PDA

View Full Version : Have to post on a forum about reality TV so...

beanny
27-02-2009, 01:46 PM
...being a member on here helps!

Right its for my Media Studies A2 coursework.

My question is "Does the representation of women in UK reality TV shows since 2000 challenge gender stereotypes?"

My teacher wasnt clear about what I had to post on a forum for but there you are. Any help would be greatly useful! :hugesmile:

arista
27-02-2009, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by beanny
...being a member on here helps!

Right its for my Media Studies A2 coursework.

My question is "Does the representation of women in UK reality TV shows since 2000 challenge gender stereotypes?"

My teacher wasnt clear about what I had to post on a forum for but there you are. Any help would be greatly useful! :hugesmile:

No they got Worse
Binge Drinking Women.

ange7
27-02-2009, 02:08 PM
Question is has it changed based on the way woman on these shows have been portrayed/acted.
I'd say No... most viewers get that those who enter are not "normal" nor representative. Those that get in seem pretty hungry for fame and far removed form average women. These shows are more "freak show" than documentary so I doubt most people see the women who appear on them as typical "gender stereotypes".

beanny
02-04-2009, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by ange7
Question is has it changed based on the way woman on these shows have been portrayed/acted.
I'd say No... most viewers get that those who enter are not "normal" nor representative. Those that get in seem pretty hungry for fame and far removed form average women. These shows are more "freak show" than documentary so I doubt most people see the women who appear on them as typical "gender stereotypes".

Thanks for ya help :wink:

Any other help would be greatly appreciated as my deadline is tomorow. haha ive only just started writing up the essay!! :sad:

NettoSuperstar!
02-04-2009, 11:31 AM
I dunno though Ange, What about the young girls watching BB etc seeing Wags and the like...girls getting their kit off, tits out and becoming famous and rich out of it? I dont think they get that its not the average woman, it seems to be something a lot of young girls aspire to these days...or maybes Im gettin old

lily.
02-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Agreed Netto. I'm not influenced by these types, and I treat them like the side-shows they are. But, I'm a 30something and perfectly confident in who I am.

I do wonder how it affects the young, less confident girls, especially the uneducated ones. We only have to look at the number of young girls who respect Jade Goody to see how misguided some of them are.

arista
02-04-2009, 01:06 PM
No Netto you are not Old
you shop at young shops.

Binge Drinking Women
even Fight.
Attitude has changed for sure.

NettoSuperstar!
02-04-2009, 01:10 PM
Hahhaahaha thank you Arista...Is Netto a young shop? lol

pinkmichk
02-04-2009, 01:11 PM
i agree with netto you've only got to look at things like the lads mags after these programs end to show the new 'role models' young girls are aspiring to be like and follow in the footsteps of and many of the girls in recent years have only gone on to further career as a model that kinda thing sad world when the most a girl can aspire to become is a wag

NettoSuperstar!
02-04-2009, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by lili
Agreed Netto. I'm not influenced by these types, and I treat them like the side-shows they are. But, I'm a 30something and perfectly confident in who I am.

I do wonder how it affects the young, less confident girls, especially the uneducated ones. We only have to look at the number of young girls who respect Jade Goody to see how misguided some of them are.

What happened to wantin to be something in your own right not just a pair of tits and a nice face on the arm of a footballer eh!? I dunno...theyre not doin anything for young women these WAGS...Me Mam burnt her bra for nowt lol...(she dint really burn her bra but yer know whatta mean)

arista
02-04-2009, 01:38 PM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/04/01/article-0-04208486000005DC-699_233x489.jpg

60 year old mother Su Pollard
dresses like a Chav.

Life In The City.

NettoSuperstar!
02-04-2009, 01:38 PM
LoL

lily.
02-04-2009, 01:45 PM
And, that's not tights she's wearing :P

NettoSuperstar!
02-04-2009, 01:52 PM
My mate cant stand Su Pollard...how can you not like her? lol look at her...cant believe shes 60