PDA

View Full Version : BB10 to be the final series of Big Brother?

JohnnyBB
01-02-2009, 10:25 PM
This summer’s series of Big Brother may be the final one, according to a show insider.

The Channel 4 reality show has been on television since 2000, however bosses may announce soon that the forthcoming series will be the last one.

A show insider told Star Magazine: “Shortly after the Celebrity version of the show, key members of staff were told it was ‘highly unlikely’ to return.

“Everyone was disappointed but most people realise it has run its course.

“This year may be the final chance for many people to step inside the house, earn their 15 minutes of fame and cash in on the show’s popularity.

“There’s still a tiny hope it will return but it’s 99% certain it will be 10 and out for the show.”

The show has seen a huge drop in viewers in the last two years after the racism scandal which surrounded Celebrity Big Brother in 2007. The most recent series last month slumped to an all-time low of just 3 million viewers, a far cry from the 5.8 million who watched in 2002.

The programme has also seen a big fall in the number of viewers aged between 16 to 34. The insider added: “It’s not the social experiment it once was and has lost its appeal for a lot of young people.”

amby
01-02-2009, 10:34 PM
cos the star is always right lol

James
01-02-2009, 10:36 PM
Last series of the celeb version maybe, not the main show.

amby
01-02-2009, 10:38 PM
I thought it was contracted 'til BB11?

Matt
01-02-2009, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by amby

It is indeed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6196654.stm

amby
01-02-2009, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Matt

It is indeed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6196654.stm

would they break that though?

I really hope it goes 'til BB11!!

James
01-02-2009, 10:57 PM
Have made a subtle edit to the thread title considering the source for this story is the Daily Star. :wink:

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/bigbrother/view/68082/End-of-line-for-BB/

Billy
01-02-2009, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by James
Have made a subtle edit to the thread title considering the source for this story is the Daily Star. :wink:

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/bigbrother/view/68082/End-of-line-for-BB/

It's not just on the star though.

Matt
01-02-2009, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Billy

It's not just on the star though.

No - but the other sites its on are the websites of OK!, Star magazine and New magazine, which are all sister publications of the Daily Star (they're all owned by Northern and Shell Media Publications).

All four sites use exactly the same story and pictures too.

Spike
02-02-2009, 07:25 AM
No decision on BB can be made until the end of BB10, maybe if ratings go really low both C4 and Endemol will agree to axe or suspend the show
but I do think BB11 will be the last series

Brekkie
02-02-2009, 11:34 AM
For once I believe the Daily Star. My gut feeling is they'll just let it fizzle out this summer rather than give it one last chance.

Tom
02-02-2009, 04:56 PM
Channel 4 have 2 options:

1) Air BB10-BB11 and gain enough profit to get by then axe the show
2) Buy their way out of a contract and make losses for BB coverage and the contract

Lets throw into the equation Channel 4's current financial state

I think we all know what they're going to do, usual Daily Star BS :whistle:

Brekkie
02-02-2009, 07:37 PM
None of know the terms of the contract though - and you can guarantee the contract will have some form of get out clause for C4 (and probably for Endemol too). For all we know the contract through to BB11 could include a clause allowing them to drop if after BB10 without penalty.

Tom
02-02-2009, 07:42 PM
But realistically, in Channel 4's current financial state, are they really going to drop Big Brother, given the amount of air time and what they paid for it?

But even if it is dropped, I think it will be picked up by Sky but they'll probably do one series as we know it then Americanise it the next year

amby
02-02-2009, 08:17 PM
I thought that itv wanted it a few years ago?

*mazedsalv**
02-02-2009, 08:18 PM

I hope they still do, if they advertise it properly it could do well.

amby
02-02-2009, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by *mazedsalv**

If itv do take it I'd say the ratings would sore!!

Tom
02-02-2009, 09:12 PM

Not sure I'd want it to go to ITV because when it goes through a bad patch then they'd axe it

Brekkie
02-02-2009, 09:22 PM

A few years ago when despite the criticism, ratings were healthy and the programme was generally considered to be amongst the best at what it did - neither of which are the case anymore.

Tom
02-02-2009, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Brekkie

A few years ago when despite the criticism, ratings were healthy and the programme was generally considered to be amongst the best at what it did - neither of which are the case anymore.

So a series that wins its slot frequently and gets between 3-4m viewers each night isn't healthy?

But no obviously you're basing the whole future of BB on a 3 week long CBB series that has a different audience to BB itself and there are different viewing habits in winter than summer.

Lets be more realistic and have a look at how it performs in the summer.

amby
02-02-2009, 09:48 PM
Even if Channel 4 do axe BB they will come up with something similar to take its place.

*mazedsalv**
02-02-2009, 09:49 PM
I have a feeling Sky will have BB.... anyway I doubt C4 would want to give up on the contract, they are supposed to be going until BB11.

Billy
02-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Tom

So a series that wins its slot frequently and gets between 3-4m viewers each night isn't healthy?

But no obviously you're basing the whole future of BB on a 3 week long CBB series that has a different audience to BB itself and there are different viewing habits in winter than summer.

CBB normally gets better ratings than the summer series, so what is BB10s gonna be like eek.

SammyAyee
03-02-2009, 09:45 AM
i hope it does stay until bb11.
i hope if anything gets axed then it's the celeb one after this series :sleep:.

Tom
03-02-2009, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Billy
Originally posted by Tom

CBB normally gets better ratings than the summer series, so what is BB10s going to be like eek.

Different audience + different season = Different ratings

Its not rocket science and of course its going to do that well this summer. But like every summer (even with BB9) it will probably still frequently win its slot. The first week of CBB6 was better than the first week of BB9 but CBB6 didn't win its slot, BB9 did. I don't think its fair to write it off after one 3 week long series in a different season.

Nutters22000
03-02-2009, 05:02 PM
I would miss the show if it finished for good:bawling:

arista
03-02-2009, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Nutters22000
I would miss the show if it finished for good:bawling:

It is too early to say if it is going to be the last.

If they do enough Big Twists
it can all turn around.

jaybitches
03-02-2009, 05:19 PM
OMG big brother is not dead!!!
Just tired, needs a few years sleep :) an then get its energy back an come back with a bang lol thats the way i see it

Fat.Rat
03-02-2009, 05:34 PM
face it guys bb is over!!:bored::bored:

noahman
04-02-2009, 04:58 PM
NO it cant end what else am i going to watch

Gill73
06-02-2009, 10:46 PM
I doubt it'll be axed, wouldn't mind if cbb was though, bores me nowadays. Please no to itv getting it!

Sod_James
08-02-2009, 12:38 PM
I hope its not but i wouldnt be suprised if the upcoming series will be the last for a few years if not for good.

Fom
08-02-2009, 12:55 PM
I have a feeling Sky will have BB.... anyway I doubt C4 would want to give up on the contract, they are supposed to be going until BB11.

If BB went on to digital, it would deffo be axed. Thats why Hi Jack did so bad!

Lewis.
08-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Fom

If BB went on to digital, it would deffo be axed. Thats why Hi Jack did so bad!

Totally agreed. I didn't watch Hijack because i only had freeview at the time. I would have loved to have watched it though

Matt
08-02-2009, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Lewiis.Xx

Totally agreed. I didn't watch Hijack because i only had freeview at the time. I would have loved to have watched it though

E4 is on Freeview? It has been since 2005?

Originally posted by Fom

Thats why Hi Jack did so bad!

The thing is, Hijack didn't do badly. You can't compare a series that was on E4 only to any of the other series, because E4 is a digital channel and therefore it doesn't get the amount of viewers that Channel 4 does.

By E4's standards, it did rather well.

However, I do agree, I would hate to see it move permanently to a digital channel.

Fom
08-02-2009, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by Fom

The thing is, Hijack didn't do badly. You can't compare a series that was on E4 only to any of the other series, because E4 is a digital channel and therefore it doesn't get the amount of viewers that Channel 4 does.

However, I do agree, I would hate to see it move permanently to a digital channel.

Yes but thats my point, these kind of shows dont do well on digital, because they need lots of viewers. It gets more viewers on Ch4 or ITV so I cant see it moving to sky... it would kill the show.

Lewis.
08-02-2009, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by Fom

I didn't have it on the freeview package.

Matt
08-02-2009, 01:31 PM

I didn't have it on the freeview package.

Hmm, it must have been a problem with your box and/or signal then - E4 should be available to everyone that has Freeview. :conf2:

Originally posted by Fom

Yes but thats my point, these kind of shows dont do well on digital, because they need lots of viewers. It gets more viewers on Ch4 or ITV so I cant see it moving to sky... it would kill the show.

It's a good point, and I agree that it wouldn't do that well if it moved permanently to a digital channel, but I hate it when people/the tabloids put down Hijack because of its' ratings. A more accurate indication of how successful Hijack was would be in the amounts of votes cast over the series - but of course, we don't know those.

*mazedsalv**
08-02-2009, 01:49 PM
BBCH did well.... the launch got about 900,000 and the final got 720,000. The Russel Brand HL show hit 1m i think... and for E4 thats fantastic.