ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Standards of Education these days, are shocking. (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175272)

Pyramid* 30-04-2011 02:32 PM

Standards of Education these days, are shocking.

In the past few days: I've read comments on FB, on the internet etc: not just unbelievable questions: but genuine shock at realising some of the very basics within the country that we live: a few examples:-

The Queen is married? Who to?
Duke of Edinburgh: does that mean he's from Scotland?
Where's the Queen Mum?
Diana had a title before she met Charles?
Princess Ann was married before?

I've read on here and on other forums, teens (and older), not knowing how to cook basic things, simple meals, not knowing how to use a standard non electric tin opener, people asking how to measure curtains (ie; they like the size of the ones that are up but don't know how to measure them!!!!) - I have to say: I am left completely and utterly astounded at some of the lack of everyday knowledge.

I have to wonder what it is schools teach these days.

It appears very little about the country we live in, the history of it, and very little about basic cooking, basic everyday life skills.

Unbelievable. :shocked:

Fetch The Bolt Cutters 30-04-2011 02:33 PM

i find this insultive

MTVN 30-04-2011 02:34 PM

Since when has "how to measue curtains" ever been on the national curriculum? Those things come with experience

MeMyselfAndI 30-04-2011 02:34 PM

Not everyone is older than 30

Fetch The Bolt Cutters 30-04-2011 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeMyselfandI (Post 4220472)
Not everyone is older than 30

omg

this guy :laugh3:

CharlieO 30-04-2011 02:36 PM

they dont teach english royal history in schools. Probably because it doesn't have much significance anymore.

MTVN 30-04-2011 02:36 PM

:joker:

Pyramid* 30-04-2011 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott (Post 4220470)
i find this insultive

Proving my very point.

It's a serious observation - if you are insulted, may I ask why? Does any or all of what I've mentioned as examples, apply to you? I was speaking generally.

It would appear that teaching standards have failed - if people aren't taught the basics - either at school or by their family - they have failed as much as anyone. There is of course that other thing called interest and self learning. I wonder whatever happened to that?

Pyramid* 30-04-2011 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTVN (Post 4220471)
Since when has "how to measue curtains" ever been on the national curriculum? Those things come with experience

How much experience does it take to look at a label, or take the curtains down (better for you without a typo?) and get a tape measure?

Pyramid* 30-04-2011 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlieOsborne (Post 4220475)
they dont teach english royal history in schools. Probably because it doesn't have much significance anymore.

I'm not altogether sure they even teach basic English.

English Royal History? Ah... Mary Queen of Scots - now there's bit of Royal History that isn't English. As for significance: I'd beg to differ - 2 million plus people yesterday would say otherwise!

It's the nation in which we all live - it's called History,

Are you telling me that schools no longer teach History?

Scarlett. 30-04-2011 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyramid* (Post 4220478)
How much experience does it take to look at a label, or take the curtains down (better for you without a typo?) and get a tape measure?

I'm sure parents prefer their teenagers not to start taking curtains down tbh

CharlieO 30-04-2011 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyramid* (Post 4220480)

English Royal History? Ah... Mary Queen of Scots - now there's bit of Royal History that isn't English.

It's the nation in which we all live - it's called History.

Yes i personally dont do history at school however they teach other topics
which are probably far more relevant than the title of someone that has married into a royal family, its not like they can cover all world history in the 13 years your at school.

Pyramid* 30-04-2011 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chewy (Post 4220483)
I'm sure parents prefer their teenagers not to start taking curtains down tbh

Why not? A nineteen year old for example is old enough to be married, have children but you think they shouldn't take curtains down?

BTW: This is a debate thread folks: no use taking the hump about it and going on the attack: I'm putting forward a genuinely serious thread to discuss the lack of education these days.

Scarlett. 30-04-2011 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyramid* (Post 4220487)
Why not? A nineteen year old for example is old enough to be married, have children but you think they shouldn't take curtains down?

BTW: This is a debate thread folks: no use taking the hump about it and going on the attack: I'm putting forward a genuinely serious thread to discuss the lack of education these days.

Well...because...it kinda makes a mess :joker:

Shaun 30-04-2011 02:45 PM

I generally agree, if the examples are a bit farfetched. I think the education system doesn't push students - I was having this conversation with Zee & Dezzy the other day, about how we weren't really taught how important grades and qualifications are. That's partly the student's fault I guess since most only really care about friendships, their favourite one subject, and partying, but I'm sure that's been the case in most places.

I think the media doesn't help. People don't aspire to be scientists or pioneers any more, they want to be famous or attractive.

CharlieO 30-04-2011 02:47 PM

Oh and regards to the curtains thing: this is the internet age, if someone needs to take down curtains im sure their is a website which will teach them in like 5 minutes.

Pyramid* 30-04-2011 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlieOsborne (Post 4220485)
Yes i personally dont do history at school however they teach other topics
which are probably far more relevant than the title of someone that has married into a royal family, its not like they can cover all world history in the 13 years your at school.

You think history lessons are not valuable. If so, it's a very blinkered life.

As for 13 years at school - they can certainly cover the basics - past and present. Funnily enough: I had 13 years of schooling too: and I learned what you think they can't cover these days, as well as cooking, sewing, even some woodwork as well as secretarial, classical - blah blah blah.

Pyramid* 30-04-2011 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlieOsborne (Post 4220494)
Oh and regards to the curtains thing: this is the internet age, if someone needs to take down curtains im sure their is a website which will teach them in like 5 minutes.

Given that the person had to ask online how to do it: it begs the question, 'Were they simply too lazy to go search online for the answer" - or were they simply wanting someone else do do the hard work, and just tell them.

I'd say that was precisely an example of how they could seek the answer themselves.

MTVN 30-04-2011 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyramid* (Post 4220480)

English Royal History? Ah... Mary Queen of Scots - now there's bit of Royal History that isn't English. As for significance: I'd beg to differ - 2 million plus people yesterday would say otherwise!

It's the nation in which we all live - it's called History,

Well the trouble with history is that there is err.. rather a lot of it. I'm doing it at A-Level now and I'm doing it at Uni next year and I know very little about Mary Queen of Scots, and anything I do know about the Royal Family hasnt been taught in school. But on the other hand, I've been taught very well on equally significant and important topics such as British Imperialism in the 19th century, Nazi Germany & the last years of Tsarism in Russia.

I also find it funny how people constantly criticse the education system when more people than ever are going on to higher education with A-levels and now University. People are generally so much more educated nowadays than a century ago, or even half a century ago.

CharlieO 30-04-2011 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyramid* (Post 4220495)
You think history lessons are not valuable. If so, it's a very blinkered life.

As for 13 years at school - they can certainly cover the basics - past and present. Funnily enough: I had 13 years of schooling too: and I learned what you think they can't cover these days, as well as cooking, sewing, even some woodwork as well as secretarial, classical - blah blah blah.

I didn't say they weren't valuable I said in history they teach other things like the world wars. Not it as a subject itself.

It really depends on the subject choices people take. For example it may be that standards have dropped just because people aren't taking the difficult subjects. In my case i'm not the same and the majority of british teens so i don't really know enough to wonder why.

Pyramid* 30-04-2011 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 4220489)
I generally agree, if the examples are a bit farfetched. I think the education system doesn't push students - I was having this conversation with Zee & Dezzy the other day, about how we weren't really taught how important grades and qualifications are. That's partly the student's fault I guess since most only really care about friendships, their favourite one subject, and partying, but I'm sure that's been the case in most places.

I think the media doesn't help. People don't aspire to be scientists or pioneers any more, they want to be famous or attractive.

I'd have to agree on all you've said.

I remember the old adage of 'always have a trade behind you' - and time after time, I've seen that learned trade or skill have to be used - to live, to make money when things have fallen by the wayside.

I agree that the portrayal of 'being famous for doing nothing' - or to simply be attractive, seems to be the mindset - rather than using real talents or intelligence to obtain goals in life. The media in all the forms it comes in, definately has some blame, but as you say: people don't seem to push themselves these days.

Pyramid* 30-04-2011 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTVN (Post 4220500)
Well the trouble with history is that there is err.. rather a lot of it. I'm doing it at A-Level now and I'm doing it at Uni next year and I know very little about Mary Queen of Scots, and anything I do know about the Royal Family hasnt been taught in school. But on the other hand, I've been taught very well on equally significant and important topics such as British Imperialism in the 19th century, Nazi Germany & the last years of Tsarism in Russia.

I also find it funny how people constantly criticse the education system when more people than ever are going on to higher education with A-levels and now University. People are generally so much more educated nowadays than a century ago, or even half a century ago.

I think you will find that the standard of intelligence are not as high as they were, the entry standards to Uni etc are far more flexible than ever they were. There are people who cannot use the written language correctly who attend Uni for all sorts of degrees that never used to exist.

It's great that you appear to have learned much - and if not taught in school, you must have had that influence to learn more about certain aspects of history: either via your family, friends - at least you sought the information out. Many don't, and think it has no relevance - that's more my point.

Omah 30-04-2011 03:00 PM

Quote:

I also find it funny how people constantly criticse the education system when more people than ever are going on to higher education with A-levels and now University.

It seems to me that most "new" universities are just jumped-up technical colleges providing qualifications in cookery, hairdressing, PE and "media studies" ..... :shocked:

Quote:

People are generally so much more educated nowadays than a century ago, or even half a century ago.

That much is true, but the standards of literacy, numeracy and communication are half what they were ..... ;)

Pyramid* 30-04-2011 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlieOsborne (Post 4220502)
I didn't say they weren't valuable I said in history they teach other things like the world wars. Not it as a subject itself.

It really depends on the subject choices people take. For example it may be that standards have dropped just because people aren't taking the difficult subjects. In my case i'm not the same and the majority of british teens so i don't really know enough to wonder why.

There has only been 2 World Wars, am I think I'm fairly safe in assuming that it was only 'touched upon' - and not gone into any depth.

Subject choices kick in at Secondary School. What about the other 50% of teaching that goes on prior to that. I was certainly taught history when I was about 8 or 9 - going back to Medieval times: how landowners became landowners, what tithes were, right up to local historical knowledge (and given that I studied in Scotland, England, Cyprus and Saudi Arabia - that applied to every school I attended). It wasn't just by chance that I was at a 'good' school.

Pyramid* 30-04-2011 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omah (Post 4220511)
It seems to me that most "new" universities are just jumped-up technical colleges provising qualifications in cookery, hairdressing, PE and "media studies" ..... :shocked:

Exactly what I was getting at Omah, thank you.

That much is true, but the standards of literacy, numeracy and communication are half what they were ..... ;)

Again, precisely my own thoughts.