ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Soaps (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=554)
-   -   Hollyoaks is safe! (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170205)

Scarlett. 07-01-2011 11:59 PM

Hollyoaks is safe!

I hope the woman decides to keep it

Quote:

HOLLYOAKS is facing the axe because of falling ratings and failed characters, insiders revealed yesterday.

New Channel 4 chief Jay Hunt - who takes up her post next week - is said to have the teen soap in her sights.

Back from the dead ... Warren Fox, aka Jamie Lomas
Back from the dead ... Warren Fox, aka Jamie Lomas

A source told TV Biz last night: "Jay wants to make her mark on the channel when she arrives and Hollyoaks is a definite target for her.

"There has been unease within Channel 4 for a while about the soap's direction."

Panicked chiefs at production company Lime Pictures - which also makes ITV2's The Only Way Is Essex - moved to try to breathe new life into the Chester-based show on Thursday ahead of former BBC1 controller Jay's arrival.

They replaced series producer Paul Marquess, who had been in the job for only a year but had been criticised for axing 11 characters and bringing in new faces who viewers do not like.

Ratings for the show - on air since 1995 - have recently dipped below 1million.

Marquess also brought back villain Warren Fox (Jamie Lomas), who fans had been led to think was dead.

The source said: "Lime bosses are panicking that Jay Hunt will axe Hollyoaks as it is the biggest show they make.

"They hope that by changing producers and shaking things up it will give the show a new lease of life and prove to Jay that she should keep it."

Last night a C4 spokeswoman said Marquess had only a 12-month contract - and insisted the soap, also starring Gemma Merna had a future.

She added: "Hollyoaks remains an important part of the Channel 4 schedule."

The Sun

Shaun 08-01-2011 12:00 AM

oh my god please axe it.

bbfan1991 08-01-2011 12:02 AM

NO NO NO:bawling:.

Iceman 08-01-2011 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 4041631)
oh my god please axe it.

This.

It was much better 10 years ago than it is now.

Scarlett. 08-01-2011 12:05 AM

If they get rid of HO, what does C4 have left in terms of flagship content? Countdown? Deal or no Deal? T4?

bbfan1991 08-01-2011 12:05 AM

Hollyoaks is their only flagship soap, and C4 have other things to worry about looking at some of the dross they have on their schedule..

flemin 08-01-2011 12:07 AM

Doubt it's true. Like people have said, what else have Channel 4 got?

Tom4784 08-01-2011 12:07 AM

I don't think it will be axed, HO's young demographic is like goldust to advertisers and It's ratings have been picking up since Lucy Allan's rein. It's all tabloid rumours again.

Fetch The Bolt Cutters 08-01-2011 12:07 AM

:bawling:

InOne 08-01-2011 12:09 AM

There is no way it will get axed. But they do really really need to clean it up. It's getting a mess again but has some good potential

bbfan1991 08-01-2011 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 4041649)
I don't think it will be axed, HO's young demographic is like goldust to advertisers and It's ratings have been picking up since Lucy Allan's rein. It's all tabloid rumours again.

Nixon have just signed a deal because they want to promote their brand to the Hollyoaks demographic mostly teens till about 34-35.

Hope you're right:).

Visage 08-01-2011 12:40 AM

This is sounding very similar to the rumours that were going around over Brookside getting pulled off the air. If I remember correctly these rumours were going around over two years before it was axed.

What worries me is, if they can cancel Brookie they can do the same with Hollyoaks :bawling::bawling:

It's all so crap these days! I miss The Bill and Big Brother, not too fussed over Heartbeat but it was another popular show that was axed.

Stu 08-01-2011 12:45 AM

Hollyoaks has been and always will be a hole of a show anyway. Absoloute brain popcorn full of dodgy acting and terrible storylines. It wont be axed though. It's watched by stupid teenagers. Advertisers just love stupid teenagers.

Bring back Brookie.

Mystic Mock 08-01-2011 03:18 AM

im not surprised as its **** and it cant even get 1 million viewers.

Patrick 08-01-2011 04:01 AM

The only thing I'm worried about is missing Thresea and having no Hollyoalks Babes 2012 calendar tbh.

But on the bright side...
Maybe Jay was a Big Brother fan :amazed:

Locke. 08-01-2011 04:02 AM

They can bring back Brookside

Patrick 08-01-2011 04:04 AM

It's a shame though when soaps like Emmerdale and bloody Doctors stay on air and this doesn't when it's more entertaining than Doctors & Hollyoaks put together!!

Mystic Mock 08-01-2011 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick (Post 4041896)
It's a shame though when soaps like Emmerdale and bloody Doctors stay on air and this doesn't when it's more entertaining than Doctors & Hollyoaks put together!!

a typo towards the end patrick.;)

Stu 08-01-2011 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Locke. (Post 4041895)
They can bring back Brookside

They better. It did everything first. It practically invented the type of soap EastEnders is trying to be today.

Patrick 08-01-2011 07:19 AM

And what exactly is that Stu?

Scarlett. 08-01-2011 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu (Post 4041761)
Hollyoaks has been and always will be a hole of a show anyway. Absoloute brain popcorn full of dodgy acting and terrible storylines. It wont be axed though. It's watched by stupid teenagers. Advertisers just love stupid teenagers.

Bring back Brookie.

I agree, apparently HO/Brookie creator Phil Redmond is planning something for it's anniversary

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick (Post 4041896)

Emmerdale production values > The rest of the soaps
Plus Emmerdale gets 8/9m viewers

Patrick 08-01-2011 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chewy (Post 4042012)
I agree, apparently HO/Brookie creator Phil Redmond is planning something for it's anniversary

Emmerdale production values > The rest of the soaps
Plus Emmerdale gets 8/9m viewers

What exactly does that mean? [The part I put in bold :p]

And it doesn't really matter, well obviously it does in the sense that's why it's staying on but they're nothing special.

Compared to the other two soaps, Emmerdale is a wanna-be.

Corrie and EastEnders have a much wider audience, Hollyoaks is aimed at teens and Emmerdale is clearly aimed at women in their 40s and above.

Scarlett. 08-01-2011 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick (Post 4042013)
What exactly does that mean? [The part I put in bold :p]

And it doesn't really matter, well obviously it does in the sense that's why it's staying on but they're nothing special.

Compared to the other two soaps, Emmerdale is a wanna-be.

Corrie and EastEnders have a much wider audience, Hollyoaks is aimed at teens and Emmerdale is clearly aimed at women in their 40s and above.

The bulk of Emmerdale's actors are fantastic, the scripts are tight, the direction is good and it's all very beleivable

Corrie has quite a number of duff actors, who need ditching, but the direction and scripts are good

Barbie 08-01-2011 11:20 AM

Hollyoaks is aimed at teens, but im 19 and tried to watch it about a year ago. I couldnt watch for more than 2 weeks it was just so awful, i cant describe what it was lacking because i think it was lacking in all areas!

Jords 08-01-2011 02:37 PM

Noooooooooooooooo Hollyoaks is getting better and better imo!