ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   CBB12 (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=624)
-   -   People saying BB is not a social experiment anymore (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236324)

daniel-lewis-1985 25-08-2013 11:11 PM

People saying BB is not a social experiment anymore

Its due to the public.

The public truly have it in for BB and are often just waiting for an excuse to complain.

A social experiment is leaving the housemates talk about controvercial issues such as race, sexual orientation, religion, homophobia, sexism.....

Back in the day BB would only interfere if it got to out of hand, not froma simple comment.

Take BB1 Nasty Nick he wasn't even given a warning for saying gays were the same as child molesters instead Big Brother left it to the housemates to totally own him making him look the fool and Anna who dominated the debate even got an invite to George Michaels house as a thanks.

Its now 2013 and the housemates are no longer allowed to do this.

BB should not interfere unless it gets to the point that person is feeling intimidated or is becoming totally offensive to viewers.

In 13 years you would think times would move on but unfortunately people seem to love targeting BB.

Charlotte pisses herself and ****s on Geordie Shore but its seen as ok.

I think the public are the ones losing out because if housemates were left to discuss proper issues and allowed to discuss their opinions then that gets people talking about it in society aswel.

BB opened the doors for it to be ok to ask taboo questions when out with a group of people but now its broken we are all treading on egg shells.

BB broke the mold but is now under the constant eye of Ofcom.

Kind of ironic.

BB is no longer watching you its them who are currently being watched 24/7.

Northern Monkey 25-08-2013 11:21 PM

I agree 100%.Gone are the days when the freedom to discuss important issues openly were here.I fully believe that in 30 or so years time,People will look back and ridicule our era as being oppressive to our rights to free speech due to political correctness.BB is on well after the watershed,They should'nt feel the need to baby sit us.

Toy Soldier 25-08-2013 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeballPaul (Post 6332347)
I agree 100%.Gone are the days when the freedom to discuss important issues openly were here.I fully believe that in 30 or so years time,People will look back and ridicule our era as being oppressive to our rights to free speech due to political correctness.BB is on well after the watershed,They should'nt feel the need to baby sit us.

That's a bit optimistic, if you take a look at out current political situation. In 30 years time you'll be craving the freedoms you had in good old 2013. Or more like, 2007/2008 I guess. They're already going.

Pincho Paxton 25-08-2013 11:45 PM

You don't have to say "It's a social experiment!" for it to be a social experiment. If it's in a goldfish bowl, for several weeks on TV, it's a social experiment.

Kizzy 26-08-2013 12:13 AM

It's not a social experiment at all anymore, the thought police are always there waiting to pounce on anyone who doesn't have a degree in socially acceptable dialogue.
Never before has life imitated art so obviously.

CaudleHalbard 26-08-2013 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daniel-lewis-1985 (Post 6332291)
People saying BB is not a social experiment anymore.

Of course it isn't.......... and hasn't been for many years.

So what? It's an entertainment gameshow.

Marsh. 26-08-2013 01:03 AM

Even if BB left them alone they don't put many people in capable of such debate or mature discussion.

Kizzy 26-08-2013 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 08marsh (Post 6332760)
Even if BB left them alone they don't put many people in capable of such debate or mature discussion.

good point :joker::joker:

Marsh. 26-08-2013 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 6332766)
good point :joker::joker:

Imagine Charlie "yeah....hmmm....yeah..yeah...yeah...hmmm...." :laugh:

Northern Monkey 26-08-2013 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 6332444)
That's a bit optimistic, if you take a look at out current political situation. In 30 years time you'll be craving the freedoms you had in good old 2013. Or more like, 2007/2008 I guess. They're already going.

Things change over the years though,We could see a U-turn,I think we are still trying to find our feet with multiculturelism,Hence all this over sensitivity to everything that could possibly be found offensive to somebody somewhere.I think that once we are comfortable in our own skin with all the changes we are going through socially,We will all be much more laid back and freer to discuss any issues that present themselves and be able to once again joke about ourselves and each other without being demonised and branded racist,homophobic,xenophobic.....etc

Gillian-73 26-08-2013 07:57 AM

Great post Daniel

cfromhx02 26-08-2013 07:59 AM

The strongest housemates seem to always get voted off first, then it leaves the nasties and they are able to bully and pick on the good ones left as they are forced to keep quiet to not be bullied and voted off themselves until near the end when the rest vote and make sure someone good wins, that's the way BB works.Have no one realised with all the criticism BB gets for backing nasties and for helping those with no talent become famous that the way to stop the criticism and increase ratings is to keep the good loud ones in to teach nasties a lesson and only have people with talent on the show ?

arista 26-08-2013 10:15 AM

Its still the same
you put people in they fight
its normal

Kizzy 26-08-2013 10:25 AM

It's nothing like it should be, however with the Jade backlash following her unchallenged comments I doubt that they would risk that ever occurring again.
But where do you draw the line, who decides what is and is not acceptable?

ahopkins 26-08-2013 10:31 AM

I don't think Big Brother was ever a social experiment. It was signed up by Channel 4 producers who knew that they could get a cheap TV programme that can fill up a chunk of the schedule and getting insanely high TV ratings.
This isn't criticising Big Brother. I'm saying that it is a stroke of genius!

If it was a real social experiment then it would go on for a year like the original idea, there would be no highlights episodes that just happen to be in prime time slots, No spin-off shows. No eviction, no host, No voting. You get the point!

daniel-lewis-1985 26-08-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahopkins (Post 6333250)
I don't think Big Brother was ever a social experiment. It was signed up by Channel 4 producers who knew that they could get a cheap TV programme that can fill up a chunk of the schedule and getting insanely high TV ratings.
This isn't criticising Big Brother. I'm saying that it is a stroke of genius!

If it was a real social experiment then it would go on for a year like the original idea, there would be no highlights episodes that just happen to be in prime time slots, No spin-off shows. No eviction, no host, No voting. You get the point!

That's why they broadcast it at 11pm?

They didn't know how big ther show was going to be.

The 1st BB is in every way a social experiment.....Did you watch it?