ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   By 2022 all UK schools will be Academies (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299153)

Will. 16-03-2016 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 8563064)
You and your fancy College Will, I don't know what that means for you then I guess it might become an academy :think:

Maybe, Academy reminds me of like a game and you go and train to become a warrior or something in an academy. :laugh:

Cherie 16-03-2016 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ammi (Post 8563063)
..our feeder school is a college, they used to be called upper schools in the three tier system where there were middle schools as well..there are still a few areas here who haven't yet gone over to the two tier system yet, but our colleges take children from 11yrs old, with 6th forms from 16yrs old...

We haven't had a three tier system for years, primary 3 to 11, then a mixture of secondary schools including comprehensive, academy and grammar, sixth form colleges and a college which is for 16 plus and offers NVQs and BTechs as well as A levels, what will happen to grammar schools under this new policy :think:

The private school has a lower, middle and upper though

Marsh. 16-03-2016 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will. (Post 8563068)
Maybe, Academy reminds me of like a game and you go and train to become a warrior or something in an academy. :laugh:

Beauxbatons Academy for Witches and Wizards?

Cherie 16-03-2016 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will. (Post 8563068)

My sons school changed to an academy around year 9 it didn't make any difference as far as I could see, the parents did get to vote for the change

Nicky91 16-03-2016 09:11 AM

so Academies are for children with Rich parents only, or am i wrong?

Academies are where children wear school uniforms, right

Kizzy 16-03-2016 09:15 AM

For Labour, shadow education secretary Lucy Powell accused ministers of ignoring a warning by the Chief Inspector of Schools Sir Michael Wilshaw highlighting "serious weaknesses" in academy chains.
"How the Government can plough ahead with the wholesale academisation of all schools in light of his evidence beggars belief. We want to see robust accountability and oversight of all schools regardless of type," she said.

"It's about time the Government came forward with a comprehensive plan for school improvement for all children, in all schools up and down the country, and a serious strategy for raising standards for the next generation."

Writing in the Independent, shadow Chancellor John McDonnell said: "There is no economic justification for the Chancellor's cuts. He has made a political choice to impose them. That has meant putting his own ambitions on the Tory leadership ahead of what is good for the country."

Mr McDonnell accused the Chancellor of planning to target the most vulnerable to plug the holes in his economic plans.
"This constitutes a new low. Labour will insist that he steps back from the brink," he said.'

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/ge...080351700.html

_Tom_ 16-03-2016 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicky91 (Post 8563085)
so Academies are for children with Rich parents only, or am i wrong?

Academies are where children wear school uniforms, right

No, I went to an academy. :laugh: They closed down three local secondary schools in my area when I was in Year 9 and built a large academy and merged all students and staff.

The day was 8.45am - 2.45pm, but older students could have an extra lesson ending at 4.15pm. Lessons were a lot longer, usually 1 hour and a half. I remember in its first year some lessons were 3 hours long. :umm2:

Nicky91 16-03-2016 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Tom_ (Post 8563097)
No, I went to an academy. :laugh: They closed down three local secondary schools in my area when I was in Year 9 and built a large academy and merged all students and staff.

The day was 8.45am - 2.45pm, but older students could have an extra lesson ending at 4.15pm. Lessons were a lot longer, usually 1 hour and a half. I remember in its first year some lessons were 3 hours long. :umm2:

okay :laugh: , now i know you are not from a wealthy family :joker: :laugh:

i really thought that, because some academy's are private, right

awkward moment for me :facepalm:

Toy Soldier 16-03-2016 09:53 AM

I have no idea why the government continue to Shylock education... it's THE most vital part of a healthy economy, surely.

Unless, of course, what they want is the majority of people going into unskilled labour or vocational trades with only those who can afford private education going into academia or careers that require a higher level of education. That couldn't possibly be what they would like to see though, right?

Will. 16-03-2016 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsh. (Post 8563073)
Beauxbatons Academy for Witches and Wizards?

:laugh:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 8563075)
My sons school changed to an academy around year 9 it didn't make any difference as far as I could see, the parents did get to vote for the change

Ah ok.

Denver 16-03-2016 10:18 AM

Should be grateful they have a school to go to :idc: the kids of Africa would love a academy

Kizzy 16-03-2016 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 8563140)
I have no idea why the government continue to Shylock education... it's THE most vital part of a healthy economy, surely.

Unless, of course, what they want is the majority of people going into unskilled labour or vocational trades with only those who can afford private education going into academia or careers that require a higher level of education. That couldn't possibly be what they would like to see though, right?

Called it... :(

Ammi 16-03-2016 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 8563071)
We haven't had a three tier system for years, primary 3 to 11, then a mixture of secondary schools including comprehensive, academy and grammar, sixth form colleges and a college which is for 16 plus and offers NVQs and BTechs as well as A levels, what will happen to grammar schools under this new policy :think:

The private school has a lower, middle and upper though

..yeah, we've been one of the later counties to adopt the two tier system and when we did, there was a lot of concerns/opposition from parents who felt that the 'soft and gentler easing' through a middle school was the way but I don't think that I've spoken to any parent since who has that same view and still thinks that it wasn't a good idea...there will undoubtedly be exceptions, I'm sure but on the whole, it's been a great thing...the interesting thing about academy schools as well is that we've created a 'network' to go around and look at some academy schools with some of our local state run schools because we were sceptical as well and so far..(we've visited 5 I think and met to discuss them because I think the only way is to actually see something up and running/see how it works for ourselves..)..it's all been really favourable stuff, things that we would like to implement ourselves in school but we're not able to because of funding...both staff and pupils seem really happy with their academy school and for good reasons...we also have one locally which hasn't been 'tested' yet as it's still being built but already, there are many pupils in the local community college who are hoping to and eager to transfer there when it opens because of what it's offering compared to what they have available to them atm....

arista 16-03-2016 10:58 AM

4:30PM for Will to go home from School

Extra Hour to be added
to Match South Korea and China

http://media.skynews.com/media/image...-1-992x558.jpg

rubymoo 16-03-2016 10:59 AM

My girls go to a secondary school academy, last year the deputy head told the students they were bankrupt, so they were trying to think of ways to make extra money, however they have just kitted out the computer suites with brand new computers with windows 10, this winter my girls have had to sit in classes with their coats on because the heating has been turned off, something tells me that maybe they aren't running this school as well as it should be, and why aren't academy's changing school holidays and sticking to state school holidays, the difference of a holiday a week before and after the summer hols are considerably lower, i'll be glad when my 2 leave the school system behind!

Ammi 16-03-2016 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubymoo (Post 8563208)
My girls go to a secondary school academy, last year the deputy head told the students they were bankrupt, so they were trying to think of ways to make extra money, however they have just kitted out the computer suites with brand new computers with windows 10, this winter my girls have had to sit in classes with their coats on because the heating has been turned off, something tells me that maybe they aren't running this school as well as it should be, and why aren't academy's changing school holidays and sticking to state school holidays, the difference of a holiday a week before and after the summer hols are considerably lower, i'll be glad when my 2 leave the school system behind!

..I just read that as 'knitted out' their computer suites, Ruby..I was thinking how inventive and clever that was..:laugh:..(it's because I was having a knitting (ish) conversation with someone at the time..)...mind you, we've sat with our coats on at school/no heating many, many times and we're not an academy school....

Nicky91 16-03-2016 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ammi (Post 8563218)
..I just read that as 'knitted out' their computer suites, Ruby..I was thinking how inventive and clever that was..:laugh:..(it's because I was having a knitting (ish) conversation with someone at the time..)...mind you, we've sat with our coats on at school/no heating many, many times and we're not an academy school....

well i feel so stupid, Ammi for thinking a academy school is only for rich children

really awkward for me thinking that :facepalm:

bitontheslide 16-03-2016 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicky91 (Post 8563225)
well i feel so stupid, Ammi for thinking a academy school is only for rich children

Academys used to be private schools, so its no surprise its confusing

Nicky91 16-03-2016 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitontheslide (Post 8563227)
Academys used to be private schools, so its no surprise its confusing

thank you, i feel slightly less awkward now :laugh:

Ammi 16-03-2016 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicky91 (Post 8563225)

...awww, don't feel awkward Nicky, I wouldn't know how the education system in The Netherlands fully works or in many other countries either...academies aren't new as such but they're on the rise atm so we're all pretty much in the learning stage with them....

Nicky91 16-03-2016 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ammi (Post 8563235)
...awww, don't feel awkward Nicky, I wouldn't know how the education system in The Netherlands fully works or in many other countries either...academies aren't new as such but they're on the rise atm so we're all pretty much in the learning stage with them....

well here we got normal education i think, here in the Netherlands they make it overcomplicated :laugh:

and thank you, Ammi, you are such a good friend on this forum :)

rubymoo 16-03-2016 11:22 AM

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...b0bc531e7e.jpg

This is related to Ammi's post above :laugh:

Cherie 16-03-2016 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubymoo (Post 8563256)

:joker:

Nicky91 16-03-2016 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubymoo (Post 8563256)

:joker: :joker:

Toy Soldier 16-03-2016 11:31 AM

If you want to further confuse matters - the school I went to was called "[Town Name] Academy"... but it was NOT an "Academy" as described here - it was just a normal state High School. Dunno if the naming standard differs between Scotland and England but it's certainly got me confuddled :joker:. In fact, all of the state high schools I can think of "up here" are called "[blah] Academy"...