ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Should we have lessons about whats going on in the world? (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125803)

Patrick 01-01-2010 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by courtney123 (Post 2817254)
omg Youre irish?!
;);););)

Yeah lol

Harry! 01-01-2010 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebeast (Post 2817269)
Oh I was not really taught about recent events or events in the last 100 years when I was at school. It was usually like the battle of hastings.

Although I do remember going to a museum about the Holocaust.

Oh I see. We also have Citizenship days where we talk about social issues but they never really talk about war , mostly they talk about colleges and sex.

Stacey. 01-01-2010 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick (Post 2817342)
Yeah lol

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh :wink::wink:
:D haha,omg, Like Jedward? :shocked:

Patrick 01-01-2010 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by courtney123 (Post 2817349)
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh :wink::wink:
:D haha,omg, Like Jedward? :shocked:

:joker: Yeah like Jedward

Stacey. 01-01-2010 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick (Post 2817353)
:joker: Yeah like Jedward

:shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked:
I want to meet you someday :wink:
i LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE irish accents!!!!!!!!!!!!! :elephant::elephant:
:lovedup:

Beastie 01-01-2010 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Recylopse (Post 2817348)
Oh I see. We also have Citizenship days where we talk about social issues but they never really talk about war , mostly they talk about colleges and sex.

I remember in PSE we talked about sex and stuff lol. I think I only had PSE until year 9 but that lesson was allright.

Jords 01-01-2010 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebeast (Post 2817369)
I remember in PSE we talked about sex and stuff lol. I think I only had PSE until year 9 but that lesson was allright.

Ah we had 'Escape Skills' once every 2 weeks in year 7, it was about: using IT skills, career paths, sex and drugs and a hint on why people do certain things type of scenerios. and war.

Patrick 01-01-2010 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by courtney123 (Post 2817361)
:shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked::shoc ked:
I want to meet you someday :wink:
i LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE irish accents!!!!!!!!!!!!! :elephant::elephant:
:lovedup:

Lol Thanks :thumbs:

BB_Eye 02-01-2010 01:41 AM

Not sure about current affairs, but I think history lessons in general need an overhaul. There was a lot of focus at my school on both world wars (which is fine), but far too much focus on American history which (apart from the Great Depression) had relatively little importance to us compared to, say, the Renaissance, the Industrial Revolution, the Napoleonic wars and the history of the British Empire and its various crimes.

InOne 02-01-2010 01:48 AM

Yeah, we did 'Black people in America' what the hell has it got to do with us?

Princess 02-01-2010 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninastar (Post 2817171)
In history at my school you learn about how bad ass hitler was and about the hastings and ****.

We learned feck loads of Irish History here,like half my Leaving Cert course was Irish History,it was SOOO boring. We did stuff about 'what's happening in the world' in CSPE and then in later years in stuff like RE and sometimes English.

Jords 02-01-2010 08:47 AM

I used to love history in primary, when it was about tudors, egyptians and that, ancient history sort of thing. And I used to hate geography, because it was just about 'people in different countries'. But now in secondoray school I loveee geography and cant stand history because its mainly about war and thats all, which doesnt really interest me.

Captain.Remy 02-01-2010 08:54 AM

History, Geography and Economics are generally good at that. Well, that's how it is in France so I don't know in UK how it works.
I've learnt a lot from these lessons but don't get focussed on what school teaches you: read serious daily magazines (not The Sun or Heatworld...), watch the news, search on the Internet. You'll learn more from there than in school.

Vladimir 02-01-2010 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILoveDC (Post 2817137)
no but we should have lesson about whats going on in the real world

:joker::joker::joker:

NettoSuperstar! 06-01-2010 03:22 PM

Yeh we should so we can try and stop making the same mistakes over and over and over and over...like a monkey with a minature symbol!

Stu 06-01-2010 03:45 PM

All schools should have classes on popular culture and politics past and present, but it will never happen. Why would government want to arm people with the knowledge to realise how messed up the world they are running is?

Your only hope in this world is to start reading and to read a lot. Kids who don't start reading are essentialy missing out on countless worlds of thought and alternative ideaology that would never have occured to them.

Wikipedia helps, but meh. Schools job is to destroy creative thought and to bracket and label everything into logical, easy to digest sections to prepare you for the mundanity of the working world and conforming to a job you don't like. I know we all have to make paper but some people are basically trapped in an institution for their entire lives. Those sorts who then don't ever think just use the television as a source of entertainment to balance out the tedium of there lives, more mind numbing, and the cycle goes on and on and on.

The bell defines school really. The bell rings and no matter what you get up, walk to a certain spot, and wait for the next bell.

WOMBAI 06-01-2010 05:10 PM

Lessons in understanding that z-listers aren't celebrities and are definitely not important people would be good. Even proper celebs aren't any more important than anyone else. A good title for such lessons might be 'Priorities'. Ha,ha.

NettoSuperstar! 07-01-2010 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu (Post 2837073)
All schools should have classes on popular culture and politics past and present, but it will never happen. Why would government want to arm people with the knowledge to realise how messed up the world they are running is?

Your only hope in this world is to start reading and to read a lot. Kids who don't start reading are essentialy missing out on countless worlds of thought and alternative ideaology that would never have occured to them.

Wikipedia helps, but meh. Schools job is to destroy creative thought and to bracket and label everything into logical, easy to digest sections to prepare you for the mundanity of the working world and conforming to a job you don't like. I know we all have to make paper but some people are basically trapped in an institution for their entire lives. Those sorts who then don't ever think just use the television as a source of entertainment to balance out the tedium of there lives, more mind numbing, and the cycle goes on and on and on.

The bell defines school really. The bell rings and no matter what you get up, walk to a certain spot, and wait for the next bell.

Aye too true

bananarama 13-01-2010 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninastar (Post 2817125)
I mean in school. I have never been taught about the war or how it started or other peoples beliefs and things like that in school. Some of you might have but none of the schools in my area have been.
I think it should be, because its probably one of the biggest things going on in the world. I don't think alot of people unders stand alot of it, me being one of them.

Having saying that, more and more people from other countries in the world are coming to live here and it wouldnt be right to talk about it. People see everything differently so it could end up badly anyway.

Sorry if I'm not really making sense with that, or it sounds really stupid.

Interesting!!!!!! When I was at school a long long time ago we had a class called "Current affairs" in which subjects you mention would have been talked about and children informed.......Are you saying no such type lesson exists in modern schooling ??? If so it is a disgrace.....

Tom 13-01-2010 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InOne (Post 2817973)
Yeah, we did 'Black people in America' what the hell has it got to do with us?

Because its world history and not UK history