PDA

View Full Version : "That is so gay".

Killian
09-11-2008, 05:31 PM
I hate that term. Our generation uses it so often, and a friend of mine said it the other day and I asked him: "Do you not like gay people?" and he said: "Nah mate, I don't have a problem with them at all". And I was like WTF? Using the word 'gay' to describe something that you dislike or don't think is appealing or something you think is stupid? That's derogatory, rude, and condescending. And it's used so casually. It frustrates me so much, and also with the fact that people think that the word 'gay' is an insult. It's pathetic that some people that use the term so lightly. I'm not trying to be politically correct or pretending at all, and if somebody thinks that I'm strange for posting this then I don't care.

Rant over.

supernoodles!
09-11-2008, 05:32 PM
hmmm i think people used to say it in school when we were like 11/12,most people grow out of saying it

Jen
09-11-2008, 05:34 PM
Laura you're right.
People do grow out of saying it...
I find it quite childish... :/

Killian
09-11-2008, 05:36 PM
People I know are saying it, even people as old as eighteen.

Nicky.
09-11-2008, 05:36 PM
It annoys me too! All the year 7s and 8s use it.. they really need to grow up!!

and when they say someone is a lesbian.. as if its a really harsh thing to say.. its like wtf xD

Jen
09-11-2008, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Killian

Punch them for being immature..

I must point out I shall not been blammed for provoking violence.. :P

Magic
09-11-2008, 05:40 PM
I dunno, some people just are used to saying it tbh, they dont mean it offensive. Loads of common words root back to 'offensive' terms.

MrGaryy
09-11-2008, 05:41 PM
I used to ahte it and get really offended but at the end of the day most people don't actually mean offence to gay people, it's just like any other word now. I say a little myself, although to be fair I am gay so I'm not gonna offend myself.

pinkmichk
09-11-2008, 05:44 PM
its not just those who are a bit younger my 18 year old cousin says it when we was at his 18th party everything from the way his dad was dancing to the pic on the cake to some of the decoartions were "so gay"

Lauren
09-11-2008, 05:45 PM
It only annoys me cos it's clearly not synonymous with "stupid" or whatever they mean by it. Surely there are better words that should come to mind than "gay" ?

Tom
09-11-2008, 05:48 PM
People grow out of it when they're about 12

rayheartbliss
09-11-2008, 06:04 PM
hmmm yerh....
mostly blokes say it to their friends.....
i gues its only meant as a jokes sort of thing

AngRemembered
09-11-2008, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by JDIZZEL

Punch them for being immature..

I must point out I shall not been blammed for provoking violence.. :P

LMAO, do you know that took me almost 10 minutes to find my glasses to read the small print Jen, damn it was worth it, you gave me the biggest laff of the day sweet heart :kiss::joker:

oh, and by the way I have never said the line "this is so gay" but would definately feel like bashing someone with my handbag if I heard it ...just to make Jen feel slightly guilty for encouraging violence :whistle:

Loukas
09-11-2008, 06:14 PM
I think we should start saying 'Thats so straight!'

Killian
09-11-2008, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by rayheartbliss
hmmm yerh....

The majority of people who say it over here are teenage girls.

rayheartbliss
09-11-2008, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by rayheartbliss
hmmm yerh....

The majority of people who say it over here are teenage girls.

isit!

well, the ones i kno are mostly blokes

DamonJ
09-11-2008, 06:29 PM
I'm gay & still call stuff gay :/
I see no problem with it myself.

Z
09-11-2008, 06:34 PM
I see what you're saying Killian, but IMO what you're saying is another case of PC gone too far. It has no bearing on gay people, it's just a way of saying "I don't like ___" and, considering that gay, meaning homosexual, took the meaning of another word (gay meaning happy) I find it a bit of a joke that people get annoyed when the word has another, newer meaning. I can understand that it's very annoying for you, but all things considered, I don't personally consider it to be an issue..

_Seth
09-11-2008, 06:55 PM
It is kinda bad, tbh.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TdgpgRgwM8c

Killian
09-11-2008, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Z
I see what you're saying Killian, but IMO what you're saying is another case of PC gone too far. It has no bearing on gay people, it's just a way of saying "I don't like ___" and, considering that gay, meaning homosexual, took the meaning of another word (gay meaning happy) I find it a bit of a joke that people get annoyed when the word has another, newer meaning. I can understand that it's very annoying for you, but all things considered, I don't personally consider it to be an issue..

I know where you're coming from too, but it was more a spontaneous post rather than an "I'M TAKING A STAND" post, you know? I just read an article in a magazine about it and it said that kids across the country have turned to drugs and bad decisions because of being made fun of for being 'gay'. I overreacted, I guess. It still pisses me off when people use it negatively though...

Spike
09-11-2008, 07:13 PM
I hate the phrase so much, I have found that its mainly the immature people who say it

Z
09-11-2008, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Z

I know where you're coming from too, but it was more a spontaneous post rather than an "I'M TAKING A STAND" post, you know? I just read an article in a magazine about it and it said that kids across the country have turned to drugs and bad decisions because of being made fun of for being 'gay'. I overreacted, I guess. It still p****s me off when people use it negatively though...

Yeah. I didn't mean to sound like I was criticising you in my post or anything! I totally understand what you mean, it's just that I think in the majority of cases people do not mean it offensively at all, it's just another way of saying "I don't like this."

Hugo
09-11-2008, 08:12 PM
I see know problem with it at all tbh.

Nurse57
10-11-2008, 09:03 AM
Homosexuals are gay.

cheeseandpickles
10-11-2008, 10:37 AM
One of my best friends is gay and he says "that is so gay" himself!Most kids just say it because they don't understand what it really means but once they are over 12 it's not a funny thing 2 say anymore!

ange7
10-11-2008, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Nurse57
Homosexuals are gay.
that is so homosexual!

bluehill
10-11-2008, 11:41 AM
the change of language happens all the time

in the old times gay ment happy then gay ment homosexual
andd now it is too descirbe somthing bad

it is the magic of language changes all the time :thumbs2:

GhettoSuperstar
10-11-2008, 12:38 PM
If people can't see a problem with it then the problem is that people are offended by it. :conf2: Er, duh.

I'm not bothered by it myself but I don't like when people are just clearly ignorant of what they are saying.