PDA

View Full Version : Dyslexia ?Disability

Thriller
28-06-2009, 02:53 AM
If dyslexia is a major disability as being talked in this forum,How come people with dyslexia have achieved so much.Please check the net about their usually high achievements and are parents keen to get a label of dyslexia for their children so that they can get extra coaching and support or am I biased in just mentioning this.

kisywisy
28-06-2009, 03:17 AM
i am dyslexic, so is my 7yo. my oldest sister and 2 younger brothers are too

we have all, apart from my daughter, had IQ tests and scored very high, but that doesn't mean that we're high achievers. my 2 brothers got lots of help when at school, but have amounted to nothing and one of them struggles to even write

my sister, who's dyslexia was so bad she needed a scribe for exams, has a masters degree. she still struggles with a LOT

there are different levels of dyslexia and it can be really hard to live with.

being dyslexic isn't something that parents can just "label" their children with. they have to get it diagnosed with a lot of tests and be referred by their school (if school age)

sorry for long post, but i thought you needed educated a bit on the subject

jtalh2003
28-06-2009, 03:17 AM
its called the tip of the iceberg for every one that achieves something there are god knows how many that dont your always going to find the exception to the rule

kisywisy
28-06-2009, 03:20 AM
very true

Sticks
28-06-2009, 05:23 AM
Who was that doctor who says that it does not exist and that it it just a middle class invention because their poor little munckins are not good at reading.

What he said was 100% WRONG

For more information about dyslexia See the BDA website (http://www.bdadyslexia.org.uk/)

DrunkerThanMoses
28-06-2009, 07:53 AM
I have dyslexia... the problem i have is that i cant spell words at all.. and I wounder off while reading stuff.... but they said I have dyslexia but its not really bad.... but not too be cocky or anything, I have done well in all my exams.. I Had 13 Gcse's and I waiting for my A Level results now!

bcass
28-06-2009, 10:13 AM
my granddaughter was considered as disruptive, lazy, and stupid at school and this was only 6yrs ago, the problem was, she thought she was stupid as well, as she couldn't understand what was written down or how to write what she wanted to write. it was only when she left school and was sent on a training course that the college thought she was dyslexic as she could verbly give correct answers, they sent her for test and she was diagnosed and was given help. not all are so lucky and it is a shame it wasn't found out sooner and her school life would have been happier. her mum and dad felt terrible but only went on by what the school told them, that she was in with a bad crown etc.

Lauren
28-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Thriller
If dyslexia is a major disability as being talked in this forum,How come people with dyslexia have achieved so much.Please check the net about their usually high achievements and are parents keen to get a label of dyslexia for their children so that they can get extra coaching and support or am I biased in just mentioning this.

It's still a disability, even if they get on with their life.

Heather Mills McCartney also gets on with her life perfectly fine, but there's no denying that having one leg is a disability.

It will affect him, no matter how much coaching and natural intelligence he has. It tires his brain out quicker, and because of the disability (that can only be suppressed, not cured) - he will never be able to read at a quick pace, or write at a quick pace. It automatically puts him at a disadvantage.

The fact they've achieved so much is a cause for being impressed, not passive.