PDA

View Full Version : Who's at the bottom of the celebrity barrel?

Amy
07-01-2005, 08:38 AM
The fanfare was drowned out by the sound of barrel-scraping as Channel 4 unveiled the latest Celebrity Big Brother line-up last night.
For the first time, it has been forced to pay contestants to take part, with fees ranging from £30,000 to £100,000.

But even with that incentive, the resulting cast list is unlikely to scintillate viewers.

The feminist authoress Germaine Greer, Sylvester Stallone's ex-wife Brigitte Nielsen, racing pundit John McCririck and model Caprice are the most famous of the housemates.
Thee others, Happy Mondays band member Bez, ex-Holby City actor Jeremy Edwards, Blazin' Squad singer Kenzie and DJ Lisa I'Anson, are likely to be greeted with a chorus of 'who?'.

Struggle to secure celebs

This third series of the show has proved the most difficult to put together, with producers struggling to secure celebrities and some dropping out at the last minute. Yesterday's launch was delayed by more than an hour amid the confusion.

As well as paying contestants, makers Endemol are also offering a cash prize to the winner for the first time - £50,000.

Money raised from telephone and text votes will, as usual, be split between the contestants' chosen charities, with the Tsunami Disaster Emergency Committee also benefiting

But unlike the first show in 2001 this one does not have the attraction of being allied to Comic Relief, which takes place in March.

Confusion and delay

Among those who turned down a place in the house were Cherie Blair's guru Carole Caplin, pop star Holly Valance, Sven Goran Eriksson's girlfriend Nancy Dell-Olio, Leslie Ash's husband and former footballer Lee Chapman, ex-Hear'Say singer Myleene Klass, glamour model Victoria Silvstedt, ex-EastEnder Chris Parker, who played Spencer Moon, and Tracey Emin's ex-boyfriend Billy Childish.

The eight competitors are two more than usual and the show has also been extended from ten days to 17.

It will follow the usual formula and Miss Nielsen, predictably, has already promised to 'get naked' as soon as she possibly can.

Makers have promised to throw 'lots of evil tasks and surprises' at the housemates, some of whom have been picked to clash.

Mr McCririck told Endemol he would hate to be shut in with "flatchested, bossy women. . . someone like Germaine Greer". Miss Greer, 65, was duly recruited. As usual viewers will decide who is evicted.

The winner of the first series, Jack Dee, warned fellow stars: "With hindsight, if I knew what I know now, I wouldn't go on it. It's a madhouse - you're surrounded by lunatics. All it's good for is relaunching careers but even then that doesn't always work."

Former Take That singer Mark Owen won the second series in 2002. A C4 spokesman defended the decision to pay the stars - Caprice is understood to be receiving the most.

"It's confidential how much we are paying but it's in keeping with other entertainment reality shows and compensates celebrities for loss of other earnings."

Article Daily Mail (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/showbiz/showbiznews.html?in_article_id=333203&in_page_id=1773&in_a_source=)