ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Chat and Games (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Do you do anything for charity? (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226048)

Benjamin 10-06-2013 12:05 PM

Do you do anything for charity?

Not just donating money, anyone can do that, but I mean like volunteer work or money raising events?

Drew. 10-06-2013 12:08 PM

only really giving away clothes that iv grown out of

MattySlug 10-06-2013 12:10 PM

Buying Lots and lots of stuff from Op Shops

Marc 10-06-2013 12:11 PM

Give clothing, money. Give blood.. I guess people who are in need of blood are charity in some way!

Ammi 10-06-2013 12:14 PM

..lots of things, mostly through work but lots of participating events...

sooty 11-06-2013 10:50 PM

I am thinking of doing some volunteer work.

I have not decided what to do yet.

HD 11-06-2013 10:57 PM

nothing

GiRTh 11-06-2013 10:57 PM

I work for a charity.

Alf 12-06-2013 12:10 AM

I once shaved my hair off for charity
It turned out they would have preferred money

Z 12-06-2013 12:11 AM

No.

Fetch The Bolt Cutters 12-06-2013 12:14 AM

no bye

lostalex 12-06-2013 12:16 AM

I am a constant source of light and love.

What more do you want from me? :shrug:

Kizzy 12-06-2013 12:17 AM

Alright zee... you don't have to go on about it!
I don't apart from donating and sponsoring others no, I do feel I could do more for charities close to my heart.

lostalex 12-06-2013 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GiRTh (Post 6053401)
I work for a charity.

so... you take money that was donated to a charity and use it to pay your bills? is that what you're saying? hmmmm. :suspect:

the truth 12-06-2013 12:21 AM

ive done a fair bit over the years but bcame disillusioned after a few years.....I actually had legal threats from some charities who somehow believed I was legally obliged to continue giving them momeny for a childrens charity year after year?
I don't believe in charity really as ultimately we should all be legally forced to pay a fair proportion of tax and that money should see the most needy people prioritised
of course the reality is corporations literally get away with daylight robbery every day, whereas the little man is spied on with a magnifying glass

Z 12-06-2013 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 6053570)
Alright zee... you don't have to go on about it!
I don't apart from donating and sponsoring others no, I do feel I could do more for charities close to my heart.

:laugh:

Well, I donate to causes if a close friend is doing something for one, but Ben specified that that doesn't count, and to be honest I only do it if it's a good friend and they're doing it for a good reason. For example, my friend's dad passed away after fighting cancer for years, and they were raising money for the hospice that looked after him towards the end of his life because that's what he wanted rather than people spending money on flowers or anything like that.

Maybe I'm just an awful human being, but there are certain types of people who are constantly doing charity fundraisers and I feel like it takes the shine off of the whole experience when there are people doing it all the time... if you're going to run a marathon, run a marathon, don't expect me to sponsor you because you're doing something you wanted to do... but if you're raising money for a cancer charity because you lost your mum to cancer and she was really into her running but you were always hopeless at it and you've decided to train for running one in her memory, then I'm all for donating money to you. Is it just me? I dunno.

GiRTh 12-06-2013 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lostalex (Post 6053574)
so... you take money that was donated to a charity and use it to pay your bills? is that what you're saying? hmmmm. :suspect:

Most of our money comes either from the National Lottery or the government/local council. We dont have vendors in the street asking for change. Is that what you're trying to imply?

lostalex 12-06-2013 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GiRTh (Post 6053591)
Most of our money comes either from the National Lottery or the government/local council. We dont have vendors in the street asking for change. Is that what you're trying to imply?

no, i'm just saying, money intended for CHARITY is paying your bills. right? It's not really CHARITY if you're getting paid is my only point. That's a JOB, not charity.

Am I way off base here?

GiRTh 12-06-2013 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lostalex (Post 6053624)
no, i'm just saying, money intended for CHARITY is paying your bills. right? It's not really CHARITY if you're getting paid is my only point. That's a JOB, not charity.

Am I way off base here?

Yes. Its a job. :thumbs:

GypsyGoth 12-06-2013 12:51 AM

I don't see myself in a position to help others at the moment.

I do buy stuff from charity stores, that's about it.

Harry! 12-06-2013 07:02 PM

Not so much a charity as such but I volunteer at my local community centre in the gardens one day a week.