ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   How often do you see Politcal Ads in the UK? What Do You think of them? (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215005)

BBfanUSA 04-11-2012 09:09 PM

How often do you see Politcal Ads in the UK? What Do You think of them?

I live in America and it's almost election time over here. So political ads are abundant right now (Like vote for candidate A because he'll do this, don't vote for B because he'll kill your first born child). I see it in the newspaper ads, TV ads,hear it on the Radio, anything mediawise.

I dunno how bad it is in the UK but since I live in a Swing State where all 6 of our electoral college votes are apparently prized. (Iowa) I get ads almost 24/7, it's really *******ing annoying.

What do you think of them, Do you see them as necessary or not?

King Gizzard 04-11-2012 09:10 PM

Meh..not too many..usually each party gets one each election? (that's alot of different parties) I don't know

We don't really have debates either, last time was the first time we had them and they were quite poor

MTVN 04-11-2012 09:11 PM

We don't really have the same way America does with Super PACs and the really dramatic ads, it's way more regulated here and there's a lot more limits. The only thing we really have is 5 minute party election broadcasts near elections, David Cameron spoke about this on Letterman and they all cheered him when he said how our advertising system was different

BBfanUSA 04-11-2012 09:14 PM

Huh, that's way better than what we have. I thought it was in other countries as well. About the Super PACs, that was recently allowed in the last two or three years.

MTVN 04-11-2012 09:15 PM

At about 16 minutes here

Parties aren't actually allowed to advertise on TV, and he was only allowed to spend $150,000 on his Prime Minister campaign

Scarlett. 04-11-2012 09:21 PM

We don't get political ads really, we have pre scheduled five minute promos for the parties, these arent sprung on viewers at random either, they usually are marked in the TV guides and they're not on every day, and if they are on, they will only be one once a day.

Kizzy 04-11-2012 09:31 PM

We have PM's questions, that is sooooo funny the PM and the leader of the opposition just rip the **** out of each other for about an hour :D

joeysteele 04-11-2012 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kizzy (Post 5589368)
We have PM's questions, that is sooooo funny the PM and the leader of the opposition just rip the **** out of each other for about an hour :D

This is the one thing I hoped would improve when David Cameron became PM, however it has stayed the same and in fact at times got worse.
How sad to see the 2 most Important leaders of Political parties in the UK acting like fools and so childish all the time for this period.

I have yet to hear a PM answer a question properly and yet to also learn anything of significance from this tit for tat nonsense that goes on.
I do agree it can be really funny to watch though.

What the rest of the World makes of all the silliness is worrying to imagine.

Kizzy 04-11-2012 10:47 PM

Haha too right joey, mind you those presidential debates do look a bit like a round on mock the week. :)

waterhog 05-11-2012 08:24 AM

every time i i see a MP on the tv doing a broadcast i can tell straight away when they start lieing - its as soon as they open there mouth to speak. gone right off politics and lost all faith in it at present.

Nedusa 05-11-2012 09:54 AM

Political parties in the UK are not allowed to advertise openly like in the US and a lot of other countries. They are allowed however to have short 5-10 min Party Political Broadcasts where they can try and outline their forthcoming election manifesto's.

Blatant advertising by politicians would be tantamount to lying on a grand scale, so perhaps it's for the best.

Marc 05-11-2012 09:55 AM

On sky mostly, but it's always in the news

MTVN 05-11-2012 12:38 PM

Some of the American ads are pretty cool though, I remember Mike Huckabee's one from 2008

"My plan to secure the border? Two words: Chuck Norris"