ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   BB15 (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=647)
-   -   Confirmed US broadcaster Viacom buys channel 5 for £450 Million. (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249508)

JohnnyBB 30-04-2014 07:02 PM

Confirmed US broadcaster Viacom buys channel 5 for £450 Million.

Quote:

Richard Desmond is poised to announce the sale of Channel 5 to the US broadcaster that owns MTV for as much as £450m.

The US broadcaster, which owns channels including Nickelodeon and Comedy Central, is expected to announce the deal to the New York stock market on Thursday or Friday at the latest.

The deal is short of the typically aggressive £700m-plus target originally set by Desmond, the owner of the Daily Express and Daily Star.

But it nonetheless makes for a significant profit on the £103.5m he paid to buy the then loss-making Channel 5 from the German broadcaster RTL in 2010.

It is not clear what Viacom will do with Channel 5's £350m-a-year TV ad sales business. But it is thought likely that it will involve Rupert Murdoch's Sky.

BSkyB handles the TV ad sales in the UK for Viacom – the US broadcaster is Sky Media's biggest customer – and it is most likely to incorporate Channel 5's sales into its existing deal.

Desmond based his valuation on 10 times anticipated profits of £70m this year, but a number of analysts had set a top end valuation of £400m to £500m.

Advertisement

The deal would allow the US pay-TV company to make a major move into free-to-air television in the UK.

In the UK it has moved into commissioning more original, homegrown shows for its key channels MTV, Comedy Central and Nickelodeon.

Viacom has invested heavily in entertainment, reality and children's television, which would make it a good fit for Channel 5.

It makes shows such as MTV's structured reality series Geordie Shore – which made a star of Charlotte Crosby, who went on to win Channel 5's Celebrity Big Brother.

In addition, along with Channel 5, Viacom invested in Peppa Pig via Nick Jr, which airs on Channel 5's children's segment Milkshake and on Nick Jr.

Channel 5 shows include the US drama imports CSI and The Mentalist, Edie Stobart: Trucks & Trailers, The Hotel Inspector and Extreme Fishing with Robson Green.

The broadcaster's children's strand Milkshake features shows including Peppa Pig, Fireman Sam and Thomas & Friends.

Channel 5 has six channels – the flagship Channel 5, 5* and 5 USA, and a +1, one-hour time-shifted variant for each – some of which could be converted to pay services.

Rivals including BSkyB and Discovery, which was considered the frontrunner to buy Channel 5, have expanded their operations into the free-to-air market.

Viacom declined to comment. Northern & Shell, Channel 5's parent company, said no deal had yet been concluded.
Source http://www.theguardian.com/media/201...medium=twitter

Jake. 30-04-2014 07:03 PM

I wonder what this will mean for BB

Ramsay 30-04-2014 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake. (Post 6822161)

DEATH

King Gizzard 30-04-2014 07:05 PM

How much did Big Dez buy it for?

Tregard 30-04-2014 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake. (Post 6822161)

Either it's gone or getting more structured, most likely.

King Gizzard 30-04-2014 07:06 PM

I should have read the OP

MTVN 30-04-2014 07:08 PM

BB will surely stay though it become even more trashy

Jordan. 30-04-2014 07:09 PM

Quote:

Viacom has invested heavily in entertainment, reality and children's television, which would make it a good fit for Channel 5.

It makes shows such as MTV's structured reality series Geordie Shore – which made a star of Charlotte Crosby, who went on to win Channel 5's Celebrity Big Brother
Bb should be fine

T* 30-04-2014 07:09 PM

Omfg, Viacom is a horrid company. This isn't going to be good for big brother. This could mean that ANY fan videos of the upcoming series' will be deleted, They're really anal about everything.

King Gizzard 30-04-2014 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom! (Post 6822179)
Omfg, Viacom is a horrid company. This isn't going to be good for big brother. This could mean that ANY fan videos of the upcoming series' will be deleted, They're really anal about everything.

Yup, they watch all torrenting and download activity too from my experience

@bbuk_fans 30-04-2014 07:11 PM

I'm confident BB will stay on Channel 5 if this sale is confirmed. Viacom know what they're doing with MTV and have many successful reality shows and marketing for these shows work very well. I would possibly expect a few more cast members from MTV shows to appear on CBB and BOTS

JohnnyBB 30-04-2014 07:12 PM

Is it bad i want bb axed im realy fed up with the way it is now, dont get me wrong its entertaing but i dont like the format id rarther see it axed.

Josiah. 30-04-2014 07:20 PM

I'd rather see BB go back to Channel 4 since Channel 5's been bought by Viacom.

arista 30-04-2014 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom! (Post 6822179)

Rubbish they may even give us Live Feed

Big Brother
gets the most viewers for Ch5
and Ch5HD

arista 30-04-2014 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josiah. (Post 6822201)
I'd rather see BB go back to Channel 4 since Channel 5's been bought by Viacom.

Ch4 does not want BB

Marsh. 30-04-2014 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan. (Post 6822178)
Bb should be fine

Depends what you mean by "fine". Not axed? Maybe.

But getting worse? I'd say it's highly likely.

@bbuk_fans 30-04-2014 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 08marsh (Post 6822233)
Depends what you mean by "fine". Not axed? Maybe.

But getting worse? I'd say it's highly likely.

Producers & exec producers will likely remain the same though.

Marsh. 30-04-2014 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @bbuk_fans (Post 6822244)
Producers & exec producers will likely remain the same though.

But the channel will have a huge influence, after all they are the ones paying for it.

Otherwise the show would most likely still resemble its channel 4 days.

T* 30-04-2014 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arista (Post 6822202)
Rubbish they may even give us Live Feed

Big Brother
gets the most viewers for Ch5
and Ch5HD

:facepalm: I'm presuming you didn't read my post properly?

Samm 30-04-2014 07:34 PM

BB is mainly run by the production team, not the channel

@bbuk_fans 30-04-2014 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 08marsh (Post 6822254)
But the channel will have a huge influence, after all they are the ones paying for it.

Otherwise the show would most likely still resemble its channel 4 days.

Well I guess its just a case of waiting. I would imagine only a few people know the future of the format/show because of all the sale stuff going on at the moment. There would be no point Endemol reaching a deal with Desmond if he sells off the business to Viacom. Endemol will have a big say as well though.

Samm 30-04-2014 07:39 PM

Lmao at people thinking that it will get worse just because the broadcaster has some sh*t show's, not every show is the same

@bbuk_fans 30-04-2014 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam <3 (Post 6822270)
Lmao at people thinking that it will get worse just because the broadcaster has some sh*t show's, not every show is the same

Agreed. People should stop making assumptions.

arista 30-04-2014 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom! (Post 6822258)
:facepalm: I'm presuming you didn't read my post properly?

I read all your post.

your Facts are Wrong

T* 30-04-2014 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arista (Post 6822288)
I read all your post.

your Facts are Wrong

Oh really? My facts are wrong even though they had a big spat about it a few years ago?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viacom_..._YouTube,_Inc..

They are a horrid and unethical company.