ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Should EMA be kept? (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170690)

Jords 18-01-2011 08:04 PM

Should EMA be kept?

I receive £30 and strongly in support of it staying. Even if I didnt get it I would still think the concept should keep going.

Obviously you will have some people abuse the privaledge, and Im gonna admit Ive treat myself with the fund and would do if something I wanted cropped up, but I use it for what its for too. Have actually saved most of it (currently have £300, spent £90 - £30 on myself and gave £60 to mum).

Vicky. 18-01-2011 08:07 PM

Is EMA what university students get too?

My mate from school has had problems financially, couldnt get the loans because hes doing a part time course...but couldnt get some form of funding either (not sure what it was, something regular D: ) and applied for jobseekers...for which he got turned down as he was not available for work due to his course. The jobcentre advised him to DROP his uni course, halfway through. Just so he could claim jobseekers :bored:

Now if thats not sending out the wrong message then I dont know what is

Shaun 18-01-2011 08:07 PM

No.

In my experience absolutely noone used the EMA for its intended purpose - books, travel, stationery - but instead spent it on lunch, going out at the weekend etc.

Besides, with the age of compulsory education raising to 18 this year, it's entirely pointless - it would cost the government billions.

Ninastar 18-01-2011 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 4061722)
No.

In my experience absolutely noone used the EMA for its intended purpose - books, travel, stationery - but instead spent it on lunch, going out at the weekend etc.

Besides, with the age of compulsory education raising to 18 this year, it's entirely pointless - it would cost the government billions.

I agree with this. It's not like the money is needed anyway

Jords 18-01-2011 08:10 PM

To some people it is needed........................

Ninastar 18-01-2011 08:13 PM

If its needed then go get a job hehehehe

Jords 18-01-2011 08:15 PM

Find me 1 then, and all the other people who need the money.

Edit: hehehehe

Ninastar 18-01-2011 08:16 PM

mkay, let me just get my book of jobs out

Ninastar 18-01-2011 08:17 PM

i understand that some people need it, its just that the majority see it as free money, so why not take it anyway.

I'm sure if you tried hard enough, you would be able to find a job

MTVN 18-01-2011 08:17 PM

I think they could design a better system less open to abuse. Like for those who need it to travel to school they should be able to apply for a free bus/train pass or something instead.

When drastic cuts are being made I dont think you can justify handing out money to kids who wont use it the way it's intended

Zippy 18-01-2011 08:21 PM

Hasn't it been scrapped?

Jords 18-01-2011 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninastar (Post 4061743)
i understand that some people need it, its just that the majority see it as free money, so why not take it anyway.

I'm sure if you tried hard enough, you would be able to find a job

Perhaps, but why would I want to lose my weekend because I have to go to work anyway?
I have the whole future to work my arse off everyday, and Id rather have the time to get on with school work whilst being able to balance it out by just relaxing and having fun at the weekend. Im still young and would like to enjoy that thanks.

I think if the application was designed for just people with financial difficulties it would work better, I know quite a few well-off people who get it o.o

Ninastar 18-01-2011 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jords (Post 4061756)
Perhaps, but why would I want to lose my weekend because I have to go to work anyway?
I have the whole future to work my arse off everyday, and Id rather have the time to get on with school work whilst being able to balance it out by just relaxing and having fun at the weekend. Im still young and would like to enjoy that thanks.

I think if the application was designed for just people with financial difficulties it would work better, I know quite a few well-off people who get it o.o

I see what you mean and everything, but I disagree, I think that if a person really does need the money, they should be willing to work to receive it.

I also think that its unfair that some people get it and some don't. Just because your parents might earn more doesn't mean that you automatically get the money every single week.

Jords 18-01-2011 08:27 PM

I take it you dont get it? :tongue:

MTVN 18-01-2011 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jords (Post 4061765)
I take it you dont get it? :tongue:

What do you spend it on though?

Ninastar 18-01-2011 08:28 PM

Surprisingly your right.

Jamie..... 18-01-2011 08:29 PM

Ive not really used it for education lol, ive just saved it up
Only the odd book and a laptop if it counts as educational :p

Shaun 18-01-2011 08:30 PM

Jords you've just said you save it - you clearly don't need it for weekly expenses.

Jords 18-01-2011 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTVN (Post 4061766)
What do you spend it on though?

Saved most of it, have gave £60 to help out over Xmas (well £90, but she gave me £30 back), then £30 on food/drink/a DVD. I use the money I get other ways before I dip into EMA. I have £300 atm, should have £90 going in at the end of the week.

/is one of the sensible kinds though

And I think its very much people who get it want it kept vs. jelousy of people who dont. Their parents are better off though so on a whole get treat more -.-

Zippy 18-01-2011 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 4061772)
Jords you've just said you save it - you clearly don't need it for weekly expenses.

yeah I spotted the contradiction.

Lee. 18-01-2011 08:38 PM

Hang about! Do schoolkids get money these days?

MTVN 18-01-2011 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jords (Post 4061781)
Saved most of it, have gave £60 to help out over Xmas (well £90, but she gave me £30 back), then £30 on food/drink/a DVD. I use the money I get other ways before I dip into EMA. I have £300 atm, should have £90 going in at the end of the week.

/is one of the sensible kinds though

And I think its very much people who get it want it kept vs. jelousy of people who dont. Their parents are better off though so on a whole get treat more -.-

So how did that go to helping your education?

I think the desire to keep the money is more prominent in those who do get it, than the jealousy is in those who don't tbh. As in, I think it is a more influencing factor in their stance on this.

Ninastar 18-01-2011 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by happyland (Post 4061787)
Hang about! Do schoolkids get money these days?

Yeah, Its for 16 - 18 year olds, I'm not sure if you get it at uni or not though

Zippy 18-01-2011 08:40 PM

just encourages them not to work if you ask me. Free money is never a good motivator.

Ninastar 18-01-2011 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zippy (Post 4061795)
just encourages them not to work if you ask me. Free money is never a good motivator.

I agree with this