ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   CBB8 (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=569)
-   -   Big Brother overhaul targets casual viewersThere will be no 24 hour live online feed (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181533)

michael21 16-08-2011 01:04 PM

Big Brother overhaul targets casual viewersThere will be no 24 hour live online feed

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/b...030895.article

Quote:

Big Brother will be made more experimental and Endemol will aim to pull in more casual viewers as part of the show’s response to the emerence of structured reality.

The super-indie has used BB’s shift to Channel 5 to examine all elements of the long-running reality show and, while the “sacrosanct” format will remain unchanged, the production techiques will evolve.

Executive producer Gavin Henderson said the show will adopt techniques from the emerging crop of reality TV shows to ensure the show feels current.

“Big Brother does what it does extremely well but it isn’t a TOWIE or a Made In Chelsea,” he said. “But the humour, the awareness of the manipulation that the viewers have of those shows, as well as their use of music are things we need to note.”

He added that reality TV audiences will no longer tolerate the combination of a long, wide shot coupled with a slow actuality sequence, for example.

The way in which the show is framed will also evolve in order to make it easier for viewers to dip in and out of and extend its appeal beyond its hardcore fans.

“The combination of relying on actuality in real time and an analytical voiceover with date stamps made it quite a loyal watch and not the kind of thing a casual viewer would be invited to come to,” Henderson said.

“But by cutting it differently, adjusting the pace and adding more signposting gives people permission not to have to watch it for three months religiously. We will jump into scenes later, signpost more and use music beds where appropriate.”

Henderson added that BB will be given a “lightness of touch” not seen during its ten year run on Channel 4 to better reflect the demands of its new broadcaster.

“There is a perfect synthesis between the values that C5 has as a commercial channel and its outlook in terms of what its want from the show,” he said. “What Big Brother needs is the ability to enjoy itself without worrying too much about any ramifications that ultimately tie you in knots.”

Around 70% of the crew working on the latest series have previously worked on the format, which has given Endemol the confidence to make the changes.

“Big Brother is a massive machine that allows you to make a programme faster than you can think. But the problem with that machine is it will produce the same show again and again,” Henderson said. “The key is to have the right people with the intelligence and experience to say if we make a tweak, this will happen as a consequence, but the show will be better as a result.”

Henderson recognised that not all fans will appreciate the changes but said he was hopeful it will be seen as a “positive evolution.”

Mobile highlights

There will be no 24 hour live online feed of the events in the Big Brother house this year and video highlight clips will be available via mobile instead.

Henderson said the decision was taken because it “felt more appropriate” to allow people to interact and vote with the show using their phones.

Endemol chief executive Tim Hincks added it remained a unique digital proposition for broadcasters.

“Whereas before it was all about live streaming, now it’s about how viewers engage with it via social media,” Hincks said.

He added that each summer the show amasses an “extraordinary following” online and, after ten years, no other show shares its potential to be both a digital and TV proposition.

Hincks said that while rival reality shows such as The X Factor see huge amounts of online engagement, its live run was shorter than Big Brother’s

Chuck 16-08-2011 01:06 PM

"via mobile instead"

as if that's a fair replacement. :bored:

Callum 16-08-2011 01:07 PM

This is just sad. All excitement I had for this series has gone.

Patrick 16-08-2011 01:08 PM

'It seemed more appropriate not to have Live Feed to allow viewers to vote on their mobile phones instead'

No you cock, you mean it seemed more appropriate not to have live feed to allow you ******ing bastards to manipulate the show and turn it into a fake soap opera - you know what? ****** You!

This is horrible, I hope it ******ing fails on them now. :idc:

InOne 16-08-2011 01:09 PM

It does sound awful and exactly like BB11, maybe even worse :/

Jarrod 16-08-2011 01:11 PM

Fail much...?

Maia 16-08-2011 01:12 PM

Awful.

BigBrotherfan4ever 16-08-2011 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck.pass (Post 4471619)
"via mobile instead"

as if that's a fair replacement. :bored:

Totally agree, so if you've not got the right type of phone, you cant get involved, totally gutted about this .:bawling::bawling:

Chuck 16-08-2011 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick (Post 4471624)
I hope it ******ing fails on them now. :idc:

yeah I'm sure you do.

keithafc 16-08-2011 01:13 PM

Calm down. It will be like BB9.

Ryan. 16-08-2011 01:14 PM

Hmm it all sounds so different, but maybe this is what BB need to do to survive. I for one am gonna give it a chance!!

Who's with me??

starry 16-08-2011 01:15 PM

It sounds like CH5 are a bit full of themselves to think they can turn a show that has been going for 10 years into something that is quite different.

If they don't have any proper internet coverage they really are idiots.

You_Tell_Me 16-08-2011 01:18 PM

Big Brother seems like one of those shows that wouldn't attract many new viewers. Outside of the current fanbase people think the Big Brother brand is tired trash and wouldn't bother with it. By doing this soap opera crap all they are doing is making fans want to switch off. It's a shame because up until now they've generally got everything perfect. But now this seems to have killed everyones excitement. It seems all they are doing is trying to attract new fans but in exchange for losing the older ones. But I'll give it a go and hope I'm wrong and the show is not as trashy as they are making it sound. Fingers crossed! :)

daniel-lewis-1985 16-08-2011 01:18 PM

So are there no facebook updates or online vids then?????

BigBrotherfan4ever 16-08-2011 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starry (Post 4471640)
If they don't have any proper internet coverage they really are idiots.

This, i've just lost all my excitement for the show:mad::rolleyes::bawling:

happybbfan 16-08-2011 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daniel-lewis-1985 (Post 4471646)
So are there no facebook updates or online vids then?????

yes i noticed that too.i want to know when this interview/article was done with endomol and channel 5 too.

Ryan. 16-08-2011 01:22 PM

Also this hasn't told us anything worse than we already knew. It just means there will be "previously on BB" and coming up as well as the music and storyline flashbacks.

We need to enter the new generation to compete with TOWIE and tbh it will never be as bad as we all like to make it out to be.

Chuck 16-08-2011 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan. (Post 4471656)
Also this hasn't told us anything worse than we already knew.

This. :idc:

michael21 16-08-2011 01:34 PM

and there no live feed on any of channel 5 stations :bawling:

JohnnyBB 16-08-2011 01:37 PM

ill watch launch night then ill just try and carrying on as much as i can but im really going to suffer watching the normal housemates.

billy123 16-08-2011 01:50 PM

Dumbed down for jeremy kyle type spastics :(
I will watch the launch but they are going to have to be impressive to keep me interested now i havent missed a single highlight show since it began but im pretty ****ed off with what there doing im not sure i can be arsed with it anymore :bawling::bawling:

starry 16-08-2011 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan. (Post 4471656)
Also this hasn't told us anything worse than we already knew. It just means there will be "previously on BB" and coming up as well as the music and storyline flashbacks.

We need to enter the new generation to compete with TOWIE and tbh it will never be as bad as we all like to make it out to be.

It has it's own niche and doesn't have to compete with the trashier reality shows.

SillyTilly 16-08-2011 02:07 PM

Its a shame that there is no live feed but I don't think its the end of the world. I just hope that there website keeps us up to date and has plenty of videos on it.

daniel-lewis-1985 16-08-2011 02:10 PM

Just embrace it

oathbreaker 16-08-2011 02:11 PM

I find it so Ironic they talk about the Casual Viewers.Who lets be honest wont think twice about watching something else.

It was the loyal Fans kept the show sinking well below the 1 million mark in BB10.
IMO this has Epic Fail written all over it.but does prove one point Endemol are 100% to blame for all this Is anyone really shocked though?

We had the feed back last year only for 3-4 hours at a time of Josie gibson becoming one with the duvet.chances are endemol already know who they want to win BB12 and will edit that person in a manner to make sure that win is seen.God help the poor sods who still vote for this ???

If figures are low enough expect either a massive Midseries reboot (like they did with BB germany).tbh im glad I said goodbye to Bigbrother last year its a no brainer for me now.Torchwood it is and for me to say that......I dont like trashy soaps never have and sadly BB has just become another trashy Soap.:(