PDA

View Full Version : Giving online to help with the Tsunami disaster relief

Sticks
07-01-2005, 01:02 PM
I am surprised that this has not been mentioned here

For those wishing to donate online the Disasters Emergency Committee (http://www.dec.org.uk/) is an umbrella group of UK aid organisations - including Action Aid, British Red Cross and Oxfam - working to provide clean water, food and shelter to thousands. To call from the UK, dial 0870 60 60 900.

BusyBee
07-01-2005, 03:04 PM
I have been putting money in collection boxes every time I have passed one - cant pass one by.

Amy
08-01-2005, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by Sticks
I am surprised that this has not been mentioned here

It may not have been a topic in the forum but it was on the main page of TiBB! Here (http://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forum/article32052.htm)

Romantic Old Bird
08-01-2005, 03:03 PM
Well done Amy!

Anyway Sticks, I suspect a lot of people may have given, but just don't want to talk about it!

As for the ways in which you can give, it is pretty difficult not to know unless you are living in a cave as a hermit!

Perhaps we could think of some innovative ways in which to raise more money?

I was considering what I have in the house which could go on ebay for instance.............

Glad to see that Steve Brookstein has donated the proceeds of his number one to the appeal. A bit of a gamble, as it may be his only ever number one record.

Apparently a large 'all star' charity record has been made with contributions from lots of pop and rock legends, not sure when that comes out though.

I do worry that the devastating problems in Africa and other 3rd world will be overlooked as well..

Have a look at the videos on this website:

www.makepovertyhistory.org/home.html
You cannot help being deeply moved by them. It is obscene that we allow this to happen

Get a white band

and remember that before, during and after this catastrophe and crisis, a child dies EVERY 3 SECONDS FROM HUNGER, AND SOMEONE DIES EVERY 5 MINUTES FROM AIDS.

We should dig deep for the Tsnami appeal, but we really HAVE to do something to wipe out third world debt.

Sticks
08-01-2005, 04:16 PM
On a not too disimilar theme

A lot of times people will give a sum of money to a disaster relief fund for a far away country that we know very little and care even less. They believe it salves their consciences, that they have done their bit.

Yet

may be on their very own doorstep, someone is having a hard time.

Do they lift a finger

Or do they lock themselves up and ignore the cries of those around them.

they have given money to the disaster relief fund for a far away country that they know very little and in truth, care even less. They have done their bit.

I do not know anyone in Asia

But I know the person on my doorstep.

Someone who has been going down hill badly

I am not permitted to say any more, and I can not say why.

I have had them for meals and offered to help them in certain ways, but their is only so much I can do and they have lost hope.

I do not know what makes me more helpless? What has happened halfway across the world, or the situation right on my own doorstep:rolleyes:

bananarama
08-01-2005, 07:04 PM
From the TV it was stated that donations can be given at your bank..... I went into my bank and asked to donate but was told sorry you need to go to the Post office.....So the post office it was..for me.....I think it is bad that not all major banks are participating in the fund.......:shocked:

BusyBee
10-01-2005, 11:34 AM
There is going to be a big 'live aid' style concert at the Millenium Stadium, Cardiff on 22 January. Tickets are £30, £22.50 and £15 I think. I know Eric Clapton is appearing (its his song Tears from Heaven that is to be the charity song). Son and daughter have both booked tickets and I should imagine its something that will be televised. They hope to make £1m.