ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Paedophiles should be allowed to adopt?... (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246875)

Kizzy 20-02-2014 06:15 AM

Paedophiles should be allowed to adopt?...

Story in todays Telegraph,

'Helen Reece, a reader in law at the London School of Economics, called on Theresa May, the Home Secretary, to relax rules which automatically ban sex offenders from caring for children, saying that this could breach their human rights.'

"There is no reason why all sex offenders should not be considered as potentially suitable to adopt or foster children, or work with them.

“The Vetting and Barring Scheme and other legislative measures single out sex offenders for unfair special treatment and they destroy the principle that a prisoner pays his or her debt by serving their sentence before re-entering society on equal terms.”

Individuals are placed on the “Barred List” and banned from working with youngsters or vulnerable adults if they are convicted of a sexual or violent offence, or one involving the mistreatment of a child.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...-May-told.html

lostalex 20-02-2014 06:23 AM

if this is a question then, umm.. NO, obviously. they shouldn't be allowed to have biological children either.

Jake. 20-02-2014 06:23 AM

They shouldn't be allowed near any child, ever. How ridiculous...

lostalex 20-02-2014 06:25 AM

they should be sent to live in an african village, and let the africans do what they will to them.

AnnieK 20-02-2014 06:37 AM

When I was looking into adoption, a couple at the meetings had been told they couldn't adopt because they guy had an assault conviction for a drunken bar fight years before. I thought that was a little unfair, it was many years before and a one off, nothing to do with children (he actually had children from a previous relationship). They were gutted that that one mistake meant they couldn't give a child a warm loving home.

Anyone with previous records against children obviously should be a definite NO

Ammi 20-02-2014 06:43 AM

She highlighted the case of a grandfather with a conviction for having sex with a 15-year-old dating back to when he was 29, who was refused permission to adopt his own grandchildren

..so she's not saying paedophiles as such, just that there are flaws in the barring list atm..?..

Nedusa 20-02-2014 07:35 AM

The list or criterion for adoption has got tougher over the years as more stringent demands are made on any potential adopters.

I'm no expert in this field but I'm fairly sure NOT being a Paedophile must by pretty high on the list...

What nonsense.....!!!!

Kizzy 20-02-2014 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ammi (Post 6722198)
She highlighted the case of a grandfather with a conviction for having sex with a 15-year-old dating back to when he was 29, who was refused permission to adopt his own grandchildren

..so she's not saying paedophiles as such, just that there are flaws in the barring list atm..?..

She is saying this...
'Miss Reece suggested that the review should also introduce an assumption that sex offenders including child abusers posed no threat once they had served their sentence.'

'Comparing sex offenders to cohabiting couples, she suggested that if blanket bans on the former were allowed, it would make sense to bar those who were not married from adopting because parents who were wed were less likely to separate with harmful consequences for the child.'

And I disagree.

thesheriff443 20-02-2014 08:25 AM

we don't get to choose our parents but in the case of adoption we get to choose who should be parents, common sense, would say no to sex offenders, but like in life, people don't come with a life time guarantee.

Ammi 20-02-2014 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 6722225)
She is saying this...
'Miss Reece suggested that the review should also introduce an assumption that sex offenders including child abusers posed no threat once they had served their sentence.'

'Comparing sex offenders to cohabiting couples, she suggested that if blanket bans on the former were allowed, it would make sense to bar those who were not married from adopting because parents who were wed were less likely to separate with harmful consequences for the child.'

And I disagree.

..so far as paedophiles and child abusers are concerned, I doubt her views would be even taken seriously, I hope they wouldn't but in the case of the grandfather, it would appear without knowing the exact facts that he was convicted of statuary rape a long time ago perhaps... and if that's the case and having been convicted of it, and now looking to care for his grandchildren, I do think that's something that should/could be looked at...so I do see her 'blanket scenario' from that point of view...

LeatherTrumpet 20-02-2014 09:53 AM

Really?

Has this woman and the adoption process not got better things to do

ffs

Cherie 20-02-2014 11:06 AM

this is taking human rights to a whole new ridiculous level, what about the childs human right to innocence and a childhood. Honsestly what is wrong her her.

lostalex 20-02-2014 11:10 AM

imo, when it comes to this issue, it should be 1 strike and you're out.

no ifs ands or butts(no pun intended) you touch a kid, that's it, game over.

Niamh. 20-02-2014 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lostalex (Post 6722360)
imo, when it comes to this issue, it should be 1 strike and your out.

I tend to agree with that actually. You can't be too careful when it comes to kids

Toy Soldier 20-02-2014 11:43 AM

It's a bit more complicated than is being made out as its specifically referring to sex offenses - not paedophiles - anyone suggesting otherwise is just stirring up hysteria. Of course child molesters, abusers and paedophiles shouldn't be able to adopt.

However she specifically talks about someone having sex with a verbally consenting 15 year old who was probably charged with statutory rape, which is the right charge. Its statutory rape. Its not child molestation, and its definitely not paedophilia, despite what the mainstream media would like you to believe. For reference, paedophilia is having sexual impulses towards prepubescent children (whether theyre acted upon or not). Child molestation is acting on those impulses. It has nothing to do with age of consent. nevertheless, statutory rape is considered a sex offense and think about this scenario:

A just-turned-18 boy could engage in consensual sexual activity with his almost-but-not-quite 16 year old girlfriend and her parents could feasibly push for charges of statutory rape. Is it right that 10 or 20 years down the line this man, who has arguably done nothing wrong and is certainly not a danger to children, should be "blanket" blocked from even being considered as an adoptive parent?

Its about common sense, surely. No one is saying that they MUST be allowed to adopt, only that they should be eligible to be considered. Anyone who is a risk to children will obviously be rejected. Not all people with criminal records for minor sex offenses are a danger to children.

Saph 20-02-2014 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lostalex (Post 6722182)
they should be sent to live in an african village, and let the africans do what they will to them.

:joker: [IMG]http://www.breatheheavy.com/exhale/public/style_emoticons/default/***********[/IMG]

Jesus. 20-02-2014 12:30 PM

You can be a 16yr old boy who's had sex with his 15yr old long term girlfriend, and still be classed as a sex offender, and placed on the register. So some discretion wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, but no doubt this issue will be blown up in the media, and the daily mail will run an exclusive about Romanian paedo's being flown over specifically to look after our innocent children.

Tom4784 20-02-2014 12:52 PM

I think the law should be relaxed in some cases such as that of Annie's story about the couple being unable to adopt due to a one off assault charge from yonder years ago. I also have sympathy for the Grandfather being unable to adopt his own children because of a one off mistake from an age ago.

A criminal record shouldn't be as damning as it generally is, what should be important is if the person in question has re-offended since. Everyone makes mistakes, punching someone ages ago shouldn't prevent a person from giving a child a loving home.

Z 20-02-2014 08:10 PM

Clearly half the people in this thread didn't actually read what was said beyond the title... I agree with her, the law is deeply flawed. Nobody's saying repeat offenders should be allowed access to children; but not all sex offenders are twisted monsters. A guy I knew had sex with his 15 year old girlfriend when he was 18 and he was put on the sex offender's register because her family found out and were livid. They ruined his life. It is completely unfair that that will haunt him for the rest of his life.

joeysteele 20-02-2014 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zee (Post 6723075)
Clearly half the people in this thread didn't actually read what was said beyond the title... I agree with her, the law is deeply flawed. Nobody's saying repeat offenders should be allowed access to children; but not all sex offenders are twisted monsters. A guy I knew had sex with his 15 year old girlfriend when he was 18 and he was put on the sex offender's register because her family found out and were livid. They ruined his life. It is completely unfair that that will haunt him for the rest of his life.

It is completely unfair I agree, that is a good post Zee.
Maybe more rational guidelines are called for.

Vicky. 20-02-2014 09:19 PM

I think theres a massive difference between someone who has sex with someone who is 15 and what I would define as a pedophile. I actually think its really wrong to lump them together in the same category really...I know having sex with someone underage is very wrong, but its miles apart from it being an actual child. Also some people have sex with 14/15 year olds without even knowing about it...given that you can find them in clubs and such, and they can look much older than even 18 year olds these days..and honestly, has anyone ever asked someone for proof of age before doing them?

I will never forget when one of my best mates took a girl home, she told him the next morning she was 16 in a few months time, and he was ****ing mortified. I actually saw her and I would have put her at about 20 ish :S Nothing ever came of it, but if she had reported him, he could have been stuck with the pedo label for life(assuming she wasnt jut saying it to shock him of course...some girls are sick like that)

I think sex with a minor (15) when young yourself shouldnt affect you for the rest of your life.

Kizzy 20-02-2014 09:25 PM

Oh I think it goes deeper than that...

'This will retain the best features of the VBS, but will not require registration or
monitoring (meaning that there will no longer be an intrusive database
containing the details of 9.3m people)
and will only cover those who
may have regular or close contact with vulnerable groups, defined as “regulated activity”
in legislation.'

'The following are examples of roles where the law would have required
registration with the Vetting & Barring Scheme, but
where the new
arrangements will let organisations decide whether and how to check, as
either the individual’s role does not require them to interact with vulnerable
groups for a sustained length of time, or they do so under supervision:'

Cleaner in an old
people’s care home

Sunday school helper

Medicines counter assistant

Volunteer parent literacy helper

Maintenance worker in a children’s hospital

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...vbs-report.pdf

Ammi 21-02-2014 04:40 AM

..I do agree on the volunteer parent literacy helper and parent helpers in general, it's silly all the procedures they have to go through to hear children read and there is usually a member of staff present when they're with the child...all it does is put people off volunteering to help at their child's school and schools rely on helpers quite a bit...

Jake. 21-02-2014 05:35 AM

In regards to Greg's post, mine was referring to paedophiles, guilty i'll admit of skimming the OP

Nedusa 21-02-2014 07:30 AM

I think underage sex between two post pubescent teenagers where one is 14,15 and the other 16,17 or 18 should not be classed as statutory rape and the older party whilst facing some kind of punishment this should not result in the application of the term Paedophile and this person should not be put on a sex offenders register.

I think there needs to be more classifications within the existing law because clearly two teenagers having sex where one is 15 and the other 16 does not make the 16 yr a sexual deviant , rapist, Paedophile nor should this person suffer by classed as such by society.

A good example of a well meaning law which is too broad and clearly covers the actions of groups of people who should be dealt with under different legislation.