PDA

View Full Version : My computer is dying

Sticks
12-11-2008, 06:58 AM
Very old posters will remember back in 2002 I was replacing the Packard Bell with Miss Compaq

Well now that computer has been having problems.

It takes a long time to boot up, and during the boot up process it claims the fire wall s not on, so I click that balloon, and most of the time when the XP security centre comes up, it seems to be on.

It takes a while before MSN is ready for me to close.

When I try and start up Firefox it would ordinarily take up to seven minutes sometime for it to come on line and bee usable.

Lately, when I have a virus data base update with Avast, if anyone knows it, the whole PC hangs, with even the clock in the bottom right hand corner freezing.

When the update happens I get a blue box popping up which you are supposed to click for more information and it says in an American accent "Virus database has been updated".

I even experimented with waiting for the update to show, before trying to start firefox, but still the PC hangs and the fans whirr.

All I can do it seems is press the power button and hold to do a hard shutdown and then wait forever to do a reeboot.

A while back, I tried to use the disc clean utility and all that did was reboot the machine which was scary. Defrag reports said I did not need to defrag it, and I get scared of using that now anyway.

My understanding is that hard shutdowns damage the hard drive, but I do not seem to have any option. Yesterday, I had to mannually get MSN to connect instead of it connecting automaticaly

Even when it is up and running, it runs very slowly.

My PC is dying and it is over 6 years old.

Most of my work now is done on the lap top which I got last year, but I need a desk top for printing and dialing up certain accounts to keep them alive. Having never had a BT line, I could not make use of their broadband packages.

Modern PCs do not seem to have a dial up modem

Help?

Red Moon
12-11-2008, 08:01 AM
Sounds like what might be in order is a full reinstallation of Windows XP.

However if your looking to replace it and your willing to re use the screen and keyboard you should be able to pick up an Windows XP machine for about £200 and buy a plug in modem for about £6.

Here are a couple of links:

£200 - Windows XP Computer (http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=28093&category_id=677&manufacturer_id=0&tid=)
£6 - Modem (http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=9244&category_id=167&manufacturer_id=0&tid=net-lynx-56/int/mot)

In theory if you take XP off the old machine you can use it on the new one, but you would have to check with MicroCrap. If you can you can save even more:

£140 - Computer (No Operating system) (http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=27122&category_id=677&manufacturer_id=0)

_Seth
13-11-2008, 08:32 PM
You can use a printer on a laptop. :bigsmile:

Sarah.
13-11-2008, 08:35 PM
My computer is the exact same. I gave up with it and bought a laptop.

Sticks
17-11-2008, 07:02 AM
The suggestion is on the table I just decomission the compaq and move my laptop into place.

This weekend I have successfully used my lap top to dial into two of my critical dial ups.

The only problem is, as the laptop is carried when I go on trips, is we have an all eggs in one basket scenario. I have however seen a new compaq in Tesco Direct if anyone wants to look that one up.

I may go with celeron though, as I do not do gaming at all.

Sticks
01-01-2009, 07:16 AM
This is a further update on my computer Miss Compaq

Today is it's last full day of operation, as at the New Years eve party at church, one of our ministers who is also an expert in buy computers said that he will take me on Friday, (tomorrow as I post this) to get a new system.

I will then need to decommission the old machine

I do not feel like going through the gargantuan process of running the nuke option, especially as it would want to download service pack 3, so may just delete various settings and files.

What I would like to happen would be for someone to take the old PC away, re-condition it and give it to a charity.

My efforts to find such a charity have not been successful. The nearest one I found, was Manchester :rolleyes:

Any ideas?

This feels like an end of an era, just like when I got rid of the Packard Bell in 2002. You may have briefly seen the old threads I bumped.

andyman
01-01-2009, 07:24 AM
You could give the computer to a family member or friend who has no such funds to buy a computer.

And you don't do gaming at all?

Red Moon
01-01-2009, 09:47 AM
Another option, might be to trying a local nursery. They often use old computers for the little children to learn hand and eye coordination skills.

Tom
01-01-2009, 01:14 PM
Sell the computer on ebay and donate the money instead?

Sticks
01-01-2009, 01:16 PM
The situation is now, I have been informed by Currys that they take in and dispose of old systems, and as space is limited in my flat, it looks like I will be doing that option.

This is a shame as they do not recondition them for charity

I did hunt around in my local area for such a charity but did not find any

A sad end to my faithful system

:sad:

Sticks
01-01-2009, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Tom

It is so old and out of date now, who would buy it, plus there is shipping and handling plus storing it in the interim

The person helping me with the new system will be coming for me between 10:00 and 10:30

hannah.
01-01-2009, 01:27 PM
my computer does the exact same things, although it's not as old as yours, and it likes to shut down things randomly, and sometimes refuses to turn on. I hate it :bored:

Xander
01-01-2009, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Sticks
Originally posted by Tom

It is so old and out of date now, who would buy it, plus there is shipping and handling plus storing it in the interim

The person helping me with the new system will be coming for me between 10:00 and 10:30

People would always want it for spares & repairs.

Sticks
02-01-2009, 05:25 AM
I know, but I am over a barrel here, I do not have the space

I feel I have betrayed this computer whiuch has given me loyal service for so long. If it had not been for the problems it would not be being replaced, but now it is too late, between 10 and 10:30 I am expecting my pick upto come and take the old one away with us as I get a new system in the sale :bawling:

This is my last time on TiBB using Miss Compac and it breaks my heart that we could not continue.

In October I did try and find details of a charity that would recondition this machine, but it was to no avail.

I will be still around I hope on the laptop and when it is up to speed, the new system what ever that is, so this is me signing off for now

Ross
02-01-2009, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by Sticks
I know, but I am over a barrel here, I do not have the space

I feel I have betrayed this computer whiuch has given me loyal service for so long. If it had not been for the problems it would not be being replaced, but now it is too late, between 10 and 10:30 I am expecting my pick upto come and take the old one away with us as I get a new system in the sale :bawling:

This is my last time on TiBB using Miss Compac and it breaks my heart that we could not continue.

In October I did try and find details of a charity that would recondition this machine, but it was to no avail.

I will be still around I hope on the laptop and when it is up to speed, the new system what ever that is, so this is me signing off for now
Peace out earthling.