ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Is Reality TV immoral? (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162357)

Chilltown 20-09-2010 10:45 PM

It's TELEVISION. Take it for what it is. No one should be held responsible but the people who submit themselves to be viewed. They know the risk that they may not be liked and still commit to being apart of it.

setanta 20-09-2010 11:46 PM

I've never been fond of using morality as a base for any debate seeing as it has a tendency to change from era to era, and culture to culture, so I think about it purely in terms of right or wrong. Well, in what I believe to be right and wrong.

On those terms, yes, of course it's wrong, on so many levels but sure it'll never change. It never has done in the whole history of the human race. We've always exploited the weak - and make no mistake, the vast majority of people who volunteer for a programme such as BB can be placed in this catagory - but I believe it will never change in society if we keep on watching, you know? There's always be a demand for this type of thing.

Now, that doesn't mean I don't believe that the people who produce these shows don't have a responsibilty towards the mental health of the participants after their 15 mins of hallow, meaningless "stardom" has vanished. I don't believe this myth that they all know what they're signing up for and should be able to handle the pressures that they have to endure during and after the show. That's a baseless statement to make seeing as none of us can even comprehend what type of lasting damage this kind of exposure could have on a person's psyche.

Anyway, lost my train of thought there. Might come back to waffle more later on!

Beastie 20-09-2010 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InOne (Post 3793074)
I agree about it messing up our generation. People saying "It's my dream to be on Big Brother". Pretty sad aspiration for life if you look at it. But I think it takes a certain type of mentality to go on those type of shows anyway. Most people I know wouldn't, but to be fair anyone over the last 5 years knew what they'd be getting themselves in for. They've seen many downfalls, yet they still want that tacky fame, so it's their own fault what comes from it really.

Yeah.. I would love to go on if it is more like a gameshow.. than just a social experiment with a bunch of rejects. lol joke!!

Lucy. 20-09-2010 11:51 PM

I think for the first few series of things it wasn't so much the contestants faults but in recent years definitely not the producers. People have seen evidence of previous shows and know what their letting themselves in for, plus they behave how they choose to behave, if you want to be vile then that's fine but your the one who is gonna suffer the consequences.

Beastie 20-09-2010 11:54 PM

Something like Big Brother... well.. if housemates like Jade Goody and Nadia want to be rich and famous then there is a price to pay..... receiving flack from the public for being talentless nobodies. Same with the rest of them really. I think most of them think Big Brother is worth it.. getting a bit of dosh out of it.. but I do think most end up to be bitter and just want something for nothing. You only get a few decent people who go in for the experience. Like Rachel Rice and Cameron Stout. << Easier said than done.. they were both winners.. I would love to win the 100 grand.. and go home and go back to my normal life too but if you don't win.. of course you will cling on to tacky fame.

To be honest Tracy from bb8.. I think she went straight out of the spotlight as well after BB.. I have never seen her in interviews or anything since when bb8 ended.....

Beastie 20-09-2010 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucy. (Post 3803081)
I think for the first few series of things it wasn't so much the contestants faults but in recent years definitely not the producers. People have seen evidence of previous shows and know what their letting themselves in for, plus they behave how they choose to behave, if you want to be vile then that's fine but your the one who is gonna suffer the consequences.

True. You have yourself to blame.

I think housemates want to exaggerate their personalities and be "remembered" like the late Jade Goody. Nadia's behaviour was a bit.. vile. However producers are also in the wrong. Seriously.. WHENEVER there is an argument.. EVERYONE should be shown during that particular argument so the viewers get the full story.

Beastie 21-09-2010 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by setanta (Post 3803072)
I've never been fond of using morality as a base for any debate seeing as it has a tendency to change from era to era, and culture to culture, so I think about it purely in terms of right or wrong. Well, in what I believe to be right and wrong.

On those terms, yes, of course it's wrong, on so many levels but sure it'll never change. It never has done in the whole history of the human race. We've always exploited the weak - and make no mistake, the vast majority of people who volunteer for a programme such as BB can be placed in this catagory - but I believe it will never change in society if we keep on watching, you know? There's always be a demand for this type of thing.

Now, that doesn't mean I don't believe that the people who produce these shows don't have a responsibilty towards the mental health of the participants after their 15 mins of hallow, meaningless "stardom" has vanished. I don't believe this myth that they all know what they're signing up for and should be able to handle the pressures that they have to endure during and after the show. That's a baseless statement to make seeing as none of us can even comprehend what type of lasting damage this kind of exposure could have on a person's psyche.

Anyway, lost my train of thought there. Might come back to waffle more later on!

Yeah true. However when housemates go back in the producers are pretty much exploiting the exploited. Housemates need help and reassurance when they leave the BB house. They don't need special treatment. They have had their "15" minutes.... They should not get too big for their boots because none of them are special. They need to work and do what most of us in the UK do.....

Beastie 21-09-2010 12:02 AM

It's BB anyway.. even if you are not liked.. you are soon forgotten about a few months down the road. Chill out :cool: <<<<< Yeah I am probably indenial now! :hugesmile: