ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   CBB8 (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=569)
-   -   Desmond 'on verge of' bringing BB to C5 (terms agreed?) (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171618)

Matt 09-02-2011 07:29 PM

Desmond 'on verge of' bringing BB to C5 (terms agreed?)

Quote:

Richard Desmond is understood to be on the verge of signing a deal with Endemol to bring Big Brother to Channel 5.

It is understood that the commercial terms have been agreed leaving just the official final sign-off by both parties, which is expected within days barring any 11th hour hiccups, to seal the deal. Big Brother came to an end after 10 years on Channel 4 in September.

The Channel 5 owner resumed negotiations with the show's producer, Endemol UK, after they ground to an acrimonious halt last autumn.

Final details relating to the fine tuning of how the format will return to the screen are currently being hammered out. According to one source the new version will be on a smaller scale than the Channel 4 hit, but will have a longer run. On Channel 4 the series ran for up to 13 weeks each year.

"Endemol need the money, which is why they've done the deal, having broken it off before," said one source. "Executives are now down to final details but broadly they are there."

Channel 5 and Endemol declined to comment.

There has been speculation that Davina McCall, the show's Channel 4 host, will return to the Channel 5 version.

Big Brother saw its popularity fade in recent years from its peak in 2002, when it was watched by an average of 5.3 million viewers and a record 9.2 million for the final, won by Kate Lawler. The final of last year's edition of the show, won by Josie Gibson, was watched by 4 million.

On Channel 4 the show's image never really recovered from the damage done by the Shilpa Shetty race row, which engulfed Celebrity Big Brother in January 2007, and declining audience numbers sealed its fate on the network.

However, the franchise could get a new lease of life on Channel 5. The amount of programming airtime that Big Brother delivers, with spin-offs including Celebrity Big Brother, and the viewing numbers – even at the reduced level of its final years on Channel 4 – would boost Channel 5's viewing share.

"Channel 5's ratings are not great and Big Brother will really help them deliver, particularly given there is nothing on the schedule or seemingly in the works to produce such numbers," said a second source.

News of the agreement comes ahead of a relaunch of the channel on Monday that will include new on-air branding, a fresh look for 5 News, presented by new signing Emma Crosby, and celebrity magazine spin-off show OK! TV fronted by former Big Breakfast presenter Denise Van Outen replacing Live at Studio Five.

Big Brother can expect to receive blanket coverage in Desmond's newspaper and magazine empire, but it remains to be seen how much attention it will get elsewhere in the tabloid press, which has gone cold on the show in recent years.
Source: MediaGuardian

Niamh. 09-02-2011 07:43 PM

:amazed:

Stu 09-02-2011 07:47 PM

Despite everything I'm really pleased. But still worried at how it might turn out. I know Endemol still retain creative control of the show but I hope it doesn't change too drastically. I don't nessacerily think Big Brother has to be done different in order to bring viewers back. Just done right.

Patrick 09-02-2011 07:48 PM

All I Can Say Is,

Orgasm.

Patrick 09-02-2011 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu (Post 4102429)
Despite everything I'm really pleased. But still worried at how it might turn out. I know Endemol still retain creative control of the show but I hope it doesn't change too drastically. I don't nessacerily think Big Brother has to be done different in order to bring viewers back. Just done right.

This.

We don't want them aiming to high, you want it to be just right in order to maintain the 3 Million viewers it had.

If it can get more, amazing.

But they shouldn't try and revamp it too much, as it may 'scare' away some of it's fans thta have stayed with it.

Niall 09-02-2011 08:00 PM

:amazed: Omfg I hope this is true. :love:

It would be one hell of a birthday present if all this info is true. :amazed:

Vicky. 09-02-2011 08:12 PM

The only change that needs to be made is that it is NORMAL people going in. Not people with agents who have been contacted before auditions 'inviting' them to apply :rolleyes:

And maybe change it to vote to save too, but thats just me :p

BigBrotherfan4ever 09-02-2011 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu (Post 4102429)

Me too Stu
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicky. (Post 4102491)
The only change that needs to be made is that it is NORMAL people going in. Not people with agents who have been contacted before auditions 'inviting' them to apply :rolleyes:

100% agree with you Vicky, should be everyday people.

I also meant to say i really hope this is true, i really cant wait to here one way or another if its coming back, i hope we here on Monday or even sooner, im so impatient...lol

Matt 09-02-2011 08:24 PM

I think an announcement on Monday is highly likely now. The return of Big Brother would get Channel 5 lots of publicity for its on-air relaunch.

Sawyer 09-02-2011 08:25 PM

Yes!! Can't wait for Monday! :D

daniel-lewis-1985 09-02-2011 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicky. (Post 4102491)

And you think "NORMAL people" apply for Big Brother. Lets not be dillusional they are all wannabees.

ME INCLUDED.

bbfan1991 09-02-2011 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 4102536)
I think an announcement on Monday is highly likely now. The return of Big Brother would get Channel 5 lots of publicity for its on-air relaunch.

Indeed but it's not been long since it ended last year and IMO a revamp this summer is tricky, they should have more time to refresh the format. Maybe reduce the amount of weeks it runs for too because 13 weeks in BB11 was way too much...

Vicky. 09-02-2011 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daniel-lewis-1985 (Post 4102550)
And you think "NORMAL people" apply for Big Brother. Lets not be dillusional they are all wannabees.

ME INCLUDED.

Do you have an agent?

If not, you are fine :laugh:

MTVN 09-02-2011 08:30 PM

I'm still going to wait for official confirmation before I get too excited :laugh:

Tony1111 09-02-2011 08:31 PM

Fingers crossed theres a deal and its back in the Summer! :D

Patrick 09-02-2011 08:32 PM

I agree with Vicky.

If I was asked 'Okay we're bringing BB back but you can pick one thing you want us to change and we'll do it!'

I'd pick Vote To Save right away.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTVN (Post 4102564)
I'm still going to wait for official confirmation before I get too excited :laugh:

This.

I'm going to have a party, well when I say party I mean a few beers whilst watching old BB Clips on YouTube and talking to TiBBers and just being pumped on Monday.

rofl.

bbfan1991 09-02-2011 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicky. (Post 4102561)
Do you have an agent?

I'm glad that one of my favourite housemates Freddie Fisher wasn't discovered through an audition but a member of BB spotted him at a mutual friends wrdding:joker:.

BigBrotherfan4ever 09-02-2011 08:37 PM

I just hope when the say longer series but smaller scale, this could mean they dont intend to bring back LiveFeed.:sad::sad:

daniel-lewis-1985 09-02-2011 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicky. (Post 4102561)
Do you have an agent?

Im with an agency yeah lol

Tony1111 09-02-2011 08:39 PM

I kind of like the thought of having a smaller scaled series, Less luxuries will make the housemates cranky and more likely to find faults in others for fun which starts fights! :D

Vicky. 09-02-2011 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daniel-lewis-1985 (Post 4102597)
Im with an agency yeah lol

:bored:

:p

daniel-lewis-1985 09-02-2011 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbfan1991 (Post 4102551)
Indeed but it's not been long since it ended last year and IMO a revamp this summer is tricky, they should have more time to refresh the format. Maybe reduce the amount of weeks it runs for too because 13 weeks in BB11 was way too much...

bb11 wasnt on for 13 weeks.

Silly rabbit.

BB IS ALIVE 09-02-2011 08:44 PM

I hope they only make minor changes to the format, such as rules and stuff. I think if they put in "normals" then its a winnner! A celeb version should happen first as more people will watch that and c5 can proove they can handle the show. Also why dont they have some live performances, great way to boost ratings!

iRyan 09-02-2011 09:12 PM

I don't want "normal" people.

The best part about Big Brother is the outlandish characters. Normal is boring.

dizzy bint 09-02-2011 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BB IS ALIVE (Post 4102626)
I hope they only make minor changes to the format, such as rules and stuff. I think if they put in "normals" then its a winnner! A celeb version should happen first as more people will watch that and c5 can proove they can handle the show. Also why dont they have some live performances, great way to boost ratings!

Arguably, BB has never contained 'normals'.