ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   BB14 (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=620)
-   -   For Jemima: a dictionary definition of 'death' (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227949)

MilkMaid 25-06-2013 10:20 PM

For Jemima: a dictionary definition of 'death'

death [deth] (noun) 1. the act of dying; the end of life; the total and permanent cessation of all the vital functions of an organism.

Dan is generally pompous and pious and Jemima isn't a racist BUT tonight he was right and she was really annoying!

GypsyGoth 25-06-2013 10:21 PM

:laugh2:

Me. I Am Salman 25-06-2013 10:22 PM

People can die for a moment and be resuscitated

fingers 25-06-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salman! (Post 6104721)

That is not death.

JTM45 25-06-2013 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salman! (Post 6104721)

They cannot, clearly!
Death is not a short term or temporary thing, unless you're a Zombie!!!:hugesmile:

Me. I Am Salman 25-06-2013 10:24 PM

Well Jemima clearly thought otherwise, and I've certainly heard that phrase being used before..

smudgie 25-06-2013 10:25 PM

Sounds like tne daughter could have had a febrile fit.
Sounds like the mother had a hissy fit.

Marsh. 25-06-2013 10:25 PM

She knows that she just wanted a completely unrelated conversation to suddenly be about her.

"****, I'm up for eviction, blah blah blah blah MY DAUGHTER DIED!!!!"

:eek:

"Urgh, and then she wasn't."

:nono:

KingOfTheMods 25-06-2013 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salman! (Post 6104731)
Well Jemima clearly thought otherwise, and I've certainly heard that phrase being used before..

Jemima's clearly a twat who thinks all her life experiences are significantly more important and traumatic than other people's. Eff her. Eff everybody.

Withano 25-06-2013 10:29 PM

When I breathe in underwater, am I dead?

Blue Cadillac 25-06-2013 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MilkMaid (Post 6104695)
death [deth] (noun) 1. the act of dying; the end of life; the total and permanent cessation of all the vital functions of an organism.

Dan is generally pompous and pious and Jemima isn't a racist BUT tonight he was right and she was really annoying!

Couldn't agree more.

Amy Jade 25-06-2013 10:34 PM

You can die and be revived.

Blue Cadillac 25-06-2013 10:36 PM

Death is permanent. If you're revived, it's no longer permanent.

MilkMaid 25-06-2013 10:36 PM

We should probably remember that Jemima originally said her daughter had died in retaliation to Jackie talking about Charlie's grandmother dying in front of her. Unless I'm mistaken, the grandmother has not done a Lazarus, so it was hardly a like-for-like comparison.

Also note that Jemima only mentioned that her daughter's "death" was a temporary thing after a few minutes of one-upmanship! She was quite happy to give the impression that it was the usual version, ie, permanent, presumably for dramatic effect.

Let's be honest, most people when told that someone had died would not expect to have them round for dinner the next week. Unless you're into some very weird stuff...

MTVN 25-06-2013 10:37 PM

You can be named 'clinically dead' and then revived so Jemima wasn't enitrely wrong, but the way she talked about it gave the impression that her daughter had completely passed away

JTM45 25-06-2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StupidHoe (Post 6104802)
You can die and be revived.

You CANNOT!!!!!!
Death is permanent. You cannot die for a short period of time!

Amy Jade 25-06-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTM45 (Post 6104824)
You CANNOT!!!!!!
Death is permanent. You cannot die for a short period of time!

Yes you can.

Blue Cadillac 25-06-2013 10:49 PM

I found this, if it helps:

"Death was historically believed to be an event that coincided with the onset of clinical death. It is now understood that death is a series of physical events, not a single one, and determination of permanent death is dependent on other factors beyond simple cessation of breathing and heartbeat".

Since Jemima's daughter was described as having stopped breathing, one could argue that permanent death had not taken place, and that it was more the case that she'd stopped breathing, but other physical events had not occurred in order to determine death.

cookiemonster 25-06-2013 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StupidHoe (Post 6104834)
Yes you can.

not really. it's called stopped breathing. if they never regain consciousness then they've died

Annemarie 25-06-2013 10:59 PM

To jemima

Jemima you are not in junior school don't dramatize and make competitions out of yeah well my daughter died beat that! How pathetically childish!.

Vicky. 25-06-2013 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTVN (Post 6104823)
You can be named 'clinically dead' and then revived so Jemima wasn't enitrely wrong, but the way she talked about it gave the impression that her daughter had completely passed away

This.

fingers 25-06-2013 11:11 PM

The difference between clinical death and biological death is small: just a few crucial minutes, in fact. Clinical death is the point at which a person's heart stops beating. At that time, breathing and blood circulation stop. Biological death occurs some four to six minutes later, when the brain cells die from lack of oxygen.

When brain death occurs, all neurological functions irreversibly cease. The brain simply cannot survive for very long without oxygen. When oxygen is withheld beyond that six-minute threshold, brain death is the result. The reason the brain-death clock starts ticking down once the heart stops is because cardiac activity is the whole ballgame for our bodies, and brains. When the heart stops, oxygen cannot be transported to the brain and the brain dies from lack of it. The legal time of death is noted at the moment in which a doctor determines that a patient's entire brain has ceased to function.

It's still possible to resuscitate a person who has undergone clinical death and keep them alive by artificial means of life support, such as a respirator. However, when biological death has been established and the brain has been too long deprived of oxygen, resuscitation is impossible. Often, at that point, another clock starts ticking away in the background: the clock for organ donation. :wavey:

Amy Jade 25-06-2013 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookiemonster (Post 6104924)
not really. it's called stopped breathing. if they never regain consciousness then they've died

Yes, you really can.

BigSister 25-06-2013 11:31 PM

haha I knew someone would make a thread out of this and jemama was really annoying me tonight

rionablue 25-06-2013 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MilkMaid (Post 6104814)
We should probably remember that Jemima originally said her daughter had died in retaliation to Jackie talking about Charlie's grandmother dying in front of her. Unless I'm mistaken, the grandmother has not done a Lazarus, so it was hardly a like-for-like comparison.

Also note that Jemima only mentioned that her daughter's "death" was a temporary thing after a few minutes of one-upmanship! She was quite happy to give the impression that it was the usual version, ie, permanent, presumably for dramatic effect.

Let's be honest, most people when told that someone had died would not expect to have them round for dinner the next week. Unless you're into some very weird stuff...

I totally agree MilkMaid. Well said :hugesmile: