ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Chat and Games (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Say something controversial (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265248)

Conzors 21-09-2014 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GypsyGoth (Post 7280385)
Since so many think that cyber bully isn't a serious issue, I'm gonna be controversial and say I think it is.

Being picked on, insulted, targeted and having it there constantly, that's pretty serious. Also unlike face to face bullying, cyber bully is often done anonymously.

How is the victim stopping going online a fair solution to the problem?

This has made me stop and think, and maybe i worded what i was trying to express wrong. When it starts to happen frequently and becomes harrasment then it becomes a serious issue. Anonymity can be an issue but then they can also just be blocked.

I just think that anything someone says online can be easily ignored and shrugged to one side as it is someone totally anonymous so it would be easier to block and delete them.

If its cyber bullying from someone they know then surely this counts as normal bullying (which is wrong in all ways) as it transfers from in person to online (which is where the line is drawn)

xx

Ninastar 21-09-2014 11:18 PM

My controversial opinion is that too many people spend their time getting offended over stupid things. Whether it's racial remarks, homophobic slurs, general bullying, whatever...

I feel nothing can be said anymore. Everything is OTT PC. Instead of people being offended by everything, and teaching people 'not to say things' you should teach people not to be offended from a young age. Kids should be taught and told very often that there will ALWAYS be someone who doesn't like you. For whatever reason. But why should that matter? It's just ONE opinion, and a bad/not true one at that.

You should be taught to love yourself, no matter what other people say.

Liam- 21-09-2014 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninastar (Post 7280407)
My controversial opinion is that too many people spend their time getting offended over stupid things. Whether it's racial remarks, homophobic slurs, general bullying, whatever...

I feel nothing can be said anymore. Everything is OTT PC. Instead of people being offended by everything, and teaching people 'not to say things' you should teach people not to be offended from a young age. Kids should be taught and told very often that there will ALWAYS be someone who doesn't like you. For whatever reason. But why should that matter? It's just ONE opinion, and a bad/not true one at that.

100% agree :clap1:

Marsh. 21-09-2014 11:21 PM

Liam loves himself a little too much tbh. :idc:

armand.kay 21-09-2014 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninastar (Post 7280407)

i don't agree that everything should be so pc i believe in freedom of speech but i also think that if you say something that offends someone you should be prepared for the backlash and be prepared to defend your point instead of having a meltdown and complaining that people get too offended or saying "its just my opinion".

GypsyGoth 21-09-2014 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conzors (Post 7280400)
This has made me stop and think, and maybe i worded what i was trying to express wrong. When it starts to happen frequently and becomes harrasment then it becomes a serious issue. Anonymity can be an issue but then they can also just be blocked.

I just think that anything someone says online can be easily ignored and shrugged to one side as it is someone totally anonymous so it would be easier to block and delete them.

If its cyber bullying from someone they know then surely this counts as normal bullying (which is wrong in all ways) as it transfers from in person to online (which is where the line is drawn)

xx

Well it's cyber bullying when when you can access what has been said about you (or pics that have been put online without your consent) by phone, laptop or any other device. That's the cyber part, and it doesn't matter if you know them, it doesn't change it to a different type of bullying.

And it's called bullying because that is how the person feels. So it's not one or two rude things being said by some, its relentless. And it's not like just being bothered by an anonymous troll. It's usually a person (or people) known to the victim, and they use anonymity, I guess so they don't get caught. Cyber bullying can seriously damage someone's self esteem, and it has been a contributing factor in suicides.

And as I mentioned there isn't an escape from it, even in your bedroom, if you have a laptop or smartphone, the bullies can get you there.

Liam- 21-09-2014 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsh. (Post 7280412)
Liam loves himself a little too much tbh. :idc:

I have to, no-one else will :inamood:

Ninastar 21-09-2014 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armand.kay (Post 7280416)
i don't agree that everything should be so pc i believe in freedom of speech but i also think that if you say something that offends someone you should be prepared for the backlash and be prepared to defend your point instead of having a meltdown and complaining that people get too offended or saying "its just my opinion".

I personally just think you should ignore it. Fighting with them isnt going to change their racist/homophobic/dumb opinion anyway. Dont give them the thrill of an argument.

Kyle 21-09-2014 11:31 PM

Here are my reasons for why Titanic is a sh*t movie

+ there is romance in it
+ if there's romance in it at least show Kate Winslets muff, they failed to do that.
+ the plot. I already knew the boat was gonna sink before I watched it. Ruined.
+ Celine Dion
+ Leonardo do caprio is annoying,
+ the Captain looks too much like Captain birds eye. Destroyed my immersion
+ Celine Dion again.

armand.kay 21-09-2014 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninastar (Post 7280425)
I personally just think you should ignore it. Fighting with them isnt going to change their racist/homophobic/dumb opinion anyway. Dont give them the thrill of an argument.

At times I would ignore the idiots if I don't have the time or patience but most times I just can't resist clocking and humiliating the ignorant :fan:

Shaun 21-09-2014 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiamPRW (Post 7280048)
I don't like gay people who get offended over stupid little comments even if they're not personally directed at them;
'Omg that's so gay'
'Don't be gay' etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackF (Post 7280238)
I can't stand most old people. They are just rude ***** who have no respect so why the **** should we respect them

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackF (Post 7280272)
Another thing is black people on twitter. Why the **** do they need to have the word ***** in every ****ing sentence. ****ing pisses me off!!

can we bring back the razzies just for this thread please

#teamGypsyGothre:thebullyingthing

Liam- 21-09-2014 11:51 PM

What are the razzies? :laugh:

Ninastar 21-09-2014 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armand.kay (Post 7280438)
At times I would ignore the idiots if I don't have the time or patience but most times I just can't resist clocking and humiliating the ignorant :fan:

but they dont care... you're not going to change what they think by 'humiliating' them. They probably aren't even embarrassed by their thoughts

Kyle 22-09-2014 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiamPRW (Post 7280456)
What are the razzies? :laugh:

An awards thread for stupid things people say and do.

Liam- 22-09-2014 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle (Post 7280475)
An awards thread for stupid things people say and do.

Well that's rude :laugh:

Firewire 22-09-2014 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle (Post 7280382)
I'd stay clear of the 'controversial opinions' thread then if I were you. :hehe:

Im not gonna argue with you, that's the point of the thread. I was just commenting on armand's post, because his wasn't an opinion :tongue:

Ammi 22-09-2014 03:05 AM

..I agree with Claudia..its not as simple as an ‘off button’ with cyber bullying because you’re being bullied in your home, in your own space, in your own room, type thing and if you were to ‘switch off’ from that, then you’re being forced to switch off from a huge part of ‘life’ because the internet, social media etc is a huge part of most people’s lives and a place where they should be able to interact otherwise if they feel they can’t because of bullying..then they’re being ‘isolated’..?..and so the bullying extends into their real life...if they post a pic or something/whatever on Facebook..?..and that was poked fun at/ridiculed etc/someone was being spiteful about it/maybe a group of people..then others can also go hahahaha etc and these could be people from school/college/uni etc and then that person can feel as though everyone is laughing at them ..so maybe they’re reluctant to go to school/interact etc and just become withdrawn...that would also be a time where they could at least talk to friends and people on the internet but that’s been taken from them as well/the feeling of ‘safety’ there....

..quite often people are cyber bullied by someone who they don’t even know..just someone who has ‘judged’ them when they haven’t even ever spoken to them...the internet can be like a huge ‘Chinese whispers’ of ‘gossip’ type thing...things can be evolved through people who just want the ‘drama’ or who are just basically negative people and then that person can feel the whole world is ridiculing them...that feeling is real/it’s as real as any face to face bullying..it’s not something that can be switched off from...also because the person being bullied may spend a huge amount of time on the internet anyway because they’re not that confident in their real lives and they find it an easier way...teenagers in general aren’t always that confident are they... because of the changes their bodies and emotions are going through...it’s just so easy behind a computer screen to lose sight that there is a ‘real person’ on the other end of these spiteful remarks and how the people themselves would feel if they were directed at them and then everyone was 'lolling' at them....

....anyway, an extreme I know but in safety vids that we’re shown at schools..it also shows how things like cyber-bullying, which can lead to those feelings of isolation especially in younger people..and at a time when maybe they also don’t feel ‘understood’ by parents etc, so maybe don’t feel that they can share and confide concerns/worries with them..?..or maybe they don’t have that relationship with their parents anyway....can lead to also being targeted by something even more sinister..because that person can become their ‘confidant’ ..the person who ‘understands’ them when they’re not actually who they’re appearing to be at all....but maybe caution is not what it should be because the ‘bullied’ so needs someone who ‘understands’ and someone to talk to etc....cyber bullying is extremely real and serious....and actually with recent events especially, I’m surprised that anyone on the forum would think otherwise....

Kyle 22-09-2014 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firewire (Post 7280495)
Im not gonna argue with you, that's the point of the thread. I was just commenting on armand's post, because his wasn't an opinion :tongue:

But what if I want an argument? :bawling:

arista 22-09-2014 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conzors (Post 7280300)
I don't understand 'cyber bullying' - if someone is trying to bully you online- block them, turn off the computer - IT CAN BE PREVENTED.

At last some Common Sense

Life In The City

Samm 22-09-2014 07:08 AM

People who get bullied make then self more of a victim

Mitchell 22-09-2014 07:51 AM

Nadine > Cheryl

Kyle 22-09-2014 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pothuthic (Post 7280631)
Nadine > Cheryl

I've tolerated some real outlandish stuff so far but You've gone too far Mitch :nono:

Marc 22-09-2014 08:05 AM

Poo shouldn't be a taboo topic; grow up

Jay. 22-09-2014 10:18 AM

I like Marmite

Mitchell 22-09-2014 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle (Post 7280632)
I've tolerated some real outlandish stuff so far but You've gone too far Mitch :nono:

I'm sorry :bawling: