ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   CBB15 (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=660)
-   -   Alicia Douvall Dyslexia: An explanation (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271211)

Benjamin 20-01-2015 09:57 PM

Dyslexia: An explanation

I have seen a few people who are incapable of understanding some of the problems Alicis has including her ability to recite the alphabet.

Maybe you should have a little read of this and educate yourselves. ;)

Quote:

Dyslexia is a common learning difficulty that mainly affects the way people read and spell words.

Signs and symptoms

Dyslexia is a spectrum disorder, with symptoms ranging from mild to severe.

People with dyslexia have particular difficulty with:

phonological awareness
verbal memory
rapid serial naming
verbal processing speed

These terms are explained in more detail below.

Phonological awareness
Phonological awareness is thought to be a key skill in early reading and spelling development. It is the ability to identify how words are made up of smaller units of sound, known as phonemes. Changes in the sounds that make up words can lead to changes in their meaning.
For example, a child with a good level of phonological awareness would understand that if you change the letter "p" in the word "pat" to "s", the word becomes "sat".

Verbal memory
Verbal memory is the ability to remember a sequence of verbal information for a short period of time.
For example, the ability to remember a short list such as "red, blue, green", or a set of simple instructions, such as "Put on your gloves and your hat, find the lead for the dog and then go to the park."

Rapid serial naming
This is the ability to name a series of colours, objects or numbers as fast as possible.

Verbal processing speed
Verbal processing speed is the time it takes to process and recognise familiar verbal information, such as letters and digits.
For example, someone with a good verbal processing speed has the ability to quickly write down unfamiliar words when they are spelled out, or write down telephone numbers they are told.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Dyslexi...roduction.aspx

smudgie 20-01-2015 10:02 PM

Such a shame she wasn't given more attention when she was younger.

I wonder if she has ever been diagnosed or if she has self diagnosed.
Took years for my daughter to get her diagnosis, schools were not really interested or capable at the time.

Josy 20-01-2015 10:04 PM

I tired to explain a lot of this last night Ben sadly people still feel the need to make nasty spiteful comments.

Benjamin 20-01-2015 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josy (Post 7512928)
I tired to explain a lot of this last night Ben sadly people still feel the need to make nasty spiteful comments.

Yeah, I get people don't like her, but the fact they feel the need (in the house and on the forums) to be rude about an actual disorder she has is disgusting.

Josy 20-01-2015 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin (Post 7512935)
Yeah, I get people don't like her, but the fact they feel the need (in the house and on the forums) to be rude about an actual disorder she has is disgusting.

Couldn't agree more.

Creggle 20-01-2015 10:07 PM

No it explains nothing, we know what dyslexia is... Doesn't at all explain why anybody would generally be stupid because they have trouble with grammar, spelling and reading. It's like you 'omg but she's dyslexic' people are trying to brand dyslexic people as thick just to make Katie H etc. look bad for calling a dyslexic person thick.

Jack The Cat 20-01-2015 10:07 PM

Good OP. Cheers

Josy 20-01-2015 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Creggle (Post 7512944)
No it explains nothing, we know what dyslexia is... Doesn't at all explain why anybody would generally be stupid because they have trouble with grammar, spelling and reading. It's like you 'omg but she's dyslexic' people are trying to brand dyslexic people as thick just to make Katie H etc. look bad for calling a dyslexic person thick.

Dyslexia isnt just about grammar spelling and reading though....

Benjamin 20-01-2015 10:09 PM

Quote:

I'm talking about people mocking her for not knowing the alphabet and things like that, that is down to her dyslexia.

Cherie 20-01-2015 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin (Post 7512935)

:clap1:

Benjamin 20-01-2015 10:14 PM

Quote:

Also, not everyone does know what dyslexia is, especially judging by some of the posts I have seen of late.

Kazanne 20-01-2015 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin (Post 7512868)
I have seen a few people who are incapable of understanding some of the problems Alicis has including her ability to recite the alphabet.

Maybe you should have a little read of this and educate yourselves. ;)

Where does it say Alicia HAS dyslexia,as I have read some stuff on the net and no where does it say she has it and we all know she tells porkies.

Headie 20-01-2015 10:16 PM

Quote:

#BanThem

MB. 20-01-2015 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kazanne (Post 7513006)
Where does it say Alicia HAS dyslexia,as I have read some stuff on the net and no where does it say she has it and we all know she tells porkies.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Douval...t.-a0151488956

But because you don't like her, that means she's lying. Right.

Amy Jade 20-01-2015 10:18 PM

I have dyslexia, all through high school I had to be segregated in IT because I had to have a special screen to type on I had to go sit in a different class room with people who had been chucked out of class for bad behaviour because numbers on a page or a board looked like they were dancing in my head. I am very aware of what dyslexia is and how it effects you.

I'm sorry but it does nor excuse some of the idiot things Alicia has said, she clearly told us she learned the alphabet through teaching her kids. She could have taken the time to educate herself a long time ago. Basically she's what I despise in dyslexia sufferers, she makes us look lazy. Nobodys the same obviously but seeing as she has eventually learned she most likely used being dyslexic as an excuse to be lazy. I worked very hard to get to the reading and writing level I am.

Kazanne 20-01-2015 10:19 PM

Quote:

I for one would sympathise for anyone with it but I really don't think she has it,have you a link to her story?

Mystic Mock 20-01-2015 10:21 PM

Poor Alicia.

I'm sure that you can help teach her Benjamin.:hugesmile:

Creggle 20-01-2015 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin (Post 7512956)
I'm talking about people mocking her for not knowing the alphabet and things like that, that is down to her dyslexia.

Who's done this? :/

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josy (Post 7512951)
Dyslexia isnt just about grammar spelling and reading though....

No but dyslexia doesn't make somebody unintelligent. I haven't heard a comment in the house yet that has attacked something she can't help. Not that I agree with calling her thick but if the cap fits.

Benjamin 20-01-2015 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amy Jade (Post 7513022)
I have dyslexia, all through high school I had to be segregated in IT because I had to have a special screen to type on I had to go sit in a different class room with people who had been chucked out of class for bad behaviour because numbers on a page or a board looked like they were dancing in my head. I am very aware of what dyslexia is and how it effects you.

I'm sorry but it does nor excuse some of the idiot things Alicia has said, she clearly told us she learned the alphabet through teaching her kids. She could have taken the time to educate herself a long time ago. Basically she's what I despise in dyslexia sufferers, she makes us look lazy. Nobodys the same obviously but seeing as she has eventually learned she most likely used being dyslexic as an excuse to be lazy. I worked very hard to get to the reading and writing level I am.

You do know there are different types of dyslexia, some more severe than others so I fail to understand how you do not get annoyed at some of the things people say, even if you do hate her. I have a friend who really struggles with words and reading despite how hard they have tried.

Benjamin 20-01-2015 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Creggle (Post 7513036)

No but dyslexia doesn't make somebody unintelligent. I haven't heard a comment in the house yet that has attacked something she can't help. Not that I agree with calling her thick but if the cap fits.

Not you, but I have seen a few posts on here the last couple of days that have been.

MB. 20-01-2015 10:23 PM

Completely off-topic but Mystic Mock? D:

Kazanne 20-01-2015 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MB. (Post 7513019)
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Douval...t.-a0151488956

But because you don't like her, that means she's lying. Right.

Don't get your knickers in a twist,just because you like her,I don't like her , but ,all I said was I couldn't find the story on it, and she has proven to lie so I am bound to be dubious,if she has it fair enough,but as Amy Jade said it's no reason to be dim.

Benjamin 20-01-2015 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kazanne (Post 7513026)
I for one would sympathise for anyone with it but I really don't think she has it,have you a link to her story?

It's been known for a while, since around 2006 I believe when she first spoke about it. I will try find something on it.

Creggle 20-01-2015 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amy Jade (Post 7513022)

:worship::worship::worship:

Josy 20-01-2015 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Creggle (Post 7513036)

She has been called 'slow', dyslexia can cause reaction to be slower in some people...

She has been called 'thick' because of the way she speaks and according to Callum for not realising straight away whats going on when things are happening in the house, another classic sign of adult dyslexia.

Amy, my nephew has it, when he was younger he had the problems with the writing/reading side of things but funnily enough that went as he got older, he is a very intelligent person but sometimes his reactions are slower than normal, not always but sometimes.

You will very rarely find 2 people that suffer from dyslexia that will have the exact same symptoms.