PDA

View Full Version : Carphone Warehouse scammed me

Ross
27-12-2008, 05:47 PM
Right as most of you know I bought the iPhone like 4th December (it's on contract) well anyway... I set up insurance and all that jazz and that was that... I got paid the next day and was planning to spend it on Christmas shopping... well to cut a long story short, I went to draw money out on the 8th of December and I realised like £100 has gone missing from my account :conf2: so my mum was like "Oh, you probably spent it and not realised..." which I thought I did... but when my mum went to Natwest to get a 3 weeks transaction print-off and when we checked, from 8th to 9th december £109 went missing from my account and wasn't on the transaction.

Well anyway, today me and my mum went to the actual bank and spoke with a manager woman to upgrade my card to Meastro anyway but we brought up the fact that £109 was missing from my account... and when she checked transactions, it was on there under a company called "DCL Global" or something - which we had no clue what it was. The manager lady then said to me; "Before we start anything, have you got a contract phone with Carphone Warehouse?" and I was like "Yeah..."and she goes "Yeah, that's what it is. You're the 3rd person this year to come to us about this.

Basically, Carphone Warehouse SOLD my contact details (ie: house number, address and also my card number, account number and my bank) to one of these phone company people... well to explain that, on like the 7th of December I had a phone call from someone called "Steven" saying he was from the insurance and that my phone insurance would be reduced to whatever ammount he said, I can't remember. He was asking me all this information about my card and stuff and at first I said to him "Well don't you already have my card details :conf2:" and then he was like "Yes... but we need this for security purposes" so me being the plank I am, I stupidly give him my card number, the digits on the back of my card. (Not my pin) and didn't think anything of it. But today we discovered that this is where my money has gone because Carphone Warehouse sold my details to this company and they took £109.99 (to be precise) from my bank.

It's annoying because I'm stupid for giving him my details, but how was I too know? The woman said, it happens quite a lot. Also, what makes it worse is that my contract phone is by Direct Debit and they took the money out... which made me go into an overdraft - all because this company stole my money. So now the manager lady said she's hoping to give me my overdraft money back and that she phoned the higher office for the address of this "DCL Global" so we can track them down and get my money back, if not we have to contact the police because it's fraud.

I find it disgusting that the Carphone Warehouse sell peoples details on and then could easily get robbed like I was.

I'm cancelling my current account at the moment, and when I get my Maestro that will be my new card. I'm so annoyed though, that money was my Christmas shopping money... I had to lend money off my parents then.

Just posting so beware and try not to set up a contract phone with Carphone Warehouse, T-Mobile or Vodafone as they all sell your details on.

bronaaaa
27-12-2008, 05:49 PM
:hug:
Ragee..thats awful

Kevin
27-12-2008, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the warning Ross, that sucks.

Bastards.

Lauren
27-12-2008, 05:51 PM
That's awful. Never going with them ever.

Princess
That's horrible!! Hope you get it all sorted out.

Fom
Thats illegal, I am sure you can sue for that. There is laws against them giving away your details to prevent things like this.

Ross
27-12-2008, 05:53 PM
Well the woman said so much for data-base protection.

Also, they could turn around and say I gave them my details... but then they were offering something thats a lie. So they're disgusting.

rayheartbliss
27-12-2008, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Lauren
That's awful. Never going with them ever.

Matt08
27-12-2008, 05:55 PM
I saw this scam on Wacthdog a few weeks back. If I was you then i'd contact Trading Standards and take some sort of legal action against Carphone Warehouse.

Tom
27-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Mines with CPW and I've had no problems so I wouldn't advise people to not use them, just don't give your card details out over the phone ...

Fom
27-12-2008, 05:56 PM
No I would reccomend not letting this go, because the data protection act is there for a reason. They are allowed to give on your name and address... but you cant give away card details, its illegal. If I was you I would be ringing carphone warehouse and confronting them, and demanding a refund. The bank should refund it anyway. There should be no reason why you shouldn't get your money back if you didn't give consent for the money to go.

But if you gave credit card details over the phone, you are kinda to blame. Silly thing to do, never do that.

Ross
27-12-2008, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Tom
Mines with CPW and I've had no problems ...
Well some people are just lucky. There's no doubt they have your details though.

Ross
27-12-2008, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Fom
No I would reccomend not letting this go, because the data protection act is there for a reason. They are allowed to give on your name and address... but you cant give away card details, its illegal. If I was you I would be ringing carphone warehouse and confronting them, and demanding a refund. The bank should refund it anyway. There should be no reason why you shouldn't get your money back if you didn't give consent for the money to go.
We're not letting it drop, don't worry.

The only thing I'm worrying about is I DID give them my details - which I did question at first but then he was like "Yes, we need them to reduce your insurance." that could be their arguement, but at the end of the day they advertised me false information.

Xander
27-12-2008, 06:04 PM
Thats awful! :sad:
Thanks for letting me know in future, with the DPA they can give away your name and address but not card details, thats illegal.
I hope you take this a lot further and make sure something gets done about it, as its terrible them taking that amount of money out. :hug:

Ross
27-12-2008, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Xander
Thats awful! :sad:
Thanks for letting me know in future, with the DPA they can give away your name and address but not card details, thats illegal.
I hope you take this a lot further and make sure something gets done about it, as its terrible them taking that amount of money out. :hug:
Thank you :hug:

pinkmichk
27-12-2008, 06:22 PM
:hug: thats awful i would contact watchdog and the police as well so they have records of it yes you gave details you know it was a daft thing to do but that is how these scammers work by luring you in with a false sense of security

GhettoSuperstar
29-12-2008, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Fom
Thats illegal, I am sure you can sue for that. There is laws against them giving away your details to prevent things like this.

You could but the bigger and vast size of the company means there is less to be done about it.

That's **** dude. Hope you get it sorted out and some sorta compensation.

I'm still PAYG just because I can't deal with contracts. My mind is too incapable to work it out.

Magic
29-12-2008, 01:58 PM
They obviously saw you coming. Suppose it's karma.

Annie
29-12-2008, 02:44 PM
Awww babe thats horrible. Hope the bank refund you through the Direct Debit Guarantee :bigsmile: