PDA

View Full Version : The COMPLETE guide to my perfect BB

Brad*
25-01-2009, 11:22 AM
This is a list of the things I would like to happen with BB10:

The General Series

- The theme for the series should be equality. I say this after the Heaven and Hell and HoH battle theme in BB9.

- BB should really be more strict than ever before. I don't think there should be a jail because that didn't work. However, BB could punish the group as a whole for individuals breaking the rules.

- I think that there should be 10 HM's on opening night, with a maximum of 2 latecomers. No more latecomers by the third week (Day 20ish).

- Make the eye green and very different to all the others we have seen before. There will be a greenish theme in the house as well.

- I would like 10 normal, down-to-earth people (5 men and 5 women) who are not related, gay, bisexual, lesbian, have a deformity (blind (Mikey BB9), dwarfism (Verne CBB6), psychological issues (Nikki and Shahbaz BB7), Tourettes (Pete BB7)). Argumentative people would be nice as well.

- A 9 week series, going from early July to early September.

- A new behind the scenes team with original task ideas and fantastic twists.

- Even though this is the 10th BB I still don't want anything stupid like an All Stars series, just a normal BB with lots of action.

- No HoH (Head of House) because it has been used and wasn't successful then so it won't be now.

- There should be a handful of twists throughout the series. Meaning one every 2 or 3 weeks.

- An entire series of normal nominations (no twists on every other week).

- A vote to save should be used to keep the interesting HM's in and kick the bores out early (the exact opposite to BB9).

- End with 4 in the final and have proper interviews with them (possibly 20 minutes each).

- Have a 2 hour launch and finale.

- No launch night twists (such as the BB8 all female house).

The House

- Get a completely new house for a fresh start (around the same size as the current house in Elstree).

- Have a couple of secret rooms for tasks.

- Do not have a heaven and hell divide again because that has been used before and wasn't exactly brilliant in BB9.

- Make it a nice vibrant and colourful house with unique features.

- The designers are paid a lot to do the house so they should have to earn their money with wacky furniture, strange colours and well proportioned rooms.

- Ideally, I would have:

- One bedroom which is fairly small and cramped. It should only just be able to fit 10 beds in it. The beds should be hard and uncomfortable, very low to the floor and thinner in width than a single bed (a single bed is 3 feet wide (90ish cms)). The bedroom should be a sky blue-ish colour (almost an off-white).

- The bathroom coming off the bedroom should be a tiny room which just about fits a toilet and a sink in. This could also be in the same sky blue-ish colour as the bedroom.

- The living room should be of an average size. A mixture of 4 single seats and 3 sofas would seat the 10 HM's. The seats and sofas would be in all different colours, ranging from a dark brown to a vibrant yellow. The walls could be a mix of flicked paint colours (just like the purple BBCH living room wall, but in all different colours).

- The dining area/kitchen would be in a different space from the living area. This would mean you have to go through a door from the living room to the dining area and kitchen. The dining area would consist of a table with 10 chairs and it would be made of marble. In fact, the whole kitchen and dining area will be made of marble. In the kitchen there could be an ultra-modern theme where the kitchen had nice wooden (a light colour of wood) cupboard doors. A large cooker and hob could be situated in the centre of the kitchen.

- The diary room should be slightly hidden but still reasonably visible in the house. If you were to look at the wall in the bedroom, directly next to the bathroom door there could be a very faint outline of a door which blends in perfectly with the wall. When you push this (kind of)hidden door you would go straight into the diary room. The chair would be an extremely soft hand shape which can hold up to 6 HM's. It would be nice to have a green chair for the first time (I think).

- The garden should be the smallest ever. The outside area should be big enough for sunbathing and swimming in the pool (10m long and 5m wide) but not large enough to have much privacy. A tiny barbeque area next to the sunbathing beds will be available at any time.

- The flooring should be laminated the whole way through the house (like the BBCH living room floor).

- There should be a task room which comes off the living room and is large enough for any task that would be done in the house.

- The entrance should be flat and should not involve stairs at all (like Verne's entrance). A small walkway of about 5m from when you get inside the door to when you enter the living room should be about right.

The Shows

- I would like to scrap Big Mouth in favour of a more exciting Little Brother.

- Jack Whitehall should become presenter of BBLB and George Lamb should leave.

- In a new and improved BBLB there should be more features with audience discussion (making up for the loss of BBBM) and less dithering around in the boring and tired 30 minutes of the current BBLB.

- A compact show which runs for the full 30 minutes (instead of a pathetic 23 or so (including the ad break)).

- Daily HL shows should start at exactly 9pm and finish at near enough 10pm.

- Eviction shows should be one lump show of 90mins between 9pm and 10.30pm. These should also finish on time and not 5 or 10 minutes early.

- The eviction interviews should last a full 15-20 minutes and not 10, even for the first evictee when their isn't much to talk about.

- Scrap the Diary Room Uncut as well if it hasn't already been discontinued.

- You absolutely must do the 24/7 Live Feed. This might save Big Brother.

Advertising

- As I said earlier, the series should start in early July to give the producers time to sort out everything and make it a great series. If we want a great series with improved viewing figures then we will need a massive advertising campaign. Personally, I would start with proper, full adverts in early June (a month before launch) with the launch date on the advert. No fancy eye flashes and stupid things like that, just go straight in there and tell the viewers the launch date well in advance. Then start the house ads with glimpses of the house a couple of weeks before launch.

- Do something along the lines of the Golden Ticket in BB7 to get people buzzing and excited. Heavily advertise all twists and eviction shows which may be on at times that are not usual for BB (10.30-11.00).

What do you think of what I have written and what would you change for a perfect BB?

*mazedsalv**
25-01-2009, 11:27 AM
I agree with everything except the amount of HMs. i think 14 should go in (with no newcomers, only if someone WALKS) and last for 10 weeks instead of 9.

Brad*
25-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by *mazedsalv**
I agree with everything except the amount of HMs. i think 14 should go in (with no newcomers, only if someone WALKS) and last for 10 weeks instead of 9.

But 14 is too many if you only want 4 or 5 on finale night without double evictions because it is predictable that BB will go overboard again on the amount of HM's they add throughout the series.

Spike
25-01-2009, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by darky

- I would like 10 normal, down-to-earth people (5 men and 5 women) who are not related, gay, bisexual, lesbian, have a deformity (blind (Mikey BB9), very small (Verne CBB6), psychological issues (Nikki and Shahbaz BB7), tourettes (Pete BB7)). Argumentative people would be nice as well.

So aren't gay, bisexual, lesbian and people with disabilities normal then?

Brad*
25-01-2009, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Spike

- I would like 10 normal, down-to-earth people (5 men and 5 women) who are not related, gay, bisexual, lesbian, have a deformity (blind (Mikey BB9), very small (Verne CBB6), psychological issues (Nikki and Shahbaz BB7), tourettes (Pete BB7)). Argumentative people would be nice as well.

Yeah, but they are just the types of people to be put on the show just because they are different and it's not fair on the other people who aren't gay, lesbian, bisexual or deformed when they are the more entertaining HM.

Sam1994
25-01-2009, 11:41 AM
- There should be a handful of twists throughout the series. Meaning one every 2 or 3 weeks.

Don't these two kind of contradict each other?

You have some good ideas, but no vote to save, a few weeks longer than 9 (maybe 11 or 12) and definitely more housemates. I would also like to see the HOH back.

Spike
25-01-2009, 11:42 AM

Yeah, but they are just the types of people to be put on the show just because they are different and it's not fair on the other people who aren't gay, lesbian, bisexual or deformed when they are the more entertaining HM.

How do you know these people are put on the show just because they are different?
How do you know the perfect straight people who have auditioned this year are going to be more entertaining than the gay, bisexual, lesbian and people with disabilities who have auditioned?
It depends on the person to whether they will be a good housemate not their sexuality, age, gender etc.

Brad*
25-01-2009, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Sam1994

You have some good ideas, but no vote to save, a few weeks longer than 9 (maybe 11 or 12) and definitely more housemates.

Nominations twists aren't the same as just a general twist, which may be to do with a task or maybe that one HM is evicted and another one comes in on the same night.

If the series is much longer than 9 weeks, the entertainment becomes worse and worse. If it is not a vote to save then we will be left with the boring ones for 11-12 weeks and that is an extremely long time. Viewers will just become bored and switch off. Maybe 12 HM's could go in on launch night but that would be an absolute maximum.

Sam1994
25-01-2009, 11:48 AM

You have some good ideas, but no vote to save, a few weeks longer than 9 (maybe 11 or 12) and definitely more housemates.

Nominations twists aren't the same as just a general twist, which may be to do with a task or maybe that one HM is evicted and another one comes in on the same night.

If the series is much longer than 9 weeks, the entertainment becomes worse and worse. If it is not a vote to save then we will be left with the boring ones for 11-12 weeks and that is an extremely long time. Viewers will just become bored and switch off. Maybe 12 HM's could go in on launch night but that would be an absolute maximum.

The last series lasted well after the 9th week and it was entertaining all the way through. What makes you think they can't do it again?

Brad*
25-01-2009, 11:52 AM

How do you know these people are put on the show just because they are different?
How do you know the perfect straight people who have auditioned this year are going to be more entertaining than the gay, bisexual, lesbian and people with disabilities who have auditioned?
It depends on the person to whether they will be a good housemate not their sexuality, age, gender etc.

I am going on what I have seen in previous years and I don't like:

Shahbaz (BB7)

Richard (BB7)

Seany (BB8)

Gerry (BB8)

Dennis (BB9)

I can accept that I don't know who has auditioned this year and that there could well be a gay, lesbian, bisexual or deformed HM that I really like this year, in fact, my favourite housemate ever is Pete and he had Tourettes.

I know that these people are put on the show because they are different seeing as there aren't that many gay, lesbian, bisexual and deformed people in the 'outside world' and that if they weren't different then not many people would watch it.

By the way, I never brought age or gender into the equation.

Matt
25-01-2009, 11:55 AM
Here are my opinions on some of your points.

Sorry if I've brought up points that have already been brought up - quite a few replies have been made to this thread whilst I was writing mine.

I would like 10 normal, down-to-earth people (5 men and 5 women) who are not related, gay, bisexual, lesbian, have a deformity (blind (Mikey BB9), very small (Verne CBB6), psychological issues (Nikki and Shahbaz BB7), tourettes (Pete BB7)). Argumentative people would be nice as well.
- As much as I hate that housemates become automatic favourites just because of their disability or their gimmick, I don't think they should exclude people based on their sexual orientation. Just because someone is gay, lesbian or bisexual doesn't mean they aren't normal and down to earth.

A new behind the scenes team with original task ideas and fantastic twists.
- Agreed, the current producers have clearly ran out of good ideas

A vote to save should be used to keep the interesting HM's in and kick the bores out early (the exact opposite to BB9).
- I've supported a vote to save before, but I've changed my mind - it's been pointed out many times that this wouldn't work in two way votes, because to evict someone people would just vote to save the other.

No launch night twists (such as the BB8 all female house).
- I completely disagree - they need a launch night twist to get viewers gripped though. It does need to be good though, and one that will actually grip viewers - not gimmicks like the all female twist.

The designers are paid a lot to do the house so they should have to earn their money with wacky furniture, strange colours and well proportioned rooms.
- They do that already?

One bedroom which is fairly small and cramped. It should only just be able to fit 10 beds in it. The beds should be hard and uncomfortable, very low to the floor and thinner in width than a single bed (a single bed is 3 feet wide (90ish cms)). The bedroom should be a sky blue-ish colour (almost an off-white).
- I disagree - they have nothing to gain from having one bedroom that is cramped. Of course it worked for the basic bedroom in BB9 - but only because it was mean to be the complete opposite of the luxury bedroom. There is no point in having small, hard, uncomfortable beds - they didn't exactly bother then BB9 housemates.

The bathroom coming off the bedroom should be a tiny room which just about fits a toilet and a sink in. This could also be in the same sky blue-ish colour as the bedroom.
- Again, there's nothing to gain from having a tiny bathroom.

The walls could be a mix of flicked paint colours (just like the purple BBCH living room wall, but in all different colours).
- I can't say I like the sound of this...

The dining area would consist of a table with 10 chairs and it would be made of marble. In fact, the whole kitchen and dining area will be made of marble.
- ...or this. I prefer the modern-looking kitchens from BB6 and BB7.

The diary room should be slightly hidden but still reasonably visible in the house. If you were to look at the wall in the bedroom, directly next to the bathroom door there could be a very faint outline of a door which blends in perfectly with the wall.
- I don't see the point in this - in fact, I much prefer big diary room doors that stand out.

The garden should be the smallest ever. The outside area should be big enough for sunbathing and swimming in the pool (10m long and 5m wide) but not large enough to have much privacy. A tiny barbeque area next to the sunbathing beds will be available at any time.
- Absolutely not. The garden need to be bigger, not smaller, and certainly no smaller than it was for BB9. One of the things that I hated about the BB8 garden was that it was too small. I'd love a BB6 sized-garden, or BB7.

The flooring should be laminated the whole way through the house (like the BBCH living room floor).
- That sounds a bit boring. Each room needs its own style.

I would like to scrap Big Mouth in favour of a more exciting Little Brother.
- I wouldn't scrap Big Mouth, but both shows need complete revamps.

Jack Whitehall should become presenter of BBLB and George Lamb should leave.
- Jack Whitehall is a comedian, so his presenting style better suits Big Mouth - it wouldn't work pre-watershed.

Daily HL shows should start at exactly 9pm and finish at near enough 10pm.
- I agree somewhat - they definitely need a fixed timeslot.

Brad*
25-01-2009, 11:55 AM

The last series lasted well after the 9th week and it was entertaining all the way through. What makes you think they can't do it again?

No offence, but I think that you are too easily impressed by the garbage that C4 have given us in the form of BB lately. It didn't particularly last after Bex was voted out in Week 8 and the last 5 weeks was like watching paint dry. Kat, Rachel, Mo, Darnell, Sara and Rex isn't exactly superb entertainment.

Lewis.
25-01-2009, 12:08 PM
Wow, That must have taken you ages to write Draky! Well done! It seems like a really good idea, all of them!

You should give your ideas to Big Brother

*mazedsalv**
25-01-2009, 12:13 PM

But 14 is too many if you only want 4 or 5 on finale night without double evictions because it is predictable that BB will go overboard again on the amount of HM's they add throughout the series.

No its not, if you have 14 and have 10 weeks with NO double evictions it will leave 4 for the finale.

14-10= 4

Wildcat!
25-01-2009, 12:25 PM
The complete guide for me, is just the housemates

I want:

Michelle, Kitten, Jason, Victor, Makosi, Science, Maxwell, Craig, Aisleyne, Glyn, Grace, Richard, Chanelle, Charley, Sam and Amanda, Darnell, Rachel, Luke, Mo, Sara

Thats my perfect house.:tongue:
Very dynamic.

Sam!
25-01-2009, 12:26 PM
It would actually leave five maz, unless theres an eviction in the final week.

10 housemates is wayy too less, and a really cramped small house has been done before. The size of the BB6 house was nice.

dupin
25-01-2009, 12:28 PM
I hate most of the ideas, it's something like that that would kill of Big Brother for good...

Brekkie
25-01-2009, 12:34 PM
I disagree with alot of your views on the general series darky - it's basically very dull and of the outdated view that going back to basics will save everything. We're beyond that now and a full scale relaunch is the only way forward where even the most basic principles of Big Brother are scrapped. There's quite a bit I agree on too though.

(I intended for this to be brief - it's not, sorry!)

10 HMs isn't practical, but it should be cut down to the bare minimum - probably 13, with no more than 3 late comers (a maximum of 18 HMs to allow for a couple of quitters.) I agree though there should be nobody who stands out for the wrong reasons as the obvious winner.

Nine weeks is too short though, but cutting to around 11 weeks might be the right compromise. Crucially though the show needs to come to a natural conclusion, so that means not having 7 HMs left with less than a week to go. At absolute most their should be 5 in the final week. I'm happy enough with 5 in the final (but they need an extra half-hour), but ideally it should be cut to 3 or 4.

A given, but you then contradict yourself saying you don't want many twists. A launch night twist is more crucial than ever this time to win viewers back, but ideally any twists for BB10 should be changes to the core format (so a new nominations format, a new weekly challenge etc.) rather than unconnected random twists during the series. Any further twists should be relatively simple.

Head of House was successful in BB9 and CBB6 really suffered from them dropping it. It made the first week, and then they dropped it without a trace. I've made no secret of the fact I believe a switch to a full scale HoH format is the best way forward for BB10, with weekly HoH's (decided by competitions), and the HoH choosing one nominees, with the others voting for the second. It's a format which has worked brilliantly for Brazil, so it could work for us too.

Vote to Save - no, no, no. It just doesn't work and doesn't save the "entertaining" HMs - Big Brother is all about kicking people out, and often the show benefits from losing dominant characters (Coolio dominating the show is one reason CBB6 flopped). And you need interesting characters kicked out along the way to make people care about and watch the evictions. I hated the fact the people voted out the likes of Luke and Rebecca over Mo and co. last year, but it meant the most entertaining eviction interviews in years.

The House ultimately doesn't really matter (and neither do the HMs actually) if the format is right. However, it needs to look and feel different to anything we've seen before, so open plan and rather trendy and modern is the way to go - not small, claustrophobic and hideous.

And I disagree that Heaven and Hell didn't work, and if they don't go the HoH route I'd rather they took Heaven and Hell to the extremes and really built a contrasting house with a very luxurious rich side and an incredibly basic poor side. Crucially though it has to be done from the start right through until there aren't enough HMs remaining (so around 6 or so) for it to work - not just for a couple of weeks in the middle. If BB9 had started by splitting them into Heaven and Hell and revealing the HoH twist it would have got off to a much better start than the stupid Mario/Lisa thing provided.

The Shows
Firstly, they have to have ads - keep it realistic. George and Jack should stay, and they do need fine tuning, but it's the main show that's the priority so not too much attention should be made on improving them. If the main show improves, the spin offs will too.

I agree with the 9-10.30pm eviction show scheduling, but the interviews need to be cut short, not made longer. The ratings this year show people just aren't too interested in what the evictees have to say (after all, we've heard it over 200 times before).

Friends and family features must return too, along with chatting with both the crowd and people on the street about their opinions and profiling the nominees. Back in BB1-BB4 these features made the eviction shows, and actually took up just a couple of minutes each - no more than 6-8 over all. If they can cut highlights in the final down to 10 minutes, they can afford to lose 5-10 minutes on a weekly basis.

(NOTE: If we did do HoH or even Rich/Poor again I wouldn't mind an hour-long eviction show - complete with eviction and interview at 9pm, and then a second show at 10.30pm or even 11pm for a live HoH challenge)

Highlights - 9pm is for wimps who still have a bed time, and it's since they tried to make the show "mainstream" the problems began. Big Brother worked best at 10pm and should establish itself back in that slot again, cut down to 50 minutes.

A tighter edited show would make for a better show, and sorry, but Marcus Bentley has to go. His voiceovers have become a joke and are now ruining the shows. The Saturday show would be scrapped and a 90-minute weekend round up would air on Sundays at 9pm.

I'd also bring back the psychs, either as a brief feature in the eviction show (for example, last week when the four girls were nominated they'd have looked at the battle of the sexes in the house), or as brief inserts a couple of times a week in the highlights (e.g. when LaToya and Tina discussed Ben and Michelle, the psychs would have looked at the evidence - it's basically flashbacks, but with a bit of psycho babble to justify it). In addition they'd be a "Previously..." segment at the beginning of each show and a "Tomorrow..." preview at the end.

Advertising is the biggest issue and the existing format needs scrapping completely - so that means no eye flashes, no house ads, no countdown. They go for something completely new which (without actually revealing anything), gives people a reason to watch BB, not just the time it's on. They also need to follow the lead of Skins too with some nifty viral marketing too.

Brad*
25-01-2009, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Matt
Here are my opinions on some of your points.

Sorry if I've brought up points that have already been brought up - quite a few replies have been made to this thread whilst I was writing mine.

I would like 10 normal, down-to-earth people (5 men and 5 women) who are not related, gay, bisexual, lesbian, have a deformity (blind (Mikey BB9), very small (Verne CBB6), psychological issues (Nikki and Shahbaz BB7), tourettes (Pete BB7)). Argumentative people would be nice as well.
- As much as I hate that housemates become automatic favourites just because of their disability or their gimmick, I don't think we should exclude people based on their sexual orientation. Just because someone is gay, lesbian or bisexual doesn't mean they aren't normal and down to earth.

- Agreed, the current producers have clearly ran out of good ideas

A vote to save should be used to keep the interesting HM's in and kick the bores out early (the exact opposite to BB9).
- I've supported a vote to save before, but I've changed my mind - it's been pointed out many times that this wouldn't work in two way votes, because to evict someone people would just vote to save the other.

No launch night twists (such as the BB8 all female house).
- I completely disagree - they need a launch night twist to get viewers gripped though. It does need to be good though, and one that will actually grip viewers - not gimmicks like the all female twist.

The designers are paid a lot to do the house so they should have to earn their money with wacky furniture, strange colours and well proportioned rooms.
- They do that already?

One bedroom which is fairly small and cramped. It should only just be able to fit 10 beds in it. The beds should be hard and uncomfortable, very low to the floor and thinner in width than a single bed (a single bed is 3 feet wide (90ish cms)). The bedroom should be a sky blue-ish colour (almost an off-white).
- I disagree - they have nothing to gain from having one bedroom that is cramped. Of course it worked for the basic bedroom in BB9 - but only because that was the complete opposite of the luxury bedroom. There is no point in having small, hard, uncomfortable beds - they didn't exactly bother then BB9 housemates.

The bathroom coming off the bedroom should be a tiny room which just about fits a toilet and a sink in. This could also be in the same sky blue-ish colour as the bedroom.
- Again, there's nothing to gain from having a tiny bathroom.

The walls could be a mix of flicked paint colours (just like the purple BBCH living room wall, but in all different colours).
- I can't say I like the sound of this...

The dining area would consist of a table with 10 chairs and it would be made of marble. In fact, the whole kitchen and dining area will be made of marble.
- ...or this. I prefer the modern-looking kitchens from BB6 and BB7.

The diary room should be slightly hidden but still reasonably visible in the house. If you were to look at the wall in the bedroom, directly next to the bathroom door there could be a very faint outline of a door which blends in perfectly with the wall.
- I don't see the point in this - in fact, I much prefer big diary room doors that stand out.

The garden should be the smallest ever. The outside area should be big enough for sunbathing and swimming in the pool (10m long and 5m wide) but not large enough to have much privacy. A tiny barbeque area next to the sunbathing beds will be available at any time.
- Absolutely not. The garden need to be bigger, not smaller, and certainly no smaller than it was for BB9. One of the things that I hated about the BB8 garden was that it was too small. I'd love a BB6 sized-garden, or BB7.

The flooring should be laminated the whole way through the house (like the BBCH living room floor).
- That sounds a bit boring. Each room needs its own style.

I would like to scrap Big Mouth in favour of a more exciting Little Brother.
- I wouldn't scrap Big Mouth, but both shows need complete revamps.

Jack Whitehall should become presenter of BBLB and George Lamb should leave.
- Jack Whitehall is a comedian, so his presenting style better suits Big Mouth - it wouldn't work pre-watershed.

Daily HL shows should start at exactly 9pm and finish at near enough 10pm.
- I agree somewhat - they definitely need a fixed timeslot.

Okay, thanks for replying in such great detail Matt.

I think that the gay, lesbian and bisexual people have been included in every series (or certainly every summer series) and I don't have a problem with those people but I am just bored of them being in the house. I say this because I think the vast majority of our country is straight people and it misrepresents our people if we have 2 or 3 'different' people who are gay, lesbian or bisexual.

You mentioned the fact that a vote to save wouldn't work with 2 people, well, why not make the evictions 3-way or more?

Maybe a launch night twist, but for me it would absolutely have to affect the entire series.

Well, I said about the bedroom and bathroom being cramped and uncomfortable, but that is the way I would like to see it as it is my own personal choice. The same goes for the house decor.

The garden in BB9 was massive (I think it was the biggest ever), so I think a BB8 sized garden would do fine. I would like it to be small because I would like the HM's to have only a small amount of privacy, even in the garden.

Brad*
25-01-2009, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Lewiis.Xx
Wow, That must have taken you ages to write Draky! Well done! It seems like a really good idea, all of them!

Thanks Lewiis, that took me an hour and a half!

Brad*
25-01-2009, 12:50 PM

No its not, if you have 14 and have 10 weeks with NO double evictions it will leave 4 for the finale.

14-10= 4

I think that 14 could well work for the whole series (including additional HM's entering in the first few weeks) but 14 for launch and then 2 or 3 later additions would just be too many for me.

Brad*
25-01-2009, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by dupin
I hate most of the ideas, it's something like that that would kill of Big Brother for good...

Care to elaborate...

Lewis.
25-01-2009, 01:08 PM

imagine if you pressed send and Tibb went down.. I think i would be extremely angry

Brad*
25-01-2009, 01:11 PM

imagine if you pressed send and Tibb went down.. I think i would be extremely angry

When I actually clicked send (pushing the enter button) I thought I had also clicked the backspace button and I was about to get absolutely CRAZY!:laugh:

Tom
25-01-2009, 01:16 PM
I really don't think vote to save would work. The public like to vote people out not keep them in, and in CBB3 it didn't make a difference. Also sometimes when big characters a lost, new big characters emerge. A vote to save would have kept Mario in in a 3 way eviction. Lisa was very much in her shell until he left.

Princess
25-01-2009, 01:21 PM
I argee with most of it except scraping Diary Room Uncut and getting rid of George Lamb. Definitely less boring people and less annoying argumentaive people. As long as I get a couple I'll be happy.

Brad*
25-01-2009, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Brekkie
I disagree with alot of your views on the general series darky - it's basically very dull and of the outdated view that going back to basics will save everything. We're beyond that now and a full scale relaunch is the only way forward where even the most basic principles of Big Brother are scrapped. There's quite a bit I agree on too though.

(I intended for this to be brief - it's not, sorry!)

10 HMs isn't practical, but it should be cut down to the bare minimum - probably 13, with no more than 3 late comers (a maximum of 18 HMs to allow for a couple of quitters.) I agree though there should be nobody who stands out for the wrong reasons as the obvious winner.

Nine weeks is too short though, but cutting to around 11 weeks might be the right compromise. Crucially though the show needs to come to a natural conclusion, so that means not having 7 HMs left with less than a week to go. At absolute most their should be 5 in the final week. I'm happy enough with 5 in the final (but they need an extra half-hour), but ideally it should be cut to 3 or 4.

A given, but you then contradict yourself saying you don't want many twists. A launch night twist is more crucial than ever this time to win viewers back, but ideally any twists for BB10 should be changes to the core format (so a new nominations format, a new weekly challenge etc.) rather than unconnected random twists during the series. Any further twists should be relatively simple.

Head of House was successful in BB9 and CBB6 really suffered from them dropping it. It made the first week, and then they dropped it without a trace. I've made no secret of the fact I believe a switch to a full scale HoH format is the best way forward for BB10, with weekly HoH's (decided by competitions), and the HoH choosing one nominees, with the others voting for the second. It's a format which has worked brilliantly for Brazil, so it could work for us too.

Vote to Save - no, no, no. It just doesn't work and doesn't save the "entertaining" HMs - Big Brother is all about kicking people out, and often the show benefits from losing dominant characters (Coolio dominating the show is one reason CBB6 flopped). And you need interesting characters kicked out along the way to make people care about and watch the evictions. I hated the fact the people voted out the likes of Luke and Rebecca over Mo and co. last year, but it meant the most entertaining eviction interviews in years.

The House ultimately doesn't really matter (and neither do the HMs actually) if the format is right. However, it needs to look and feel different to anything we've seen before, so open plan and rather trendy and modern is the way to go - not small, claustrophobic and hideous.

And I disagree that Heaven and Hell didn't work, and if they don't go the HoH route I'd rather they took Heaven and Hell to the extremes and really built a contrasting house with a very luxurious rich side and an incredibly basic poor side. Crucially though it has to be done from the start right through until there aren't enough HMs remaining (so around 6 or so) for it to work - not just for a couple of weeks in the middle. If BB9 had started by splitting them into Heaven and Hell and revealing the HoH twist it would have got off to a much better start than the stupid Mario/Lisa thing provided.

The Shows
Firstly, they have to have ads - keep it realistic. George and Jack should stay, and they do need fine tuning, but it's the main show that's the priority so not too much attention should be made on improving them. If the main show improves, the spin offs will too.

I agree with the 9-10.30pm eviction show scheduling, but the interviews need to be cut short, not made longer. The ratings this year show people just aren't too interested in what the evictees have to say (after all, we've heard it over 200 times before).

Friends and family features must return too, along with chatting with both the crowd and people on the street about their opinions and profiling the nominees. Back in BB1-BB4 these features made the eviction shows, and actually took up just a couple of minutes each - no more than 6-8 over all. If they can cut highlights in the final down to 10 minutes, they can afford to lose 5-10 minutes on a weekly basis.

(NOTE: If we did do HoH or even Rich/Poor again I wouldn't mind an hour-long eviction show - complete with eviction and interview at 9pm, and then a second show at 10.30pm or even 11pm for a live HoH challenge)

Highlights - 9pm is for wimps who still have a bed time, and it's since they tried to make the show "mainstream" the problems began. Big Brother worked best at 10pm and should establish itself back in that slot again, cut down to 50 minutes.

A tighter edited show would make for a better show, and sorry, but Marcus Bentley has to go. His voiceovers have become a joke and are now ruining the shows. The Saturday show would be scrapped and a 90-minute weekend round up would air on Sundays at 9pm.

I'd also bring back the psychs, either as a brief feature in the eviction show (for example, last week when the four girls were nominated they'd have looked at the battle of the sexes in the house), or as brief inserts a couple of times a week in the highlights (e.g. when LaToya and Tina discussed Ben and Michelle, the psychs would have looked at the evidence - it's basically flashbacks, but with a bit of psycho babble to justify it). In addition they'd be a "Previously..." segment at the beginning of each show and a "Tomorrow..." preview at the end.

Advertising is the biggest issue and the existing format needs scrapping completely - so that means no eye flashes, no house ads, no countdown. They go for something completely new which (without actually revealing anything), gives people a reason to watch BB, not just the time it's on. They also need to follow the lead of Skins too with some nifty viral marketing too.

Phew, that was a lot to read! However, it is good of you to reply Brekkie.

For me, 13 HM's is more than the bare minimum, 11 or 12 is enough for me to handle. I think that 3 latecomers is too many and you have covered the almost inevitable situation of a HM walking. 18 HM's in an 11 week series? Too many. You also talked about having a natural end to the series and having 4 or 5 HM's in the final week. If this was the case then you would need a double eviction or two.

I don't really feel that I contradict myself regarding the twists thing because I still think that they need new producers who will think up good tasks and twists. I say good twists but I only mean a few really big twists throughout the 9-11 week period. Yes, a launch night twist is acceptable but it would have to affect the whole series IMO, as I mentioned in my reply to Matt.

I just generally don't like the idea of HoH but I can understand how it could work well. Although, just because something has worked in Brazil doesn't mean that it will here.

I completely disagree with you that vote to save isn't the way forwards. You say that Bex, Mo and others from BB9 were evicted early and that they were 'entertaining' evictions, well no, they weren't. We want 'entertaining' HL shows not really entertaining people getting booted out. I do hate Coolio with a passion but he was the one that kept CBB6 watchable for some people (not me).

Regarding the house, I would quite like to see the BB Italy house which is noticed in a thread called Grande Fratello made by *mazedsalv**, in this thread you actually posted pics of the house. Look about halfway down the first page, here's the link:

http://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=106711

No, Heaven and Hell was epicly **** in BB9 so why do it again?

The Saturday Night Live style tasks won't work, that's why it was scrapped after BB5.

A more tightly edited show is pointless, why cut it down to 50 minutes, that just makes it awkward for C4 to fit in other programmes around it. I do agree though that Marcus Bentley should go.

Yes, the advertising does need to change massively and I really hope it does because it has been the same since BB6.

Lewis.
25-01-2009, 01:29 PM

When I actually clicked send (pushing the enter button) I thought I had also clicked the backspace button and I was about to get absolutely CRAZY!:laugh:

Haha. I always copy my text when i write a long post.. JIC

Matt
25-01-2009, 01:32 PM

The garden in BB9 was massive (I think it was the biggest ever), so I think a BB8 sized garden would do fine. I would like it to be small because I would like the HM's to have only a small amount of privacy, even in the garden.

I suppose it's down to personal choice, but many people on here think the BB8 garden was far too small. The housemates need more to do - so a bigger garden is a must, as is a gym and sauna (even if they're only available as rewards or at certain times).

The BB9 garden was nowhere near the biggest garden ever - here's a quick diagram to show how small the BB9 garden was in comparison to BB6 (it's not 100% accurate, I did it in roughly five minutes, but it gives you an idea):

http://assets.bbspy.co.uk/tibb/bb6_bb9_garden.jpg

Sam!
25-01-2009, 01:42 PM
I liked the BB7 garden, it was nice and round.

Tom
25-01-2009, 01:44 PM

I suppose it's down to personal choice, but many people on here think the BB8 garden was far too small. The housemates need more to do - so a bigger garden is a must, as is a gym and sauna (even if they're only available as rewards or at certain times).

The BB9 garden was nowhere near the biggest garden ever - here's a quick diagram to show how small the BB9 garden was in comparison to BB6 (it's not 100% accurate, I did it in roughly five minutes, but it gives you an idea):

http://assets.bbspy.co.uk/tibb/bb6_bb9_garden.jpg

The BB3 garden was the biggest, it used up all the available outdoor space. You can see it if you look at the back of the house

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1960000/images/_1964394_house_pa.jpg

It also had loads of stuff in it rather than now we just have some fake grass, some chairs and a pool

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1960000/images/_1964394_poll_pa.jpg

Matt
25-01-2009, 01:54 PM
Yeah, I know BB3 was the biggest - I only did the comparison to BB6 because it had the biggest garden of all the series I had seen.

How I hope we get an even bigger garden for BB10 :spin2:

Tom
25-01-2009, 01:56 PM
Yeah, I know BB3 was the biggest - I only did the comparison to BB6 because it had the biggest garden of all the series I had seen.

You've not seen anything until you've seen BB3 :tongue:

A few of us are planning to rewatch it starting Friday, you should do it as well :spin2:

Matt08
25-01-2009, 01:58 PM
The Big Brother 3 house and garden was immense. I'd like to see the something that big again, it works really well.

*mazedsalv**
25-01-2009, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Tom

A few of us are planning to rewatch it starting Friday, you should do it as well :spin2:

Where is it available?? Youtube??
Its my fave series, with BB5 my 2nd and BB9/BB7 my 3rd fave. I was only 10 when BB3 was on too :bigsmile:

Tom
25-01-2009, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Tom

Yeah. If you want to discuss it whilst watching it with everyone (1 highlights show a day, 64 days, each show is only about 20/25 mins long) then be in the BB3 forum on Friday :tongue:

*mazedsalv**
25-01-2009, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Tom
Originally posted by Tom

Yeah. If you want to discuss it whilst watching it with everyone (1 highlights show a day, 64 days, each show is only about 20/25 mins long) then be in the BB3 forum on Friday :tongue:

When are we going to start and we will post in the BB3 section yeah?

edit- Oh its Friday lol

Matt
25-01-2009, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Tom

I've already begun watching BB5 with a friend, so I think I'll pass :laugh: