ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   How big is the Universe? (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172752)

Grimnir 06-03-2011 05:26 AM

How big is the Universe?

Here are a couple of cool videos to show the size of the known visible universe.

Imagine how big the Universe is beyond what we can see
Imagine if our Universe is only one of an infinite number of Universes
Think about all the matter and particles and photons and just everything that exists, why does it exist? and where did it all come from?

What do you all think?:xyxwave:

Jessica. 06-03-2011 07:26 AM

:amazed:

Pyramid* 06-03-2011 08:19 AM

Great vids. Loved the first one esp.

arista 06-03-2011 10:39 AM

That information about Travel in Space
is only worked on todays space crafts
but in our Future will will be able to travel so fast
it would be to quick to see.

Other Galaxy Planets , far far away ,have
humans so we need to be armed.

Rob 06-03-2011 10:42 AM

reminds me of being in high school science lesson

Judas 06-03-2011 04:49 PM

It's a scary yet inspiring thought. What is out there? What is the chance of some of hybrid life form being created right now or dying out? Surely the chances of an identical civilisation is very, very slim?

Tom. 06-03-2011 05:02 PM

I can't understand how the universe is expanding even though they say its infinite.

Grimnir 06-03-2011 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom. (Post 4151097)
I can't understand how the universe is expanding even though they say its infinite.

some believe universe is infinite and some believe it is finite

ones who think finite believe before time and space existed there was truly nothing and total void
their answer to "how does the universe expand into nothing" is complicated and involves space time warping :s

here is my theory :)

Universe is infinite
At the centre of almost all galaxies is a supermassive black hole
There is one at centre of Milky Way
Once this supermassive black hole engulfs the entire galaxy it leads to a big bang WITHIN the universe
This happens periodically over billions and billions of years
The big bang theory says everything came from one bang, but I always think why are the galaxies so far apart from each other.
If a spew of matter shot out from centre of the universe 13 billion years ago why does everything settle in clumps at vast distances apart?
If my theory was true, then it answers his question.
There was no 1 single big bang at start of universe. Universe has always existed and is infinite.
Instead each galaxy is result of a supermassive black hole leading to a big bang.
Imagine throughout all the infinite billions of years this has been happening, it is bound to affect what we see in the sky through telescopes.
When they looking at things that don't exist anymore as it has taken the light so long to get to Earth and be visible, it is not an exact science.
So many factors can distort what they think they may be looking at.

Tom. 06-03-2011 08:08 PM

Interesting theory but I don't think I have the mental capacity to grasp all of it :joker:

And I know you've covered it in your theory but I'd love to know where black holes go

StrathmoreBB 06-03-2011 09:03 PM

This thread is actually interesting.

Jamesy 08-03-2011 08:24 AM

This is my favorite YouTube video.

If that doesn't work above here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17jymDn0W6U

I think the universe is something humans will never understand fully. We may come across life but I highly doubt we'll know the true extent of the universe. It seems that the universe is never ending, but I wonder whether there is something beyond the universe, may be there are a collection of universes all within something else that is unknown? It's possible.

Us coming across life is certain though, not in our life time I don't think but possible in the future of humans. We have only explored as far as Mars in terms of studying planets atmospheres, there are signs that suggest life was once on Mars so I think that is our solar system it's possible there is life.

Ahh, the wonders of space, so many endless possibilities.

karezza 08-03-2011 11:03 AM

The universe does not exist - it is all in your mind.

arista 08-03-2011 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom. (Post 4151513)
Interesting theory but I don't think I have the mental capacity to grasp all of it :joker:

And I know you've covered it in your theory but I'd love to know where black holes go

Through to other Humans on other planets.

With No God.

Livia 21-03-2011 03:03 PM

"Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein.

Stacey. 21-03-2011 03:06 PM

Omgz. It's like everything.

BB_Eye 21-03-2011 04:28 PM

Love this guy... R.I.P.