ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Extreme Body Modifications : Right or Wrong? (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213450)

Livia 04-10-2012 11:12 AM

Extreme Body Modifications : Right or Wrong?

Quote:

Originally Posted by lostalex (Post 5525812)
MJ wasn't found innocent, he was found not guilty, there's a difference.

Innocent means it's been proven that someone didn't do something. Not Guilty just means there's not enough evidence to be found guilty under the law.

You don't have to be proven innocent. You are presumed innocent until you are found guilty. it's the prosecution's job to prove guilt, it is not the defence's job to prove innocence.

Michael Jackson was damaged, I don't think there's any doubt about that. I wonder why the surgeons who worked on the face of such a damaged individual have not been struck off.

lostalex 04-10-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Livia (Post 5525835)
You don't have to be proven innocent. You are presumed innocent until you are found guilty. it's the prosecution's job to prove guilt, it is not the defence's job to prove innocence.

Michael Jackson was damaged, I don't think there's any doubt about that. I wonder why the surgeons who worked on the face of such a damaged individual have not been struck off.

some people are proven innocent though. Legally the term Innocent is very different than Not Guilty, that's all i'm saying.

as far has his face, well he wanted to look that way. Should we also put tattoo artists who do face tattoos in jail? or those people who have 50 million piercings in their face? he wanted to look like Peter Pan from the Disney film.

Livia 04-10-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lostalex (Post 5525844)
some people are proven innocent though. Legally the term Innocent is very different than Not Guilty, that's all i'm saying.

as far has his face, well he wanted to look that way. Should we also put tattoo artists who do face tattoos in jail? or those people who have 50 million piercings in their face? he wanted to look like Peter Pan from the Disney film.

Juries cannot find defendents innocent. There is no such verdict they can return. 'Not guilty' can mean innocent, and it can mean it is not proven beyond resonable doubt... but the fact is, not guilty is not guilty.

He wanted his face to look that way, yes. But it's obvious isn't it, that he was a very damaged individual? I don't think surgeons acted professionally looking at the state his face was in by the time he died.

If someone wanted to get a tattoo, good for them. If they were clearly suffering a mental illness and wanted their whole face tattooed like a reptile, then I'd say someone has to say no.

lostalex 04-10-2012 12:29 PM

I don't have a problem with extreme body modification. Like those people who want to have limbs amputated, and they have to resort to extreme measures to get a doctor to do it I think it's sad. I don't see the difference between extreme body modification and transexuals. If it's okay to cut off your dick, why isn't it okay to cut off your leg? The paralympics proved that there's nothing wrong with having a disability.

Livia 04-10-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lostalex (Post 5525956)
I don't have a problem with extreme body modification. Like those people who want to have limbs amputated, and they have to resort to extreme measures to get a doctor to do it I think it's sad. I don't see the difference between extreme body modification and transexuals. If it's okay to cut off your dick, why isn't it okay to cut off your leg? The paralympics proved that there's nothing wrong with having a disability.

Ohhh I have a bit of a problem with that. Extreme body modification is, in my opinion, a massive, flag-waving sign of a profound underlying psychological problem... I don't think it's the same as being transexual where you cut off your dick in order to become a woman, you don't just cut it off because you fancy cutting it off.

LOL... how did we get there? The conversation's gone off at an alarming tangent!

lostalex 04-10-2012 12:55 PM

a better question is how did it become a thread? lol

who is responsible for this witchcraft?

Livia 04-10-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lostalex (Post 5525988)

How did it become a thread that looks like it's been made by me?! I have three threads to my credit in my whole life but have actually only ever started one!

Niamh. 04-10-2012 12:58 PM

I moved your posts to a new thread and whoever posted the first one becomes the Thread starter

Livia 04-10-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Our resident sorceress... She Who Shall Not Be Niamhed.

Vanessa 04-10-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

:joker:

lostalex 04-10-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Livia (Post 5525971)
Ohhh I have a bit of a problem with that. Extreme body modification is, in my opinion, a massive, flag-waving sign of a profound underlying psychological problem... I don't think it's the same as being transexual where you cut off your dick in order to become a woman, you don't just cut it off because you fancy cutting it off.

the same is true of people with other body dysmorphic problems. People don't just cut off their legs or arms on a whim. I've seen documentaries about people with that problem, and it is very similar to being transgendered from what i've seen.

Livia 04-10-2012 01:02 PM

Seriously... you don't think that's worrying? If my brother or someone close to me wanted to cut off their leg I'd be beside myself with worry about them. I'm all for stepping out of line as far as normality is concerned, but that just seems weird. It'd be like blinding yourself.

lostalex 04-10-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Livia (Post 5526000)
Seriously... you don't think that's worrying? If my brother or someone close to me wanted to cut off their leg I'd be beside myself with worry about them. I'm all for stepping out of line as far as normality is concerned, but that just seems weird. It'd be like blinding yourself.

I agree that it is worrying, but i also accept that i can't understand certain things. And i think when people are willing to do it anyway, without a doctor, and not in a safe way, they should have an alternative and be able to to do in a safe environment. I think there should be a pathway for them, and have the same kind of guidance that transexuals have, where they are forced to go through certain counceling, and live that way for a year before the surgery, there are lots of ways to help these people instead of just shutting them out. i think it would be better to reach out to these people and offer them hope instead of just writing them off as crazy.

I think our bodies are very important, and a HUGE part of our identity is in our physical bodies. I think it's not okay to just say "it's all in your mind" even thought we live in a world where physical appearancee is VERY important. We let people break their noses in nose jobs every day, i've seen the surgery it's very violent. BUt because we think they are going for what looks beautifult o us, we donm't have a problem with it. Stuffing your tits with plastic is routine now.

You're physical appearance affects everything, your self confidence, your employment opportunities, your ability to find a partner. We can't pretend that physical appearance is not important to people. But we can't only allow people to do extreme body modification if it's something that fits into pop culture.

Was Michael Jackson's plastic surgery any more grotesque than Pamela Anderson's surgery? i don't think so.

Livia 04-10-2012 01:13 PM

I agree about the counselling. And I do, in my shallow way, think they are a bit crazy... but I think what they need is help to overcome what they're going through. I think changing from a man to a woman, or vice versa, is going to improve the life of a person who believes they were born in the wrong body. Having your leg cut off or your arm cut off isn't going to do anything to improve your life, surely. It's hard for me to get my head around it.