either, about 15 minutes :laugh3:

Red Moon
05-11-2008, 07:21 PM
The village is very old dating back before the Domesday Book was written. It probably owes its origins to the Anglo Saxons, though Bronze, Iron Age and Roman remains have been found within the village.

There have been 3 witches in the village, 2 of which were hanged and the other took poison to avoid the hang man, and there is one ghost, a drying lady.

At one point we had a famous brewery which is now a housing estate. All the old residences are now waiting for the new houses to fall into the victorian underground reservoir that provided water for the brewery on which the they are built.

Captain.Remy
05-11-2008, 07:22 PM
Marseille:
-2nd biggest city of France.
-10 times bigger than Paris intra muros.
-3 islands.
-European Capital of Culture 2013.
-Biggest French soap filmed there.
-Described as most rebellious city ever: neither Napoleon nor Hiltler invaded it.
-340 days of Sun.

Need to say more but it's the best French city waaaaay before Paris ? :tongue:

Tom
05-11-2008, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Captain.Remy
Marseille:
-3 islands.
-Described as most rebellious city ever: neither Napoleon nor Hiltler invaded it.
-340 days of Sun.

Well tbh it can't get much worse than Paris anyway :joker:

MR.K!
05-11-2008, 07:24 PM
Former Capital of Scotland
A twinned city and royal burgh
Twinned with Sarastota, USA
Birthplace of Charles the 1st, king of England, Scotland and Ireland
Has a MASSIVE city park, left to us from Andrew Carnegie.
Hometown and Birthplace of the great Andrew Carnegie.
Has two very popular Theatres.
Burrial place of King Robert The Bruce.
Original hometown of Gordon Brown.
Hometown of John Anderson (Gladiators Referee) for a period.
Has one of the biggest Abbey's in the world + ruins of the ancient royal palace.

Captain.Remy
05-11-2008, 07:26 PM
Message original : Tom
Marseille:
-3 islands.
-340 days of Sun.

Paris is a nice city (some areas) but people are just terrible, cold, posh, obnoxious and don't know how to party. And it's damn dirty !
Northern and Southern people HATE each other.

Tom
05-11-2008, 07:31 PM
Marseille:
-3 islands.
-340 days of Sun.

Paris is a nice city (some areas) but people are just terrible, cold, posh, obnoxious and don't know how to party. And it's damn dirty !
Northern and Southern people HATE each other.

It doesn't matter about the rest, its just that its dirty that bothers me and makes me dislike it :tongue:

Disneyland was good though, not as good as Florida but still good :spin2:

melanie
05-11-2008, 07:34 PM
Vancouver

- nicknamed "North Hollywood"
- 3rd most livable city in the world/most livable city in Canada
- weather is nice, not too hot or cold

but
- everyone and their mom owns a BMW
- real estate is too expensive
- we're bound to have a big earthquake/tsunami within the next 5 years :|

Captain.Remy
05-11-2008, 07:37 PM

It doesn't matter about the rest, its just that its dirty that bothers me and makes me dislike it :tongue:

Disneyland was good though, not as good as Florida but still good :spin2:

Disneyland is amazing. I've been there 5 times I think.
And it's not even in Paris lol :hugesmile:

Red Moon
05-11-2008, 07:55 PM
While we are talking about France can we have Brittany back please?

I ask nicely because we don't want to have to clone duke John IV and send back over to sort out the French again.

Tom4784
05-11-2008, 08:04 PM
This is what it said about my town on Wikipedia.

Pensnett is an area of the Metropolitan Borough of Dudley, West Midlands, England. It is situated three miles south-west of Dudley and two miles north of Brierley Hill. In 1966, Pensnett joined the County Borough of Dudley which became part of the Metropolitan Borough of Dudley in 1974.

[edit] Origins
Originally, Pensnett was a village in the countryside of south Staffordshire, in the parish of St Mark's, created during the 18th century. It was largely rural with just a handful of cottages and a tavern surrounded by farmland.

Towards the end of the 19th century the face of the area began a period of dramatic change. Several factories were built in Pensnett and the factory workers were mostly employed in the iron and steel industries. Many terraced houses with shop fronts were developed along the village's High Street around the turn of the 20th century, but the biggest changes were yet to come.

After World War I, Brierley Hill Urban District Council followed the example of almost every other local authority in Britain and built houses which were to be rented out to working class families. Several hundred council houses were built in the Pensnett area between 1920 and 1966, although a large percentage of the village's homes were privately owned.

[edit] Location
Pensnett lies in the Brierley Hill DY5 postal district. Due to its proximity to the Merry Hill Shopping Centre, which was built during the 1980s, the roads around Pensnett are nowadays extremely congested. As long ago as the early 1990s, there were plans to build a relief road around Pensnett, but they have yet to come to fruition.

Pensnett is home to the Pensnett Trading Estate, which was mostly developed during the 1980s as one of a series of government enterprise zones set up to bring employment to areas in economic decline due to deindustrialisation.

[edit] Education
The local secondary school is the Pensnett High School in Tiled House Lane which was previously known as Pensnett School of Technology and Pensnett Secondary Modern School. The school changed from Pensnett School of Technology to Pensnett High School in 2007. However, shortly after the school's update, it was announced that the school will be closed in 2010 and all the children will be sent to two new academies in the Dudley area.

The local authority's Learning Support centre was situated on Birds Meadow from 1978 until 1989, within the buildings of the former Birds Meadow Infant School which dated back to the 1930s. The site was redeveloped for private housing in the early 1990s.

Which basically means....nothing interesting!

LemonJam
05-11-2008, 08:08 PM
Guernsey - Its an island with no VAT. :laugh:

Jen
05-11-2008, 08:09 PM
Saintfield

History
Saintfield was originally an early 17th century settlement, from which the parish church survives. The present town form of Saintfield dates back to the early 18th century and the establishment of linen manufacturing and other trades by the Price family. The village had a number of corn, flour and flax mills, the remains of which are visible today, and has retained a tradition of textile manufacture through Saintfield Yarns. The architectural and historic significance of its town centre is reflected in its designation as a Conservation Area in 1997.
Saintfield is probably most famous for the battle that took place there in June 1798, between the United Irishmen and the York fencibles and local yeomanry during the Irish rebellion. The headstones of men who were killed in this battle can be seen near the river at the bottom of the 1st Presbyterian Church graveyard, however the actual graves and bodies have been built over with new housing.

Demographics
Saintfield is classified as an intermediate settlement by the NI Statistics and Research Agency (NISRA) (ie with population between 2,250 and 4,500 people). On Census day (29 April 2001) there were 2,959 people living in Saintfield. Of these:

25.6% were aged under 16 years and 16.3% were aged 60 and over
47.8% of the population were male and 52.2% were female
23.8% were from a Catholic background and 71.4% were from a Protestant background
1.9% of people aged 16-74 were unemployed.
For more details see: NI Neighbourhood Information Service

In 1837 the population of Saintfield area was 7,154 of whom 1,053 lived in the town [1].

[edit] Places of interest
The Rowallane Garden is situated just outside the village. The exotic gardens were started over 100 years ago, and are now in the care of the National Trust.
Many of the buildings on the main street have old stables and courtyards behind them.
The old White Horse Inn also sits on the main street.
From Lewis Topographical Dictionary (1837): The proprietor and lord of the manor, N. Price, Esq., improved the town in 1802, when he erected a large market-house and hotel, since which time Saintfield has been rapidly improving, and is now one of the most flourishing towns in the county.

The Market House (now an Orange Hall) and the Hotel (now a private house) can be seen on Main Street.
The Gaff of Christian

Wiki :lovedup:

Red Moon
05-11-2008, 09:09 PM
Just remembered their was a monk that lived in the village in the 14th-century who became Archbishop of Canterbury.

I knew I missed something.

Lauren
05-11-2008, 09:20 PM
Houghton-le-Spring is a town that is nowadays found in the county of Tyne and Wear, North East England that has its recorded origins in Norman times.

Houghton Feast is an ancient festival held every October in the town. It has its origins in the 1100s as the dedication festival to the Parish Church of St Michael & All Angels. Nowadays the festival lasts ten days and typically features a fairground, carnival, fireworks and ox roasting event, in commemoration of Rector Bernard Gilpin's feeding of the poor.

Houghton-Le-Spring's main shopping area is located in Newbottle Street which includes a supermarket, a library, the Post Office and various other retail outlets. Pubs in Houghton-Le-Spring include The White Lion, The Copt Hill, The Mill, The Burn, The Britannia and The Golden Lion which reportedly has stood for almost 300 years. The earliest records for the public house date from 1827 and show that it was owned by the Rector.

DamonJ
05-11-2008, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by DoubleTrouble
Ermm...?

- Leona Lewis is from here. Family still lives here and her cousin's in year 7 in my school.

- During World War II, much of the area was damaged in the Blitz

- Other Celebs Like, Barbara Windsor and Zoe Lucker were born and raised here.

- Amy Winehouse filmed her video 'Back To Black' in our local cemetery.

Here is some info from Wiki;

Stoke Newington or 'new town in the wood', has been lightly settled for many hundreds of years, close to larger neighbouring Saxon settlements near the River Lea. In the nineteenth century it was discovered that Stoke Newington Common and Abney Park Cemetery had been part of a Neolithic working area for axe-making, some examples of which can be seen in the Museum of London.

Stoke Newington is recorded as part of the Ossulstone hundred in the county of Middlesex in the Domesday Book of 1086. In the 17th century, for administrative purposes the west of Stoke Newington High Street became part of the new Finsbury division and the east part of the Tower division. Both divisions were in 1889 then incorporated into the County of London.

Sorry but :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

i LOVE Zoe Lucker! :lovedup:

Chri$
05-11-2008, 10:37 PM
- Weather mostly always Sunny and Warm.
- Named the Sunshine state.
- Real estate is Mostly cheep.
- Every food place you can imagine Chinese, British, Czech, Fast food and more.
- The best theme parks like Disney, Universal Studios, Wet and Wild, Sea world, Bush Gardens.
- Lots of interesting attractions like Titanic Center, Ripley's Believe it or Not, Crocodile tours in lakes and loads more.
-Great shopping Malls everywhere.

Sticks
06-11-2008, 06:53 AM
Newcastle upon Tyne

Home of Newcastle Brown Ale (No longer)

Home of Europes oldest covered market at Grainger Market

Capital city of the North East Region

Eastern end of Hadrian's Wall

Oh there is a local football team, but I never talk about them

SiaSiaSia
06-11-2008, 07:24 AM
Colchester:

- old capital of britain
- england's oldest recorded town
- one of the biggest libdem towns in the country :P
- ultra famous and amazing zoo
- "humpty dumpty" and "twinkle twinkle little star" were written here

Famous People:
- Damon Albarn <3. Of Blur and the Gorrilaz
- Darren Day
- Dermot O'Leary

hannah.
06-11-2008, 07:27 AM
gay capital!
it's nice and diverse, you can walk down the road dressed as a crayon and only be looked at funny by 11 year old chavs and old ladies, everyone else smiles bemusedly [i have actually done this]

famous people:
holly willoughby
katie price
the kooks
preston
pete bb7

erm.. i cant think of anything else other than that I live here :wink:

hannah.
06-11-2008, 07:31 AM
oh and there's more clubs per square inch than anywhere else in the country.. it's something like 26 every 1.5 sq. mile...

Z
06-11-2008, 04:00 PM
Oil capital of Europe
Granite
Annie Lennox was born here
Press and Journal based here (oldest newspaper in Scotland)
Aberdeen Football Club
David Carry (swimmer) comes from here (and went to my school!)
Paul Lawrie also from Aberdeen (his son goes to my school also)
Nicol Stephen
Thomas Blake Glover (founded Mitsubishi)

and also I live there, it's pretty sweet.

Christina
06-11-2008, 04:08 PM
LMAO. I was just on Facebook and i searched up on Facebook about Brixton [where i live] and it says this:

Basic Info
Type: Geography - Neighbourhoods

Description: Brixton Academy, Ritzy cinema, gun crime, drug dealers on the street, countless number of fried chicken shops - what's not to love about Brixton?

Bloody hell that sounds awful dosen't it haha!? :laugh:

Erm and this is off Wikipedia:

Brixton has a mix of residents, ranging from people that have lived in Brixton for generations to new residents that have moved prompted by a new trendy image that Brixton projects.[1] Brixton is a multiethnic community, with around 24 percent of Brixton’s population being of African and/or Caribbean descent,[2] giving rise to Brixton as the unofficial capital of the British African-Caribbean community in London.

Its not great :whistle: but i love it!

Gemmer-x
06-11-2008, 06:13 PM
Robin Hood :hugesmile:

Nicky.
06-11-2008, 06:14 PM
ooo all of Hollyoaks's outdoor scenes are filmed in Chester ! :bouncy:

andand there is one scene in Harry Potter which was filmed at Chester cathedral :spin:

_Seth
07-11-2008, 04:11 PM
It's a shithole. That's why we're moving after my Year 11.

Annie
07-11-2008, 05:23 PM
West Lothian

Mmmm good things:

I live there
Good shopping centre
Nice big houses
Lots of jobs