ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   The X Factor 2010 [S7] (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=572)
-   -   Good singers vs all rounders (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168380)

Z 04-12-2010 03:54 PM

Good singers vs all rounders

This seems to be a recurring issue in the years since Cheryl has joined the judging panel. Cheryl has, all credit to her, an eye for contestants who could be marketed as pop stars. Alexandra, Diana and Laura all released solo material post-X Factor, Joe did (and I think Lloyd is going to, Rikki probably has/will) and no doubt some of her girls from this year will too. Is it better, though, to have good singers or contestants who, although they can sing, aren't that good but can, for example, dance? It always splits support every year and throws up the usual arguments of "____ is boring because they don't do anything but sing" vs "____ is a rubbish singer, they are getting through because they can dance." What do you prefer to see on the show? It seems that good singers always win out but have, over the years, thrown up some pretty boring winners when it comes down to it - should they maybe stop putting so many fantastic singers through if they're wanting to find a pop star? Gamu not getting through but Katie and Cher doing so is an example of this, I'd say, Gamu would probably have been lost in the pack of good singers that were on the show this year; Cher and Katie benefited from being more unique.

Iceman 04-12-2010 03:57 PM

Yeah I prefer the all rounders.....I mean looking at this year I much prefer Cher/Katie to Rebecca, they're similar ages and should be able to do the same thing. But the whole rebecca standing there doing nothing is just pathetic, I mean last week she clicked her fingers and oved her hands a few times, it looked like she was on the verge of a stroke.....

Jords 04-12-2010 04:02 PM

Good singers, wont see their dancing on albums and Id rather not here a load of autotune crap.

Stacey. 04-12-2010 04:06 PM

Prefer all-rounders. If you go to their concert then you don't want to see them stood in the middle of the stage like you would with Rebecca...

That's why Cher should win :love: She can sing, rap and dance, and is versatile.

Zippy 04-12-2010 04:15 PM

Well Alexandra was both. Leona was a great singer, poor performer.

I think an exceptional voice is always welcome to the music scene. Rebecca reminds me of Randy Crawford and with the right songs could make a very classy easy listening album. Matt has a good voice but I fear a dull MOR pop album.

Cher will look good in videos but be more dependant on good contemporary production. She has the best potential I think overall. And she's improved a lot in this contest...even pulling off big songs.

Tom 04-12-2010 07:11 PM

This is why Alexandra is the best winner ever. She has 'The X Factor'.

nanaimo 04-12-2010 07:34 PM

i like the voice above all things, not the gimmicks, dancing or whatever, don't even like music videos, i like a fine talented singer that just takes me away from it all while i listen to them and Rebecca has that kinda voice, fair enough if some people pay to see britney live for her "circus" (she lip-synchs because her show is too energetic...lol) and alot more do aswell i bet, nuff said.Hope music gets rid of the ott theatrics and get back to its grass roots.we need another nirvana ftw

MeMyselfAndI 04-12-2010 07:40 PM

Good singers

Smithy 04-12-2010 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeMyselfandI (Post 3965671)
Good singers

And yet your currently supporting Cher? :conf2:

StGeorge 04-12-2010 07:41 PM

One thing that keeps recurring from the two main businessmen Walsh & Scowell is that they are trying to find a recording artist....singers are recording artists....dancers arent. Now for concerts and vid-promos it might be better if singers can dance and move around, but that can be taught with time and applied when needed....if dancers cant sing then they never will, and its the sales from records that make them the most successful.

I've tried and tried, but i have never been able to enjoy the dancing when playing records/cds/mp3s. :rolleyes:

Stacey. 04-12-2010 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smithy (Post 3965674)
And yet your currently supporting Cher? :conf2:

...because she's a good singer.

Her performing is just a bonus.

Zippy 04-12-2010 08:51 PM

Cher will sound great on record and can perform too. Job done.

Smithy 04-12-2010 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacey. (Post 3965681)

err, If you say so :L

Marsh. 04-12-2010 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nanaimo (Post 3965643)
fair enough if some people pay to see britney live for her "circus" (she lip-synchs because her show is too energetic...lol)

So true. They always use that excuse when it's actually the other way around. They put on a big energetic performance and throw in loads of dancers BECAUSE they can't sing.

MeMyselfAndI 04-12-2010 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 3965523)
This is why Alexandra is the best winner ever. She has 'The X Factor'.

she obviously isn't the best winner ever. Otherwise she would be outselling Leona or doing tours.

She sold 700k albums
Leona has sold 10 million albums
LOL

she isn't even a tenth of leona lewis yet!

MeMyselfAndI 04-12-2010 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacey. (Post 3965681)

this

I also like Matt too