ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   The X Factor 2010 [S7] (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=572)
-   -   Matt Cardle: I think Matt used to hate the show... (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169135)

MargeryFan 14-12-2010 01:38 PM

I think Matt used to hate the show...

"I didn't want to go down this route but I have, and I want to make it work for me"

"I don't think I've completely sold out, I mean there's things I've done over the past ten weeks that I would never [have done] but you've just got to bend over."

http://itn.co.uk/750baf7d95c28a4b858864515bad9e2f.html

Strangely, I like him more after this interview :conf:

fruit_cake 14-12-2010 01:40 PM

I reckon Simon will be paying him £12000 to get lost this time next year just like he did with Steve Brookstein

Fetch The Bolt Cutters 14-12-2010 01:46 PM

MissKittyFantastico 14-12-2010 02:47 PM

I like his honesty. You gotta do what you gotta do to try and make it sometimes, I hope it works out for him.

cub 14-12-2010 03:49 PM

Why would you need to be a fan of the show in order to enter?

Z 14-12-2010 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cub (Post 3995672)
Why would you need to be a fan of the show in order to enter?

You don't need to be, but implying you've sold out by entering it is a surefire way to taint your own success.

ElProximo 14-12-2010 08:01 PM

It is a strange thing.
I have no doubt there are a 100 would-be singers who were (at least) on the right direction towards some contracts, full-time work, success and had to think long and hard whether they would risk it all by joining x-factor, bgt, american idol etc etc.

For people like Matt (who was known about before X-Factor) there is also a risk in NOT taking the opportunity. Sure, it may look like he is 'on his way' but 2 years later he might be kicking himself when nothing really comes of the promises.

But maybe these talent shows.. rather the public perception/acceptance has been changing and you really can carry on without (as we say) being 'saddled' with this 'talent show contestant' weight.
In the last few years a number of 'American Idol' contestants (not winners) have carried on to some great careers.
Not riding the 'American Idol runner-up' post-season arrangements but they have gone on to become independent 'superstars' in their own rights.
Most even forgetting their American Idol starts.

I was also trying to think of some legendary acts from olde day versions. Abba has to come to mind. Even way back then - people quickly forgot they were a contest winner. Was it called 'Eurovision'?
Basically it was 'Pop Idol' of its day.

Someone else told me Cliff Richards was, originally, known for being a 'Pop Idol' winner?

Anyways, Matt is someone who definitely can carry on 'independent' or 'not reliant' on this X-Factor title.

Tom4784 14-12-2010 08:10 PM

He's already too big for his boots, Arrogant sod.

MargeryFan 14-12-2010 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElProximo (Post 3996304)
It is a strange thing.
I have no doubt there are a 100 would-be singers who were (at least) on the right direction towards some contracts, full-time work, success and had to think long and hard whether they would risk it all by joining x-factor, bgt, american idol etc etc.

For people like Matt (who was known about before X-Factor) there is also a risk in NOT taking the opportunity. Sure, it may look like he is 'on his way' but 2 years later he might be kicking himself when nothing really comes of the promises.

But maybe these talent shows.. rather the public perception/acceptance has been changing and you really can carry on without (as we say) being 'saddled' with this 'talent show contestant' weight.
In the last few years a number of 'American Idol' contestants (not winners) have carried on to some great careers.
Not riding the 'American Idol runner-up' post-season arrangements but they have gone on to become independent 'superstars' in their own rights.
Most even forgetting their American Idol starts.

I was also trying to think of some legendary acts from olde day versions. Abba has to come to mind. Even way back then - people quickly forgot they were a contest winner. Was it called 'Eurovision'?
Basically it was 'Pop Idol' of its day.

Someone else told me Cliff Richards was, originally, known for being a 'Pop Idol' winner?

Anyways, Matt is someone who definitely can carry on 'independent' or 'not reliant' on this X-Factor title.

Interesting read.

cub 14-12-2010 09:29 PM

I applaud his honesty. If he were to say he'd always been an X Factor fan it would soon come out. He's a muso.