ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Dundee teenagers locked up for Facebook riot threats (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192788)

Pyramid* 12-12-2011 04:59 PM

I'm not getting a good feeling about this one........... :bawling:

MTVN 12-12-2011 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowball (Post 4814519)
I'm not getting a good feeling about this one........... :bawling:

This what? :conf2:

Mystic Mock 12-12-2011 05:05 PM

Good as we didnt want a sequel to the riots.

Omah 12-12-2011 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack_ (Post 4814484)
And? If someone came up to me in the street and threatened to stab my heart out I'd want them imprisoned for my own personal safety, the same thing applies here except instead of protecting an individual, the idea is to protect an entire area. Why leave things under the pretense that 'oh, it hasn't happened yet so we won't bother', for it then to possibly happen and for it to be too late? Why not prevent those chances of anything happening early?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowball (Post 4814474)
I'll let you read my further comment a few posts back for further details.

The post below sums up my opinion :

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTVN (Post 4814490)
But would you expect them to get the same sentence as someone who did actually stab you in the heart?

The lines are being blurred here between potential crimes, and actual crimes, they're not the same thing, you can't create some kind of equivalency between creating a facebook page for a riot and actually causing one, actually causing serious damage, actually causing arson, actually causing theft etc. etc.

Exactly ..... :thumbs:

Mystic Mock 12-12-2011 05:14 PM

So MTVN and Omah,would you wait until its to late like the last time the riots happened? I agree with the new approach and that is stopping them before they get to powerful.

I also will add that if it was Al Qaeda that had threatened to cause trouble somewhere in this country you would not be saying that was harsh that they got sentenced even though they didnt do it.

Pyramid* 12-12-2011 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omah (Post 4814536)
The post below sums up my opinion :

Good for you. They don't sum up mine. :thumbs:

Prevention is better than cure.

MTVN 12-12-2011 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bethlehem (Post 4814541)
So MTVN and Omah,would you wait until its to late like the last time the riots happened? I agree with the new approach and that is stopping them before they get to powerful.

I also will add that if it was Al Qaeda that had threatened to cause trouble somewhere in this country you would not be saying that was harsh that they got sentenced even though they didnt do it.

Since when was it a choice between letting riots go ahead or giving them 3 years in jail? No I would have them given what I consider to be a fairer punishment

Pyramid* 12-12-2011 05:20 PM

Quote:

Let's use another example.

Say riots would have taken place on the back of these idiots trying to get it all kicking off up in Scotland........ I bet my house that both Omah and MTVN would be the first ones to say, "They knew they were going to do it, the Police should have acted, they had the info there, rather than let it happen".

If that would had happened, no doubt both of you would have found fault with that also. :idc:

MTVN 12-12-2011 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowball (Post 4814551)
Let's use another example.

Say riots would have taken place on the back of these idiots trying to get it all kicking off up in Scotland........ I bet my house that both Omah and MTVN would be the first ones to say, "They knew they were going to do it, the Police should have acted, they had the info there, rather than let it happen".

If that would had happened, no doubt both of you would have found fault with that also. :idc:

This is stupid, whatever the sentence was the police arrested them and nothing happened, the fact that no riots took place in Dundee is completely irrelevant to the severity of their sentence which was only given today

Omah 12-12-2011 05:27 PM

Quote:

Banging up a couple of kids for Facebook entries is not going to stop riot and insurrection - there are other means of communication and organisation ..... ;)

Quote:

Does Al Qaeda use Facebook to arrange meetings ..... ?

Pyramid* 12-12-2011 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTVN (Post 4814522)
This what? :conf2:

I'll let you know when (if) it happens. I'll tip you the nod. ;)

Omah 12-12-2011 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowball (Post 4814545)
Good for you. They don't sum up mine. :thumbs:

Prevention is better than cure.

Prevention of this non-event cured nothing - it just created a couple of career-criminals ..... :sad:

Pyramid* 12-12-2011 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTVN (Post 4814558)
This is stupid, whatever the sentence was the police arrested them and nothing happened, the fact that no riots took place in Dundee is completely irrelevant to the severity of their sentence which was only given today

It's far from stupid.

I see you are completely avoiding the "Prevention is better than cure" and the fact that these idiots will be used as an example ....... to avoid nutjobs from trying to pull off a stunt like this in the future - a stunt which may actually cause mayhem as was the intention with these idiots.

Mystic Mock 12-12-2011 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omah (Post 4814567)
Banging up a couple of kids for Facebook entries is not going to stop riot and insurrection - there are other means of communication and organisation ..... ;)

Does Al Qaeda use Facebook to arrange meetings ..... ?

1. The only way you will get these scum to learn right from wrong is by giving them harsh sentences,although I would give higher if the worser crimes was sentenced higher aswell.

2. I was giving an example (yes a bit of an extreme example) but an example none of the less and I still think if it happened and they got caught you know people would be praising the Governments and the Police.

MTVN 12-12-2011 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowball (Post 4814571)
I'll let you know when (if) it happens. I'll tip you the nod. ;)

Don't talk in riddles, what did you mean with your other post :suspect:

Pyramid* 12-12-2011 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omah (Post 4814574)
Prevention of this non-event cured nothing - it just created a couple of career-criminals ..... :sad:

The sentence they have been given will have given out a message to other reprobates not to try to pull a stunt like this...... in an effort to prevent such a FB campaign from recurring again. ;)

MTVN 12-12-2011 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowball (Post 4814575)
It's far from stupid.

I see you are completely avoiding the "Prevention is better than cure" and the fact that these idiots will be used as an example ....... to avoid nutjobs from trying to pull off a stunt like this in the future - a stunt which may actually cause mayhem as was the intention with these idiots.

I hate "making an example" of people, with that reasoning you're chucking them under a bus purely to uphold some principle and to make a point. You might consider it effective but that doesn't make it just.

Pyramid* 12-12-2011 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTVN (Post 4814582)
I hate "making an example" of people, with that reasoning you're chucking them under a bus purely to uphold some principle and to make a point. You might consider it effective but that doesn't make it just.

Hell mend them then - they should have thought of that before they thought it would be an amusing thing to do. They're laughing at the other side of the face now. I doubt they will do the same thing again......if the lesson taught has to be a hard one, so be it.

They were banged up for 3 years, they'll be out this time next year - hardly being chucked under a bus.

Omah 12-12-2011 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowball (Post 4814580)
The sentence they have been given will have given out a message to other reprobates not to try to pull a stunt like this......

No, it won't - it will have just given out a message that stupid teenagers will get banged up with hairy-assed neanderthals ..... :eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowball (Post 4814580)
in an effort to prevent such a FB campaign from recurring again. ;)

There was NO "campaign" ..... :nono:

Pyramid* 12-12-2011 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omah (Post 4814631)
No, it won't - it will have just given out a message that stupid teenagers will get banged up with hairy-assed neanderthals ..... :eek:

There was NO "campaign" ..... :nono:

Good....that will make them think twice about doing it again.

Well it certainly wasn't a friendly invite over to their place for Wine and Cheese. :nono:

Omah 12-12-2011 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowball (Post 4814650)
Well it certainly wasn't a friendly invite over to their place for Wine and Cheese. :nono:

Very true - there was no mention of deep-fried Mars Bars and Buckfast, either ...... :shrug:

:joker:

Bollo 12-12-2011 06:33 PM

There is a guy fairly near to where we are (southampton)going on trial for similar in Feb.
I remember at the time that a lot of people who where working in offices/ shops in southampton went home early and shut up shop because the police took these facebook pages seriuosly, and a lot of people were worried sick.

In my opinion these people deserve all they get

Pyramid* 12-12-2011 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omah (Post 4814663)
Very true - there was no mention of deep-fried Mars Bars and Buckfast, either ...... :shrug:

:joker:

See..... pair of selfish gits into the bargain. Increase their sentence to 5 years !

:D

Niall 12-12-2011 10:36 PM

Harsh but I suppose its to set an example for anyone contemplating the same thing.