ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   BB13 (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=593)
-   -   Do you think children who've been bullied will be happy with BB rewardng bullying ? (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205136)

cfromhx02 30-06-2012 07:55 AM

Do you think children who've been bullied will be happy with BB rewardng bullying ?

I bet a lot of children who have been bullied and who have witnessed a programme designed around encouraging bullies to abuse those that can't defend themselves have been made to be really depressed by it.Most of society has always said bullying is wrong.But these children, a lot of them who have already been traumatized or suicidal through being bullied themselves at school, will now be more depressed and some may have tried to kill themselves (if anyone on here feels like killing themselves then please don't) all in the name of entertainment and trying to increase viewing numbers by controversy and profits for Channel 5 and Schwarzkopf etc.What a disgrace.

Think please think about the message that's being sent out by Big Brother it's saying that bullying is ok it's giving it a helping hand and it's rewarding it by allowing the cowards to pick on people who can't defend themselves to try and stay on the show.Do you really think that won't have an effect on kids who are already really depressed or suicidal through bullying who have seen what's gone on on BB

smartalec2718 30-06-2012 07:58 AM

Look everyone understands what you're saying but at this point you're beating a dead horse. You've made your point, now give it up.

fruit_cake 30-06-2012 08:18 AM

not really, it's not sending out a very good message they at the very least should have given him an official warning that was shown on television.

joeysteele 30-06-2012 08:24 AM

I haven't seen any bullying on BB, I have seen people not being nice and also being 'extremely rude' and 'very offensive' to and about other housemates,it happens in all BB series not just this one but housemates generally are able to stand up for themselves and BB deals with issues arising,we have been told by Emma that like Caroline,Conor is also on a formal warning.That is enough for me.

People being bullied are scared to stand up to the bully, however there is no one in the house who will not challenge another on issues arising as to them,so it really is near an insult in a way to call what is happening in the house bullying as people who are victims ofl genuine bullying,you usually find it causes massive distress to the person being bullied, often to where they cannot function properly.
Where is the evidence of that in the house OP, your threads on this simply do not stand up at all. Sorry to say that but they don't.

Bullies also anyway do not usually act where other people can see and hear them so it is even more ridiculous to say there are bullies in there with over a million people watching too.

joeysteele 30-06-2012 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fruit_cake (Post 5257643)
not really, it's not sending out a very good message they at the very least should have given him an official warning that was shown on television.

I definately agree with you there fruit_cake, they should have shown it, Emma assured us last night on bbbots that like Caroline,he 'is' on a formal warning.
I am satisfied with that.
Why they didn't show it is a bit of a mystery and as you say it should have been shown to the public.
We did see him told he had committed inappropriate behaviour/comments about a housemate so I thought it was clear he would be getting a formal warning.

I was glad Emma said that on bbbbots though. So he has a formal warning and anymore and he will be asked to leave the show, that's enough for me now on this issue.

realitytvsux 30-06-2012 08:39 AM

Am i being naive in thinking that this programme is not suitable for children in the first place? It sets a bad example on so many levels.

Livia 30-06-2012 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfromhx02 (Post 5257635)
I bet a lot of children who have been bullied and who have witnessed a programme designed around encouraging bullies to abuse those that can't defend themselves have been made to be really depressed by it..... etc etc etc...

Big Brother is not a children's show. I think the question should be, why are vulnerable children being allowed to watch a show that clearly is not for them.

fruit_cake 30-06-2012 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeysteele (Post 5257651)
I definately agree with you there fruit_cake, they should have shown it, Emma assured us last night on bbbots that like Caroline 'is' on a formal warning.
I am satisfied with that.
Why they didn't show it is a bit of a mystery and as you say it should have been shown to the public.
We did see him told he had committed inappropriate behaviour/comments about a housemate so I thought it was clear he would be getting a formal warning.

I was glad Emma said that on bbbbots though. So he has a formal warning and anymore and he will be asked to leave the show, that's enough for me now on this issue.

I agree Joey, it's probably enough for me too, you're right, there's no need to dwell on the issue anymore. It seems to have all subsided a bit now anyway, and Deana seems to be fine.

Redway 30-06-2012 09:00 AM

Everybody knows that Big Brother isn't a show for children, so if the children who have been bullied are unfortunate enough to have parents who simply can't be arsed monitoring what their children watch then it's up to them to get their act together.

I also object to your idea that bullying happens on a regular basis in the house. When something happens, the abusive housemate is always either given a warning or asked to leave - which totally contradicts and debases your own argument.

Gillian-73 30-06-2012 09:05 AM

Big brother is not a show suitable for children so your arguement is flimsy, to say the least!

saigon 30-06-2012 09:11 AM

They should be in bed, so there oppininions are invalid. Little ****s.

BBDodge 30-06-2012 09:13 AM

It's sad that Becky, who has probably been the victim of nasty comments and bullying behaviour, should be one of the housemates guilty of those same things towards Deana.

Redway 30-06-2012 09:16 AM

I can't help but feel that the OP wanted to create controversy and attention by dwelling on the events of this week yet again and thought there would be loads of pages on the topic, as (s)he mentioned children being bullied in the thread.

Redway 30-06-2012 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBDodge (Post 5257689)
It's sad that Becky, who has probably been the victim of nasty comments and bullying behaviour, should be one of the housemates guilty of those same things towards Deana.

Look, if you can't prove your statement with valid substantiation then you simply cannot make that claim. How do you know that Becky has probably been the victim of 'nasty comments and bullying behaviour'?

Kate! 30-06-2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redway (Post 5257680)
Everybody knows that Big Brother isn't a show for children, so if the children who have been bullied are unfortunate enough to have parents who simply can't be arsed monitoring what their children watch then it's up to them to get their act together.

I also object to your idea that bullying happens on a regular basis in the house. When something happens, the abusive housemate is always either given a warning or asked to leave - which totally contradicts and debases your own argument.

Yet again Redway talks complete sense. I've just quoted one post, but am agreeing with all of what he said in this thread. If irresponsible parents let their children watch any tv shows that are inappropriate then the buck stops with them. BB is on after the watershed, so meets the standards laid out.

OP, I'm cheesed off with all these threads of yours harping on. One gets closed and you make another!! If you feel like this, then stop watching. Any sympathy I had for your points of view and feelings has long since worn off, shame because I do agree about Conor etc, but he does have some fans on here too, its been done to death. He got a formal warning. End of. :bored:

Kazanne 30-06-2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redway (Post 5257696)
Look, if you can't prove your statement with valid substantiation then you simply cannot make that claim. How do you know that Becky has probably been the victim of 'nasty comments and bullying behaviour'?

Well looking at some of the comments on here it's fair to presume she has at least been a victim of nasty comments.

Redway 30-06-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *Kate* (Post 5257703)
Yet again Redway talks complete sense. I've just quoted one post, but am agreeing with all of what he said in this thread. If irresponsible parents let their children watch any tv shows that are inappropriate then the buck stops with them. BB is on after the watershed, so meets the standards laid out.

OP, I'm cheesed off with all these threads of yours harping on. One gets closed and you make another!! If you feel like this, then stop watching. Any sympathy I had for your points of view and feelings has long since worn off, shame because I do agree about Conor etc, but he does have some fans on here too, its been done to death. He got a formal warning. End of. :bored:

Thank you.
Quote:

Originally Posted by kazanne (Post 5257707)
Well looking at some of the comments on here it's fair to presume she has at least been a victim of nasty comments.

That is a very valid point and I respect that but everybody gets it at some point so surely if you can use Becky as an example you can use everyone else.

However. the forum rules do state that we are allowed to criticise housemates within reason (i.e. no death threats but mild insults are fine), so I wouldn't suggest that the criticism of Becky has been bullying, although there may have been unacceptable remarks of her that I haven't seen. If so, kudos to you there. :)

Kizzy 30-06-2012 10:22 AM

I have let my daughter watch since BB7 she is now 18, she loves BB as much as me it is repeated pre watershed so younger viewers can watch too.
All this cocooning of people has to stop, BB style groups and bullying begins at school, I actually see it as a positive that there is a way to see this behaviour in its purest form.

BB highlights not only overt bullying but manipulation and coersion, the latter is usually less obvious but in most cases does the most damage.
In most cases BB shows a lot of conflict resoloution, if there are rows in the house it will show how the issue was resolved, either by talking to BB or a friend in the house much the same as it would in life by discussing with a teacher /parent/partner/friend.
And those who break the rules are given a warning for specific rule breaking, as in life.

Those who take part all do so of their free will, and have been deemed competant enough to survive in such an intense environment.
I would go so far as to say BB could be used as a tool for those who are being bullied, to recognise it as it happens and the ways in which it can be dealt with.

Redway 30-06-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kizzy (Post 5257780)
I have let my daughter watch since BB7 she is now 18, she loves BB as much as me it is repeated pre watershed so younger viewers can watch too.
All this cocooning of people has to stop, BB style groups and bullying begins at school, I actually see it as a positive that there is a way to see this behaviour in its purest form.

BB highlights not only overt bullying but manipulation and coersion, the latter is usually less obvious but in most cases does the most damage.
In most cases BB shows a lot of conflict resoloution, if there are rows in the house it will show how the issue was resolved, either by talking to BB or a friend in the house much the same as it would in life by discussing with a teacher /parent/partner/friend.
And those who break the rules are given a warning for specific rule breaking, as in life.

Those who take part all do so of their free will, and have been deemed competant enough to survive in such an intense environment.
I would go so far as to say BB could be used as a tool for those who are being bullied, to recognise it as it happens and the ways in which it can be dealt with.

Insightful post but I still wouldn't let my children watch Big Brother. It's all right it not tolerating any form of bullying - and rightly so - but the little ones don't need to see people going in for a snog with someone else, smoking cigarettes or boozing until they drop. Bullying is only one aspect of the show in general and its suitability for children.

Kizzy 30-06-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redway (Post 5257788)
Insightful post but I still wouldn't let my children watch Big Brother. It's all right it not tolerating any form of bullying - and rightly so - but the little ones don't need to see people going in for a snog with someone else, smoking cigarettes or boozing until they drop. Bullying is only one aspect of the show in general and its suitability for children.

Oh and they never show that kind of behaviour on eastenders, corrie or hollyoaks?....
What about the simpsons?
Might as well chuck your telly out now redway :)

Redway 30-06-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kizzy (Post 5257812)
Oh and they never show that kind of behaviour on eastenders, corrie or hollyoaks?....
What about the simpsons?
Might as well chuck your telly out now redway :)

I never claimed that they don't show that sort of behaviour and I certainly wouldn't let my children watch any of what you have suggested until a decent age.

I'm not telling you how to run your home, though, so I apologise if my meaning was obscured and misunderstood. As long as they can distinguish not to act out every action on television they deem to be cool or acceptable. It all depends on the child's maturity levels.

MatthewS 30-06-2012 11:52 AM

wow. talk about a leading title...

Big Brother isn't rewarding bullying. Did you see Conor get brought into the Diary Room after what he said about Deana, and be given a giant cake or some sweets for a job well done? Because I missed that myself......

Kizzy 30-06-2012 11:59 AM

What age are you meaning redway preschoolers? haha
think 13/14 onwards fine, before that not sure the social cues would be picked up.

ElProximo 30-06-2012 02:59 PM

In some sense I get the idea. Whether it's Springer or Schwartz or C4 or anyone else. They have found the ultimate game. Take a the silliest and worst of the cattle, put them together and let them fight, bully and shame. Charge the rest of the cattle a few shekels to watch.
Having said that. Big Brother and Co are far harsher on 'bullying' than the general public or anywhere else. They often make a lesson out of the bullies. They may very well be guilty of 'setting scenarios' that a bully can take advantage of - but they will let the bully get their comeuppance too!
And then the voting public gets their disapproval.

Meanwhile, it will be nothing that a bunch of teens or young people will happily hang around neighbourhoods tomorrow (all over the UK) harassing people on their way to work, spitting, being obnoxious and nothing will be done about it. Nothing. Just goes on year after year after year.
Real 'bullying' is tolerated and even accommodated and goes unpunished thousands upon thousands of times year after year. Who's fault is that? Not Schwartz or C5 or BB.

Marcus. 30-06-2012 03:03 PM

no