PDA

View Full Version : What should I do with my life.

SiaSiaSia
25-02-2009, 09:01 PM
ARGHHHGHHAHGH

If you were thinking about applying to Oxford or Cambridge you had to put in an application at my college, which 75% of people did. After a lot of talking about it (my GCSE results were quite bad compared to who goes there) I decided to put in a thingy, but then I had to decide what to dooo :(

I put Philosophy and French at Oxford University, and when I told my philosophy teacher (Ex-theology student at Oxford) about my GCSE grade predicament, my teacher said i was indeed "borderline" and would have to get 90%+ to stand out, plus a definite A in critical thinking. He also recommended me to apply for Philosophy and Theology, instead, as that's like easier to get into because most language oxbridge students are AMAZING.

This seemed a bit intense for me, and I don't really like Theology (study of god/bible). Do you reckon I should keep with French and Philosophy? I might enjoy Theology but I'm not sure. I'd always liked languages.

And I'm not even definite that I want to do French and Phil. I was considering French ab initio Spanish or maybe Law. Or even something like Literature like. I wish I knew what to do :( HELP?!!?

And, is all this Oxbridge buisness worth it, really? When I know I definitely won't get in? My careers teacher said it was because it was only 1 option on my UCAS form, but urghh all this effort could be completley in vain.

Sorry for this long post, I've just been really stressed about what I want to do and have to start revising for my ASs soon because I am convinced I will fail.

My backup universities include: Royal Holloway [University of London], University College London, Nottingham, Exeter, etc. But my teacher also said UCL are harsher than oxbridge on some degrees in terms of GCSEs. I'm so pissed off, I really should have revised :(. But nothing I can do now!

I would have posted this on TheStudentRoom for obvious reasons but it's not working atm :S

HELP ME TIBBERS :(

FORGOT TO MENTION: I will be deferring my entry for every uni apart from Oxford [if I apply...] to gap it

EDIT: Ohh I forgot to include my subjects/grades:
GCSEs: 8As 3Bs :( :S
A-level predictions: A*AABb

Ross
25-02-2009, 09:03 PM
Stick with what your good at. That's the best advice I can give you; the rest is down to you.

SiaSiaSia
25-02-2009, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Ross
Stick with what your good at. That's the best advice I can give you; the rest is down to you.

I wish people could decide for me :P

Ashleee:)
25-02-2009, 09:07 PM
I'm nearly 21 and i'm still unsure of what career i want to do. You're still young, don't rush into anything otherwise you could be half way through a course and end up quitting. There's too much pressure these days to decided what to do straight after school. My teachers used to get annoyed that i didnt know what i wanted to do like everyone else. I say ******* them.

Do you really wanna commit to something at this age when you'll be working till you're like 60?! I don't :nono:

:bouncy:

SiaSiaSia
25-02-2009, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Ashleee:)
I'm nearly 21 and i'm still unsure of what career i want to do. You're still young, don't rush into anything otherwise you could be half way through a course and end up quitting. There's too much pressure these days to decided what to do straight after school. My teachers sued to get annoyed that i didnt know what i wanted to do like everyone else. I say ******* them.

Do you really want to commit to somehting at this age when you'll be working till you're like 60?! I don't :nono:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking! That's why I was going to do a broad degree of one subject [or combined, because oxford doesn't offer straight philosophy and I don't like cambridge] cos then i can do anythinnng
did you go to university?

andyman
25-02-2009, 09:09 PM
Natural duty.... Have kids, be a good mum and worship your man.

.. You dont need Oxford and all that, just leave that stuff to the men.

SiaSiaSia
25-02-2009, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by andyman

:| I hope you're joking!

Oh I just decided I quite like politics

MarkWaldorf
25-02-2009, 09:11 PM

Last time time I checked this wasn't 1912. :shocked:
Some people actually want a future these days~

25-02-2009, 09:12 PM
I applied for a job straight out of school cos my parent were pressuring me to as i didn't know what i wanted to do at uni. With this job i went to college, as i had to! I've been doing this for nearly three years and i'm qualified in it but i hate it and i'm currently trying to decided what to do with my life! But there's loads of stuff i want to do, like maybe go travelling and stuff. I dont want to wait years before i do that and i don't want to take a break and do it half way through a degree, as i think i'd probs not want to go back to uni!
:conf2:

Benjamin
25-02-2009, 09:15 PM
I couldn't decide what I wanted to do at uni after my A-levels so I took a year out to travel Europe and work out what I really wanted to do.

I came back and went to uni and had a good time and studied something that really interested me.

Damaris
25-02-2009, 09:16 PM
Ooooo god Sia.

Im not sure i can help.

All i know choices can be hard.

MarkWaldorf
25-02-2009, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by ukturtle
I couldn't decide what I wanted to do at uni after my A-levels so I took a year out to travel Europe and work out what I really wanted to do.

I came back and went to uni and had a good time and studied something that really interested me.

Yeah, my head of sixth form told me that's really effective in deciding what to do. Plus it can give you a lot of experience, which looks equally good in an interview with Universities.

-has a leaflet somewhere-

andyman
25-02-2009, 09:19 PM
I applied for a job straight out of school cos my parent were pressuring me to as i didn't know what i wanted to do at uni. With this job i went to college, as i had to! I've been doing this for nearly three years and i'm qualified in it but i hate it and i'm currently trying to decided what to do with my life! But there's loads of stuff i want to do, like maybe go travelling and stuff. I dont want to wait years before i do that and i don't want to take a break and do it half way through a degree, as i think i'd probs not want to go back to uni!
:conf2: Go take HGV lessons (get driving licence first if needed) then get your HGV licence and drive all over the uk.. Even europe! Do that for few years and save, money is ok.. Then move onto the next stage in your life.. Just dont eat too much cake!

andyman
25-02-2009, 09:21 PM
Join the Army! Sure they have a female army.....:bigsmile:

25-02-2009, 09:22 PM
:conf2: Go take HGV lessons (get driving licence first if needed) then get your HGV licence and drive all over the uk.. Even europe! Do that for few years and save, money is ok.. Then move onto the next stage in your life.. Just dont eat too much cake!

Go fry yer face.

SiaSiaSia
25-02-2009, 09:23 PM

yeah, I'm gapping it too :D I'm on a cooking course in France, but I'm not deferring Oxford if I apply, deferring the others though!
What did you do?

Iceman
25-02-2009, 09:24 PM
Well i went to college, got my degree, now im thinkin of travelling for a few years or just workin anywhere, this way i always have the degree to fall back on!

SiaSiaSia
25-02-2009, 09:25 PM

I don't agree with the army.

Ross

Go fry yer face.

Lmao!

andyman

Go fry yer face. Hubba hubba...

Princess
25-02-2009, 09:28 PM
I'm nearly 21 and i'm still unsure of what career i want to do. You're still young, don't rush into anything otherwise you could be half way through a course and end up quitting. There's too much pressure these days to decided what to do straight after school. My teachers used to get annoyed that i didnt know what i wanted to do like everyone else. I say ******* them.

Do you really want to commit to something at this age when you'll be working till you're like 60?! I don't :nono:

Completely argee with that. I'm studying general nursing and I really don't feel ready for it at all and I keep thinking I want to quit because I'm not 100% sure it's what I REALLY want to do. And it's definitely a course which requires 100% wantingtodefinitelydoitness *sighs* So yeah just be certain what you want to do! A broad course is good because you can figure out what you do while doing it. Good luck hun :hug:

andyman
25-02-2009, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by SiaSiaSia

I don't agree with the army. Why? :rolleyes:

Locke.
25-02-2009, 09:33 PM
I'm just going to mess around with college courses until I find one I enjoy.

I'm doing Media now, and it's crap, so I'm going to change it at the end of the year (I'm only sticking to it now so I can get £30 a week EMA). The best thing about it though is that I was 15 when I left school, and almost everyone else in my year was 16.

But yeah, you should just do whatever you enjoy most/are best at.

Ross
25-02-2009, 09:34 PM
Just get a full-time job, that way you know you're always going to get money.

Benjamin
25-02-2009, 09:36 PM

yeah, I'm gapping it too :D I'm on a cooking course in France, but I'm not deferring Oxford if I apply, deferring the others though!
What did you do?

I majored in English with Cultural Entrepreneurship as a minor.

SiaSiaSia
25-02-2009, 09:39 PM
Just get a full-time job, that way you know you're always going to get money.

Without a degree?!

SiaSiaSia
25-02-2009, 09:40 PM

What did you do?

Oh cool that sounds really interesting.
I wish I'd taken english a level, grr

Fom
25-02-2009, 09:57 PM
lol this makes me think of Avenue Q!

'What to do with a B.A in English?'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK6ksA0QyE4

Tom4784
25-02-2009, 10:08 PM
Just do what feels right, don't listen to anyone but yourself when it coems down to it. Trust your own judgement.

I'm finishing college in May, I haven't applied to Uni though since I don't think I'm going. What I'm going to do is get a part tiem job for a year, get some money saved up and pursue soem projects and then I might go to Uni afterwoods, I'm thinking about just going for some more courses elsewhere though since I don't think i'm uni material and I don't want a shop job to be my career.

Benjamin
25-02-2009, 10:12 PM

What did you do?

Oh cool that sounds really interesting.
I wish I'd taken english a level, grr

I didn't take English at Level.

I took Law, Psychology, Media, Business Studies, Sociology and I also took Maths at AS level (oh andt forced by the government to study General studies, the most pointless subject in the world).

Fom that vid makes me laugh so much. :laugh2:

GhettoSuperstar
25-02-2009, 11:15 PM
Make a career of selling drugs, its cash in hand and you can become ghetto. Who needs Oxford when you can use Oxfam. When you gain some life experience of being a rebel you can put it on yer CV, they will be so impressed. Now, what do you want to sell? Pills are a start.

Mark
26-02-2009, 02:06 AM
Oxford of course.

Maybe I'll buy you a drink. (I probably wont :lovedup:)

Mark

arista
26-02-2009, 06:16 AM
Yes
I am amazed anyone would say should I go to Oxford?
Millions would.

*mazedsalv**
26-02-2009, 06:26 AM
There is no way im going to uni... i have nothing that interests me that much to go to uni to learn more.. also money dont come easy :hugesmile:

NettoSuperstar!
26-02-2009, 06:50 AM
Do what you want to do, dont let anyone put you off! If you get there and find its not for you, you can do something else, your young....and if you dont get in, then theres plenty of other good places its not the end of the world!

Oh and get a degree, if your bright enough, do it. It opens up your options big time!

SiaSiaSia
26-02-2009, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by arista
Yes
I am amazed anyone would say should I go to Oxford?
Millions would.

should i apply not GO to

anyway i've decided against applying oxbridge! too much hassle. Uni of Southampton or University College London pleaaaase :P

ThisIsMarie
12-03-2009, 03:55 PM

Go fry yer face.

Lmao! Literally!

Z
12-03-2009, 04:56 PM
I don't really get the fuss about going to Oxbridge; I had the grades to apply there if I'd wanted to, but I don't see why people are so keen to jump through hoops (particularly when they're from Scotland) to move to a place in England where they have to pay fees (whilst in Scotland they don't), where they know nobody (and this is often true of most people moving to Uni in Cambridge/Oxford) and at the end of the day, they have the exact same degree as you'd get from anywhere else. It's just a name, you know? Glad to see you've decided against it Sia; you'd only put yourself through stress with a high chance of being disappointed (something like 20 people at my school applied and only 3 of them have been given offers - conditionals; despite all of them getting 5As last year, so they have to work their asses off again this year just to get into that course at those Unis, even though they have unconditionals to go to all the other Unis they applied to! Absolutely crazy!)