ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums

ThisisBigBrother.com - UK TV Forums (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/index.php)
-   Serious Debates & News (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Is a degree worth anything nowadays? (https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274731)

Z 19-03-2015 05:50 PM

Is a degree worth anything nowadays?

Do you think there's still value in teenagers and young adults (or mature students!) getting a degree?

LeatherTrumpet 19-03-2015 05:57 PM

no

the minute they started making up unis and colleges the arse fell out of the kudos

"Oh I have a first class degree in Media Studies at the University of Castlemilk"

"aye right hen, huv you ever worked in a shop before? coz if ye huvny ye can do one and take yer degree way ye"

Tom4784 19-03-2015 05:59 PM

I imagine they'd make for decent drink coasters.

Jay. 19-03-2015 06:07 PM

Depends on which career. I'm going into teaching so it's necessary for me to get a degree. But some, you could probably do without I suppose.

LeatherTrumpet 19-03-2015 06:07 PM

University of Bedfordshire
University of Central Lancashire
University of Cumbria
Edge Hill University
University of Essex
Glyndŵr University
Leeds Beckett University
Liverpool Hope University
University of Portsmouth
etc

:umm2:

Kizzy 19-03-2015 06:08 PM

Of course there is, it shows you can dedicate yourself to 3yrs of study and have the skills set to apply yourself in theory and in practice.

Kizzy 19-03-2015 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 7647635)
University of Bedfordshire
University of Central Lancashire
University of Cumbria
Edge Hill University
University of Essex
Glyndŵr University
Leeds Beckett University
Liverpool Hope University
University of Portsmouth
etc

:umm2:

Do you have a degree LT?

Jack_ 19-03-2015 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 7647635)
University of Portsmouth

rude :hmph:

But no I'm sat in the library right now procrastinating on an essay that's due Tuesday and that I have no motivation to do (along with another 3000 word piece) and I'm wondering just what is the point

So this thread is probably badly timed :laugh:

Kizzy 19-03-2015 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack_ (Post 7647639)

But no I'm sat in the library right now procrastinating on an essay that's due Tuesday and that I have no motivation to do (along with another 3000 word piece) and I'm wondering just what is the point

My daughter graduates from Lancaster uni shortly and she almost gave up 100 times :laugh: Keep at it jack, 3000 words is nothing it's 2 sides of A4... piece of pis ;)

(hope that's some motivation)

LeatherTrumpet 19-03-2015 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 7647638)
Do you have a degree LT?

yes

Kizzy 19-03-2015 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 7647642)
yes

I don't mean in rescuing flies from whisky... :laugh:

arista 19-03-2015 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z (Post 7647610)
Do you think there's still value in teenagers and young adults (or mature students!) getting a degree?

Maybe later on in Life.

http://www.k-li.co.uk/wp-content/upl...eatshirt-1.jpg
But Now we need Grafters
not fecking Lazy Students

Feel The Force

LeatherTrumpet 19-03-2015 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 7647646)
I don't mean in rescuing flies from whisky... :laugh:

:inamood:

i have a hons degree in Geography from a well established and highly respected Scottish Uni by the sea

(obviously from a time when that meant something)

LeatherTrumpet 19-03-2015 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arista (Post 7647647)
Maybe later on in Life.

http://www.k-li.co.uk/wp-content/upl...eatshirt-1.jpg
But Now we need Grafters
not fecking Lazy Students

Feel The Force

yes, 10 hours a week?

disgusting when when need to stimulate the economy:nono:

arista 19-03-2015 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack_ (Post 7647639)

Jack Go with Your Heart

Kizzy 19-03-2015 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 7647648)
:inamood:

i have a hons degree in Geography from a well established and highly respected Scottish Uni by the sea

(obviously from a time when that meant something)

Not exactly vocational then, what's wrong with others getting degrees in their area of interest at the the universities you listed?

joeysteele 19-03-2015 06:36 PM

Yes, in my view.
However, I was swayed recently by what another member said as to heading straight to Uni and not really thinking more about what degree to go for.

I went to straight to Uni and got all I hoped for,I am aware too however that for some, more time between finishing education then going to Uni can be a good thing.

The important thing for me and I would say possibly for others is to go for a degree because you want to after analysing and thinking about all other options open as well.

LeatherTrumpet 19-03-2015 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 7647656)
Not exactly vocational then, what's wrong with others getting degrees in their area of interest at the the universities you listed?

because they join the workplace 3 or 4 years after their peers with 3/4 years less experience and then have peers who are stupider as bosses

get a job, use your intelligence to get promoted and get up the ladder quicker

when you retire you can get drunk, watch pointless and wank into the sink

Kizzy 19-03-2015 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 7647658)
because they join the workplace 3 or 4 years after their peers with 3/4 years less experience and then have peers who are stupider as bosses

get a job, use your intelligence to get promoted and get up the ladder quicker

when you retire you can get drunk, watch pointless and wank into the sink

I think that's a very outmoded view, the opportunities for young people are increasingly limited without.

LeatherTrumpet 19-03-2015 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 7647664)
I think that's a very outmoded view, the opportunities for young people are increasingly limited without.

in what industry?

Kizzy 19-03-2015 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet (Post 7647667)
in what industry?

The geographical industry :hehe:

LeatherTrumpet 19-03-2015 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizzy (Post 7647672)
The geographical industry :hehe:

:fist:

I am an expert in cross sectional data analysis and climatology

RichardG 19-03-2015 07:11 PM

Obviously some degree courses are more useful than others, and equally attending certain Universities will give you better prospects than attending others, but overall I reckon it's still worth the time and money if you put enough effort in and make those three years count. Yes it's not easy to get a job afterwards, but it would likely be a lot harder to move into a decent skilled career with good promotion prospects without one these days.

Vicky. 19-03-2015 07:13 PM

Depends what you want to do. Obviously for lawyers and that its all essential. But in general, degrees are useless and I do think a lot of people go to uni just for the lifestyle rather than giving a damn about education :joker:

Calderyon 19-03-2015 07:49 PM

Only if you continue studying. In terms of job getting, employers favor vocational/career school more.

At least thatīs how it is out here.