ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Northampton: Six-Month-Old Baby Mauled To Death By Dog (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265853)

arista 04-10-2014 02:45 PM

Northampton: Six-Month-Old Baby Mauled To Death By Dog

http://news.sky.com/story/1347434/si...o-death-by-dog

People must learn about dogs and very young babies

[A baby girl has died and a relative has been injured in a dog attack
at a home in Northamptonshire.
Police said they were called to an address in Daventry
at around 10.30pm on Friday night after
receiving reports of the attack.
Paramedics from East Midlands Ambulance Service
attempted to resuscitate the six-month-old baby girl, but were unsuccessful.]

kirklancaster 04-10-2014 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arista (Post 7306491)
http://news.sky.com/story/1347434/si...o-death-by-dog

People must learn about dogs and very young babies

[A baby girl has died and a relative has been injured in a dog attack
at a home in Northamptonshire.
Police said they were called to an address in Daventry
at around 10.30pm on Friday night after
receiving reports of the attack.
Paramedics from East Midlands Ambulance Service
attempted to resuscitate the six-month-old baby girl, but were unsuccessful.]

**********G sickening and enraging.

rubymoo 04-10-2014 03:27 PM

So sad:(

As much as I love my dogs, I'd never leave them alone with a baby, dogs are animals with instinct, so tragic.

Creggle 04-10-2014 03:31 PM

Parents are to blame, not the dog.

LeatherTrumpet 04-10-2014 03:33 PM

waits for the inevitable dog breed racism

arista 04-10-2014 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Creggle (Post 7306546)
Parents are to blame, not the dog.

Bang On Right Creggle

Kazanne 04-10-2014 04:11 PM

Do people EVER learn?

joeysteele 05-10-2014 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kazanne (Post 7306625)
Do people EVER learn?

No Kazanne, clearly they don't.

My Dog is a Staffie, he is really gentle but I would never leave him with any child and especially not a baby.

There have been many cases now of children being attacked by Dogs even in their own home and for me that is down to Parenting and the owners of the Dogs.
How anyone now doesn't realise the 2 don't mix and that no Dog should be left with any child alone is beyond me.
Same with Cats to be honest, I have seen faces of Babies badly scratched and scarred in a great mess from Cats jumping into their cots or prams too.

If you have a pet and have young children, keep them apart until someone older is present too,just in case.
For crying out loud, it should be a simple enough rule to follow.

Cherie 05-10-2014 09:05 AM

It is not always a case of being left on their own though, alot of the time the dog pounces and the adult just can't overpower the dog in time to save the child, it's tragic but at the risk of upsetting LT certain breeds should never be family pets

LeatherTrumpet 05-10-2014 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 7307948)
It is not always a case of being left on their own though, alot of the time the dog pounces and the adult just can't overpower the dog in time to save the child, it's tragic but at the risk of upsetting LT certain breeds should never be family pets

Like what breed?

joeysteele 05-10-2014 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 7307948)

To a degree you can train a Dog to behave and obey you, I don't believe in turning Dogs into robots but you can teach them what to avoid etc;

I just wish,parents would 'guide' their children not to rush up to Dogs, I have lost count of the times when out with my Dog, that a child has come running over to stroke him.
I never allow that,he wouldn't do anthing,I am as sure as I can be of that but I am protecting him as well as the children too.
Yet, I get really stern glances and words like 'misery' or 'spoilsport' from the parent/s because I refused to let the child stroke my Dog.

I don't think it is necessarily down to a breed of Dog,the only Dog that has ever bitten me was a Jack Russell,it is that children and Dogs on their own may not mix.
A Dog will rarely,to be honest attack anyone it knows without some provocation or neglect as to it.
Responsible owners and responsible Parents,then there would I dare bet be very few instances of cases like this.

Ninastar 05-10-2014 11:12 AM

3 guesses as to what type of dog it was

rubymoo 05-10-2014 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeysteele (Post 7307957)
To a degree you can train a Dog to behave and obey you, I don't believe in turning Dogs into robots but you can teach them what to avoid etc;

I just wish,parents would 'guide' their children not to rush up to Dogs, I have lost count of the times when out with my Dog, that a child has come running over to stroke him.
I never allow that,he wouldn't do anthing,I am as sure as I can be of that but I am protecting him as well as the children too.
Yet, I get really stern glances and words like 'misery' or 'spoilsport' from the parent/s because I refused to let the child stroke my Dog.

I don't think it is necessarily down to a breed of Dog,the only Dog that has ever bitten me was a Jack Russell,it is that children and Dogs on their own may not mix.
A Dog will rarely,to be honest attack anyone it knows without some provocation or neglect as to it.
Responsible owners and responsible Parents,then there would I dare bet be very few instances of cases like this.

I've had this too Joey.

Children rushing up to stroke my dogs.....i've had to give many talks to strangers children about not approaching dogs they don't know, i tell the children they must always ask to stroke a strange dog and to never run at them head on, the parents usually just look on smiling like it's my job to teach their kids about the dangers of dogs:fist:

Toy Soldier 05-10-2014 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeysteele (Post 7307947)
No Kazanne, clearly they don't.

My Dog is a Staffie, he is really gentle but I would never leave him with any child and especially not a baby.

There have been many cases now of children being attacked by Dogs even in their own home and for me that is down to Parenting and the owners of the Dogs.
How anyone now doesn't realise the 2 don't mix and that no Dog should be left with any child alone is beyond me.
Same with Cats to be honest, I have seen faces of Babies badly scratched and scarred in a great mess from Cats jumping into their cots or prams too.

If you have a pet and have young children, keep them apart until someone older is present too,just in case.
For crying out loud, it should be a simple enough rule to follow.

You have to watch cats with babies even more closely to be honest, because one of the biggest problems is an adult cat falling asleep on a baby's face and suffocating them. They can be the sweetest and gentlest cat in the world, it doesn't matter because they have no idea that they're hurting anyone... they're just curling up in a warm place... and they have no concept that infant humans can't roll / move / remove them if they need to.

I guess the big difference with cats and dogs though is that with an adult around, a cat could scratch a child (badly, even) but beyond a light scar there's no real damage they could do if supervised. An adult being around doesn't necessarily matter with a dog... if a dog gets it into it's head to attack a baby, it can do so and cause severe damage or death before anyone can even react.

LeatherTrumpet 05-10-2014 01:34 PM

If you look at the number of humans in the UK, the number of dogs and the number of humans with dogs and babies I think we will find that this is a very isolated incident

joeysteele 05-10-2014 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubymoo (Post 7308020)
I've had this too Joey.

Children rushing up to stroke my dogs.....i've had to give many talks to strangers children about not approaching dogs they don't know, i tell the children they must always ask to stroke a strange dog and to never run at them head on, the parents usually just look on smiling like it's my job to teach their kids about the dangers of dogs:fist:

Spot on.
Also the child obviously doesn't know but running directly towards a Dog is in effect seen by it as threatening and challenging to it.

JoshBB 05-10-2014 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 7306550)
waits for the inevitable dog breed racism

"omg gomg gomgomg a pitbull dunit we should ban ALL OF THEM FILFY ANIMALS"

Gstar 05-10-2014 04:29 PM

Will people ever learn?

Toy Soldier 05-10-2014 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubymoo (Post 7308020)
I've had this too Joey.

To be fair though, most young children can't remember to wipe their arse every time they take a ****, let alone the correct body language to use with an animal... And if it is indeed true that there's a real risk of dogs attacking children for... Well... Running around being children... Then perhaps we shouldn't be keeping them as pets at all?

Cherie 05-10-2014 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshBB (Post 7308370)
"omg gomg gomgomg a pitbull dunit we should ban ALL OF THEM FILFY ANIMALS"

It was a banned breed that killed the baby, I'm guessing that family would give anything to turn back the clock on their decision to have a banned breed as a pet.

rubymoo 05-10-2014 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 7308433)
To be fair though, most young children can't remember to wipe their arse every time they take a ****, let alone the correct body language to use with an animal... And if it is indeed true that there's a real risk of dogs attacking children for... Well... Running around being children... Then perhaps we shouldn't be keeping them as pets at all?

My dogs are really friendly, but parents should teach children about dogs.

I'd be devastated without my dogs:bawling:

The parents should take responsibility of their children and dog owners should take responsibility for their dogs.

rubymoo 05-10-2014 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 7308462)
It was a banned breed that killed the baby, I'm guessing that family would give anything to turn back the clock on their decision to have a banned breed as a pet.

Why the **** have they got a banned breed:rant:

joeysteele 05-10-2014 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toy Soldier (Post 7308433)

No way, look, my Dog is always on a lead when I take him out, I only ever let him off for a time if I am 100% sure there is no one else around.
Why should people not have Dogs as pets just because Parents don't keep an eye on their children properly.

From being 3 I knew things I hadn't to touch from the instructions of my Parents.
Any child under 3 and in fact even older, should not be left anywhere with a Dog and that is the Parents responsibilty as much as any Dog owners.

I get people letting their young child run over to me when I have the Dog, 'on harness and lead',why should I or others not have a Dog when adult Parents act irresponsibly and don't set out to protect their children.

Dogs left alone,especially by strangers, do absolutely no harm. No way should people not be able to keep Dogs.
There are maybe some people who are not so well equipped to be good,protective Parents in the way many,in fact the great majority of Dog owners are protective as to their pets.

kirklancaster 05-10-2014 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeysteele (Post 7309517)
No way, look, my Dog is always on a lead when I take him out, I only ever let him off for a time if I am 100% sure there is no one else around.
Why should people not have Dogs as pets just because Parents don't keep an eye on their children properly.

From being 3 I knew things I hadn't to touch from the instructions of my Parents.
Any child under 3 and in fact even older, should not be left anywhere with a Dog and that is the Parents responsibilty as much as any Dog owners.

I get people letting their young child run over to me when I have the Dog, 'on harness and lead',why should I or others not have a Dog when adult Parents act irresponsibly and don't set out to protect their children.

Dogs left alone,especially by strangers, do absolutely no harm. No way should people not be able to keep Dogs.
There are maybe some people who are not so well equipped to be good,protective Parents in the way many,in fact the great majority of Dog owners are protective as to their pets.

:clap1::clap1::clap1:

In this country, there are atrocious dog owners who are also very poor parents. Anyone electing to have children should raise their children in a stable, loving home and be responsible for looking after those children. It is exactly the same with dogs (or any pets for that matter).

Children are naive and don't know any better, dogs - even the most well trained and disciplined - have basic animal instincts. Generally, it is neither the dogs fault nor the child's, it is the ignorant owners and/or parents.

We have 3 Shi Tzus and three children and like to think we have raised and cared for all six in the appropriate manner.

In this case, however, the dogs were banned dogs and the people responsible for this needless shocking tragedy should be held to account, but banning all people from keeping dogs is punishing the innocent because of the guilty and is a no no.

kirklancaster 05-10-2014 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninastar (Post 7308019)
3 guesses as to what type of dog it was

You were right.