ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Patriotism (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170207)

Princess 08-01-2011 01:13 AM

Patriotism

Taken from the 'What do you love about Britain' thread. Are people meant to love their country no matter what? And why is that? And why is it so frowned on not to be patriotic?

Niamh. 08-01-2011 01:16 AM

I would say I'm very patriotic, like in the way you can bitch about your brother but if someone else does you get defensive, same applies for Ireland:joker: But you don't have to be anyway Laura, If you're not you're not!

Kerry 08-01-2011 01:18 AM

I am, very much so. That said, I can't abide people slating other countries for the sake of it

Stu 08-01-2011 01:27 AM

Couldn't be buggered. We are a nation of mostly fuck ups. With a long history of fucking up. I like our writers, our guiness and our way with words and outgoing nature but that's about it. I don't feel any burning obligation to care past that. Most of the culture I devour and like is not Irish culture.

Patriotism is the belief that the country where you happened to be born is the best country in the world. I have no desire to stay in Ireland and if most 'patriotic' people won the lottery they would flee too.

Princess 08-01-2011 01:30 AM

People are so defensive though. I get completely slated for not liking Ireland. And I don't see why people hate it?

MTVN 08-01-2011 01:32 AM

Not really, I dont think Britain is particularly better than a whole load of other countries out there, and it was only by chance that I was born here so in that respect I dont see why I would celebrate my nationality

Kerry 08-01-2011 01:36 AM

Had I the money I'd not leave England. Yes, I'd have retreats but I'd not leave on a permanent basis and yes I've mulled it over before. A year or two ago I was actually given the chance of a home/job/set up in Canada with my family but we turned it down.

flemin 08-01-2011 01:44 AM

I'm not particularly patriotic but I am thankful to live here. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else put it that way.

letmein 08-01-2011 02:56 AM

There's a fine line between being patriotic, and a flat out Nationalist. People don't want bad things to happen to their countries, and will defend it, but people shouldn't just put their heads in the sand and pretend that everything they do is just wonderful. Everywhere has problems, and unless you admit to them, they'll never be solved. That's what's so dangerous about Nationalism.

Mystic Mock 08-01-2011 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princess (Post 4041821)
Taken from the 'What do you love about Britain' thread. Are people meant to love their country no matter what? And why is that? And why is it so frowned on not to be patriotic?

i believe you should be patriotic to your country as your born there and its pride to be from that country.

and the only reason its frowned upon to be patriotic is because the labour party wanted to make the right wing people look racist.

Princess 08-01-2011 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jedward fever (Post 4041874)
i believe you should be patriotic to your country as your born there and its pride to be from that country.

and the only reason its frowned upon to be patriotic is because the labour party wanted to make the right wing people look racist.

Yeah but why does being born there mean you have to like it? There is plenty of other countries out there to like instead. *and has no idea whether that Labour party thing is about the UK or Ireland*

Mystic Mock 08-01-2011 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princess (Post 4041875)
Yeah but why does being born there mean you have to like it? There is plenty of other countries out there to like instead. *and has no idea whether that Labour party thing is about the UK or Ireland*

i was just joking about the labour part,and everybody has there opinion but i like alot of stuff in england but hate others so thats why i lean more to the patriotic side,and i love alot of countries like america,i just wouldnt want to live there incase a gang member randomly shot me on the streets.

Princess 08-01-2011 03:23 AM

See I like wayyyy more things about England than I do about Ireland. So it makes perfect sense for me not to be that patriotic.

Mystic Mock 08-01-2011 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princess (Post 4041883)
See I like wayyyy more things about England than I do about Ireland. So it makes perfect sense for me not to be that patriotic.

fair enough ive never been to ireland so i cant comment.:)

InOne 08-01-2011 09:20 AM

I am sort of Patriotic, but my Grandparents were Irish so had some of that in me too. I love traditional Irish culture.

But to me being pariotic is keeping the pub culture alive, appreciating and visiting what's on your own soil. (Stone Henge, Hadrians Wall) Stuff like that. Plus exploring what takes your fancy. It seems to some people going down the local to watch England or flying some flags outside your house makes you Patriotic :S. I like History and all that so love to learn about English and British History.
I've been quite a few places but at the moment prefer England the most, maybe it's cos I grew up there or maybe it's cos I actually like it haha Still want to travel all over though.

Patrick 08-01-2011 09:24 AM

Nah I don't really give a sh*t tbh, but obviously you'll defend your country and your country is 'the best' and that'll always be the way but I'm fine with saying when another country is actually better at doing something than us.

Lee. 08-01-2011 10:03 AM

I love my country and although I complain about the weather and say I'm going to emigrate, I know I couldn't live anywhere else permanently.

So yeah, I feel very patriotic towards Scotland and am proud of being Scottish..

I also have Irish ancestors both maternally and paternally, so although I haven't yet visited, I do feel drawn to it and will trace my family properly one day and visit their home :)

BB_Eye 08-01-2011 01:21 PM

British 'culture' is an oxymoron.

Ramsay 08-01-2011 01:57 PM

i really couldnt give a shyte

Callum 08-01-2011 02:02 PM

No I really dislike Wales and can't wait to move to another country. That's not to say it's a terrible country because it's not but I couldn't live my whole life here. The scenery here is good, there are lots of nice places to visit but it's not for me.

Jords 08-01-2011 02:58 PM

Nat really, I like living in England but I dont parade around going on about it. :laugh:

arista 08-01-2011 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by letmein (Post 4041871)
There's a fine line between being patriotic, and a flat out Nationalist. People don't want bad things to happen to their countries, and will defend it, but people shouldn't just put their heads in the sand and pretend that everything they do is just wonderful. Everywhere has problems, and unless you admit to them, they'll never be solved. That's what's so dangerous about Nationalism.

Sure on a BNP Forum.

But on Here
its not such a big problem.

arista 08-01-2011 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by happyland (Post 4041991)
I love my country and although I complain about the weather and say I'm going to emigrate, I know I couldn't live anywhere else permanently.

So yeah, I feel very patriotic towards Scotland and am proud of being Scottish..

I also have Irish ancestors both maternally and paternally, so although I haven't yet visited, I do feel drawn to it and will trace my family properly one day and visit their home :)

I would like to see
The Republic of Scotland.

It would be great on Trading Deals

'Conor 08-01-2011 05:26 PM

I am very patriotic

arista 08-01-2011 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Conor (Post 4042419)
I am very patriotic

Nothing Wrong with that

Keep it Spunky