ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Nasa plans to lasso asteroid and land on it... (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223294)

Ammi 06-04-2013 09:15 AM

Nasa plans to lasso asteroid and land on it...

http://media.skynews.com/media/image...-1-522x293.png

A US senator has said Nasa plans to use a robotic spaceship to lasso an asteroid and park it near the Moon for astronauts to explore.

Bill Nelson, chairman of the Senate Science and Space Subcommittee, said the 550-ton space rock could be snatched in 2019.

Local television channel News 13 said that once it had been dragged into a stable orbit, astronauts on board the Orion capsule would mine the rock to learn more about its composition.

It is hoped that four astronauts would nuzzle up next to the rock for spacewalking exploration by 2021, according to a government document.

Donald Yeomans, who leads Nasa's Near Earth Object programme, explained that the asteroid would be captured with the space equivalent of "a baggie with a drawstring".

"You bag it. You attach the solar propulsion module to de-spin it and bring it back to where you want it."

The asteroid would provide scientists with a "unique, meaningful and affordable" destination for the next decade, Senator Nelson was quoted as saying by Florida Today.

Mr Nelson, who represents Florida, told the newspaper that President Barack Obama will put aside $100m (£65m) in planning money for the mission, when the White House unveils its 2014 budget next week.

He said the project would help Nasa defend Earth from a potentially devastating asteroid strike in the future.

It could also help scientists test technologies that could one day be used in a manned mission to Mars.

Last year, the Keck Institute for Space Studies proposed a similar mission for Nasa with a price tag of $2.6 billion. However, the space agency has not yet revealed an estimated cost.

In a separate project, announced in January, US company Deep Space Industries said it planned to send a fleet of spacecraft into the solar system to mine asteroids for metals and minerals.

The first mission could be flown in 2015, with each journey lasting up to six months

Jesus. 06-04-2013 09:20 AM

http://jpegy.com/images/uploads/2012...science-is.jpg

Marc 06-04-2013 09:27 AM

All this space crap. Spend the money on me instead

DDRickyDD 06-04-2013 04:20 PM

It looks too risky. They should leave it alone.

joeysteele 06-04-2013 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DDRickyDD (Post 5923248)
It looks too risky. They should leave it alone.

I agree with you, sounds way too risky.

Shaun 06-04-2013 09:47 PM

I don't think they'd plan it without it being safe. I imagine the risks are similar to those of the Large Hadron Collider: incredibly slim, but rather large

Niall 06-04-2013 10:36 PM

It's a good idea. I think there needs to be much more effort put into the progression of space technology anyway.

It's amazing to think that a company is planning to send a fleet of spaceships to mine asteroids though. That sort of talk is usually stuff reserved for science fiction.

Niall 06-04-2013 10:37 PM

I would rather though that there be some sort of supranational authority that conducts space operations. It would allow so much more co-operation, and funding to go into these sort of projects With pooled resources like that they could probably be achieved much faster I imagine.

GypsyGoth 06-04-2013 11:01 PM

NASA should stop smoking marijuana.

lostalex 07-04-2013 01:49 AM

NASA is soooo much better than every other Space Agency in the world. Wtf has ESA done LATELY?

lostalex 07-04-2013 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niall (Post 5924004)
I would rather though that there be some sort of supranational authority that conducts space operations. It would allow so much more co-operation, and funding to go into these sort of projects With pooled resources like that they could probably be achieved much faster I imagine.

yea that would be nice wouldn't it. if the restof the world paid their bills, but they don't. they all like to say "ohh, MAN landed on the moon, or look what HUMANITY has achieved".

No bitches :nono: , America did that, not "the world", not "humanity", AMERICA did that. Get it right.

lostalex 07-04-2013 01:57 AM

It annoys the Sh*t out of me when i hear people from other countries say things like when "WE" landed on the moon. I'm like ummmm, "we"??? there was no "we" YOU did not land on the moon, there'fore there is no "we".

It really does annoy the piss out of me when i hear Brits or Australians or Canadians say when "we" landed on the moon. YOU did not land on the moon motha*****ers, there is no "we".

Kizzy 07-04-2013 02:03 AM

Alright alex, chill out, I thought it was the russians...:joker:

lostalex 07-04-2013 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 5924268)
Alright alex, chill out, I thought it was the russians...:joker:

You know how sensitive I am Kizzy. :blush2:

Kizzy 07-04-2013 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lostalex (Post 5924273)
You know how sensitive I am Kizzy. :blush2:

Spirited.. I prefer the term spirited alex :)