PDA

View Full Version : How unfair and wrong is this...

John.
10-03-2009, 10:42 PM
Myself and 6 friends made a short film of 4 minutes after school over five days. 10 hours of our own time!! It was to enter a competition.

Well, it turns out we won the competition and the prize of £1500. so split between 7 of us it's £214.

So the money is sent to the school via cheque and it is cashed into the 'School Fund'.

Here's were it gets juicy!!

So the new Head tells no one the money is there, and she arranges a meeting between the Senior Management Team and all the Principle Teachers.

Then they decide, by majority, that we should either give all the money to Charity or half to charity and half in to the school fund. --- Totally over looking the fact that the film was planned, scripted, filmed, edited, all by us in our OWN TIME!

So the 7 of us found out today that they planned to do this.
And quite naturally we are all really angry that there was no consultation between us and that OUR money is being taken by the school!

HERE ARE SOME POINTS I WANT PEOPLE TO KEEP IN MIND!

> WE WERE TOLD BY THE COMPANY WHO HOSTED THE COMPETITION THAT WE WOULD RECEIVE ALL THE MONEY, IT WAS OURS AND OURS ALONE.

> IT WAS OUR OWN TIME SPENT TO MAKE THE FILM.

> IT WAS PRIVATE EQUIPMENT.

> THE HEADTEACHER KEPT IT QUIET THAT THE MONEY HAD COME TO THE SCHOOL, AND HAD BEEN THERE FOR TWO WEEKS!

> THE HEADTEACHER HAD A MEETING, NOT INVOLVING ANY STAFF WHO HAD SHOWN AN INTEREST BEFORE WE HAD WON, ONLY THOSE WANTING TO DECIDE HOW TO SPEND THE MONEY.

PLEASE DO NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS OVER THIS ISSUE, JUST ASK ME!
:devil::mad:

Princess
10-03-2009, 10:47 PM
That's disgraceful! Fine,it's good to give to money to chairty,blah. But it's your money and they didn't even ask you! And it's not exactly like anyone is going to say no to some money at the moment.

John.
10-03-2009, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Princess
That's disgraceful! Fine,it's good to give to money to chairty,blah. But it's your money and they didn't even ask you! And it's not exactly like anyone is going to say no to some money at the moment.

Thank you!!

30stone
10-03-2009, 10:54 PM
Get your parents to talk to the school about it,

If there is no rule in the competition saying that it will go back to the school or go to charity then well its illegal i guess they are just taking money off you.

MrGaryy
10-03-2009, 10:55 PM
OMFGZ. IMMA KICK THEIR ASSES.

No seriously though if that was me I would kick up some serious ****. Demand the money, tell people about it, tarnish there reputation.

John.
10-03-2009, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Robin-Van-Perfect
Get your parents to talk to the school about it,

If there is no rule in the competition saying that it will go back to the school or go to charity then well its illegal i guess they are just taking money off you.

We thinked we worked it out that they could donate the money to Comic Relief for friday and then there would be no need to work to earn money!!

All 7 of us are gonna see the Head and demand a meeting tomorrow!!!! hopefully we will sort it out, but knowing my school!! they grab at the chance for the money!!

John.
10-03-2009, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Gazbo
OMFGZ. IMMA KICK THEIR ASSES.

No seriously though if that was me I would kick up some serious ****. Demand the money, tell people about it, tarnish there reputation.

well i was getting a little bit exited, and i suggested writing to the papers, i was making up headlines!!

"school fleeces pupils of winnings"

30stone
10-03-2009, 11:00 PM
Fair play mate its what is needed, to sort it out in a more grown up professional way, many people would comaplain n bitch about it but that way nothing gets done, if you let them know how you feel about it, the points you have there, there is no doubt you should get it.

If they dont take you seriously and just brush you off because your students definately ask your parents to do somthing im sure they would be happy to help you sort it out.

Chri$
10-03-2009, 11:07 PM
That's illegal.

If you rightfuly won the money the school can't refuse you the money. (Unless it says some of the money the school can keep/give to charity).

Honesty I think you should DEMAND it and if they say no you can Write to your Local paper or threaten to take them to court. (which wont be necessary).

John.
10-03-2009, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Chri$
That's illegal.

If you rightfuly won the money the school can't refuse you the money. (Unless it says some of the money the school can keep/give to charity).

Honesty I think you should DEMAND it and if they say no you can Write to your Local paper or threaten to take them to court. (which wont be necessary).

does any one have any info that they can point me in the direction off so I can prove that it is illegal!!Please help!!

MrGaryy
10-03-2009, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by JohnD
That's illegal.

does any one have any info that they can point me in the direction off so I can prove that it is illegal!!Please help!!

You shouldn't need it, as long as the rules of the competition didn't imply that the school is entitled to a say as to how the money should be spent then it is definetly stealing. But I suppose you could just go to your local police station and have a chat with someone (without actually making a complaint/reporting it)

John.
10-03-2009, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Gazbo
That's illegal.

You shouldn't need it, as long as the rules of the competition didn't imply that the school is entitled to a say as to how the money should be spent then it is definetly stealing. But I suppose you could just go to your local police station and have a chat with someone (without actually making a complaint/reporting it)

Thanks! i've just asked the police online what we can do! so just waiting a reply!

ange7
11-03-2009, 04:57 AM
who's cameras, sound gear, editing equipment did you use? the Schools. Who taught you how to use it? Who supervised you while you used it?
"OUR time that we spent" which sounded like a lot of fun but you make it sound like work.
You sound really selfish. What I really hate is how you type 'School Fund' in quoted as though you were implying it was really going into teachers pockets. The 'School Fund' was probably what bought all that gear in the first place.
Question...When you hold a cake sale at your school do you expect to take the cash home with you?
In short I think 100% ought to go to buying new equipment and ZERO go to you and your ungrateful mates. ta ta!

Harry!
11-03-2009, 05:49 AM
Send them to court if you dont get the money.

TheMac
11-03-2009, 06:09 AM
Just check the rules first, normally with stuff like this they do say the money goes to the school. And I do agree a lot with ange7, without the school you would have had no chance in the competition. Everytime I made a short film at school I've enjoyed it, not expected anything out of it, and to be honest if I did, then I think some would go to the school for all the support and equipment etc. But yeah, CHECK THE RULES!

arista
11-03-2009, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by ange7
who's cameras, sound gear, editing equipment did you use? the Schools. Who taught you how to use it? Who supervised you while you used it?
"OUR time that we spent" which sounded like a lot of fun but you make it sound like work.
You sound really selfish. What I really hate is how you type 'School Fund' in quoted as though you were implying it was really going into teachers pockets. The 'School Fund' was probably what bought all that gear in the first place.
Question...When you hold a cake sale at your school do you expect to take the cash home with you?
In short I think 100% ought to go to buying new equipment and ZERO go to you and your ungrateful mates. ta ta!

Good Points, Ange.

The Rules are matter here
did they say you would get money?

If it is printed rules
and if they changed it
get legal advice.

Lauren
11-03-2009, 06:53 AM
Those shouting "it's illegal" - would you like to explain why?
As far as I can see, someone might be missing out some vital details here.

I can't imagine he sat at home and made the film with his friends himself. He obviously entered the competition through the school, hence why they got the cheque. Secondly, he obviously would've used their equipment etc to make the film.

It was an activity done through the school, I think that is pretty obvious.

Edit: Oh, just read OPs second post about making up headlines and going to the papers. Come on people, it's just another drama llama, move along. :wink:

Fom
11-03-2009, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by arista

Good Points, Ange.

The Rules are matter here
did they say you would get money?

If it is printed rules
and if they changed it
get legal advice.

I agree, if they said you were going to get money and then changed their mind then I understand where you are coming from. If you were never told at the start of the competition by the school that you would get money its a diff story. Obviously there has been a misunderstanding somewhere and a chat does need to be had.

Sunny_01
11-03-2009, 12:26 PM
I agree with Lauren and Ange7, the competition was entered under the schools name otherwise how would they have recieved the cheque? I think some consultation should take place about where the money is donated would be nice considering the amount of time and energy invested in it but other than that its a tough lesson learned.

Tom
11-03-2009, 04:02 PM
See if you can meet them half way, £500 to charity, £500 to the school and £500 between you and your mates

If not, give the lot to charity to stick two fingers up to the teachers

John.
11-03-2009, 04:09 PM

Me and my mates are not being selfish at all! WE WERE TOLD BEFORE WE STARTED FILMING THAT WE WOULD BE RECEIVING THE MONEY, and we specifically asked, would the school be getting any off it!

WE WERE TOLD BY THE COMPANY WHO HOSTED THE COMPETITION THAT WE WOULD RECEIVE ALL THE MONEY, IT WAS OURS AND OURS ALONE.

I type 'School Fund' and this is a well known fund within the community which lots of money is paid into every year however nothing ever comes out and it is always empty!
The company paid for a film producer, and his gear to come down and help us make the film!

going into teachers pockets

It is also known that in the past this fund has been drained by the headteachers of the past!

The 'School Fund' was probably what bought all that gear in the first place.

I'll let you know again that the filming gear was not bought be the school it was privately owned.

When you hold a cake sale at your school do you expect to take the cash home with you?

No i don't expect to take the money home if it was a sale at school, but i do expect to take it home if it has nothing to do with the school, and it was a private sale!

Sam!
11-03-2009, 04:11 PM
I would be well pissed off if I were you lol.

John.
11-03-2009, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Lauren
I can't imagine he sat at home and made the film with his friends himself. He obviously entered the competition through the school, hence why they got the cheque. Secondly, he obviously would've used their equipment etc to make the film.

No, you haven't asked if I used the school equipment or not so please don't make assumptions! - I DID NOT USE ANY SCHOOL EQUIPMENT!

Sam!
11-03-2009, 04:20 PM

No, you haven't asked if I used the school equipment or not so please don't make assumptions! - I DID NOT USE ANY SCHOOL EQUIPMENT!

Keep your hair on, bloody hell.

John.
11-03-2009, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Sam!

Keep your hair on, bl***y hell.

it's just one off my pet hates is people making assumptions even though they have no earthly idea what actually happened!

bronaaaa
11-03-2009, 05:38 PM
:bored: That's the kind of thing my school would do, get your parents to ring up and complain

Dom:D
11-03-2009, 05:38 PM
:shocked:
Thats so fly!:mad:

TheMac
11-03-2009, 05:58 PM

Me and my mates are not being selfish at all! WE WERE TOLD BEFORE WE STARTED FILMING THAT WE WOULD BE RECEIVING THE MONEY, and we specifically asked, would the school be getting any off it!

WE WERE TOLD BY THE COMPANY WHO HOSTED THE COMPETITION THAT WE WOULD RECEIVE ALL THE MONEY, IT WAS OURS AND OURS ALONE.

I type 'School Fund' and this is a well known fund within the community which lots of money is paid into every year however nothing ever comes out and it is always empty!
The company paid for a film producer, and his gear to come down and help us make the film!

It is also known that in the past this fund has been drained by the headteachers of the past!

I'll let you know again that the filming gear was not bought be the school it was privately owned.

When you hold a cake sale at your school do you expect to take the cash home with you?

No i don't expect to take the money home if it was a sale at school, but i do expect to take it home if it has nothing to do with the school, and it was a private sale!

It was entered under the schools name, otherwise they would never have got the cheque. Stop being a drama queen and get over it.

Lauren
12-03-2009, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by mr_mitb

It was entered under the schools name, otherwise they would never have got the cheque. Stop being a drama queen and get over it.

Exactly.

There's no point posting in capitals insisting it was nothing to do with the school. If so, why did you have their name etc on the entry for the cheque to go to them?

Locke.
12-03-2009, 02:57 AM
We're talking about over a grand! Take them to court, there's a chance you'll get some of it then.

ange7
12-03-2009, 03:35 AM

There are 2 types of people...
#1...people who share and work in group for the advantage of everyone
and #2 people who are selfish and cold and look at for themselves.
You started in group #1 but when to money turned up you moved to group #2 and got out your calculator.
You say you didn't use school equipment etc "has nothing to do with the school"... and it was private but why was the money sent to the school? Your not telling us the whole story. And god knows how much you've twisted it already to save face.

"drained by the headteachers of the past"
... yeah... that's what money is for... to be spent on and around the school. ...wtf? You make it sound like they pocketed it to buy their kids playstation games... PS... which new games did you have your eye on? :P

John.
12-03-2009, 05:38 PM
There are 2 types of people...
#1...people who share and work in group for the advantage of everyone
and #2 people who are selfish and cold and look at for themselves.
You started in group #1 but when to money turned up you moved to group #2 and got out your calculator.
You say you didn't use school equipment etc "has nothing to do with the school"... and it was private but why was the money sent to the school? Your not telling us the whole story. And god knows how much you've twisted it already to save face.

"drained by the headteachers of the past"
... yeah... that's what money is for... to be spent on and around the school. ...wtf? You make it sound like they pocketed it to buy their kids playstation games... PS... which new games did you have your eye on? :P

We didn't put the schools name on it at all! The company put the schools name on it as we hadn't, and they didn't say too.

I have told the whole story. i have missed nothing out, honestly, hand on heart!

BTW, it was pocketed by the old headteachers!! they took it themselves!!

PS... which new games did you have your eye on? :P

i didn't have my eyes on any new games! thank you!! i didn't have my eyes on the money when we set out for the film, we only asked what haooened to the money if we won!!!
we didn't think it was the best film! but it was externally marked and we won!! so i think that we are entitled too it!